Nugget Shooter Forums

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, GotAU? said:

@frank c or @Bedrock Bob Another question about Franconia finds-  is hot and magnetic rhyolite common at Franconia?  It seems that most of the materials I found With my VLF detector on the north were probably that.  I do have one suspect piece that I want to research more... Do you have any links to closeup images of the internals of any Franconia chondrites, or thin section images of them?  Thanks!

There's a hot meteorwrong that is very common to Franconia, it sets off the detector and sticks to your magnet and has the right coloring, but upon examination you discover that it isn't a meteorite.  Maybe you found one of those?  I think I have a picture, let me look for it.

Edit: here's a pict

FrancWrong.jpg

Edited by Mikestang
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mikestang said:

There's a hot meteorwrong that is very common to Franconia, it sets off the detector and sticks to your magnet and has the right coloring, but upon examination you discover that it isn't a meteorite.  Maybe you found one of those?  I think I have a picture, let me look for it.

Edit: here's a pict

FrancWrong.jpg

Thank you for posting that.  I will cut mine open to see what’s up inside.  The exterior looks like yours, there is very little of what I would consider to be fusion crust left on it.  It doesn’t leave a color streak, and is also very dense, so I am also going to use a microscope to see if there is any visible metal in it. I’ll post a photo if I think results are positive.

• Like 1
On 2/13/2020 at 2:47 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

One of these days im going to look him up again. 

...one of these days...

Let us know when The Day happens.  Don't wait too long.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, GotAU? said:

You are absolutely right.

For others interested in going there: there are two main tracks and a third siding there, with lots of train activity in both directions, and currently maintenance going on (as of 5/2/20),  so it was very frequent that we saw trains, workers and other railroad vehicles in the crossing area.  I was expecting to see “right to pass revocable at anytime” signs like I’ve seen on some other BLM trail crossings elsewhere, hence my concerns.

Here’s another alternative we used that would be great for those doing a quick trip there instead of driving over the tracks.  One can access the strewn field on BLM land adjacent to the tracks on the north side by driving north on Franconia Road to the middle of the Franconia Wash crossing before you get to the railroad, and driving up the wash (sandy, 4wd may be needed) for about 2.1 miles to the strewn field. Use the trails in the wash, not the dirt road right next to the railroad.  Park within the strewn field area on the north side of the wash, and walk north through the drainage culverts under the tracks to get to the other side (there are two places with culverts).  These gave us very good access without any track issues.  Obviously, don’t try this during rainy weather!’

I've been to Franconia many times and this is some of what I learned about access.

Going over the tracks has really not been an 'issue' to me when I've gone to the Wilderness Area parking.  I get over and go back to almost Franconia Road and then turn North.  You can make the first turn and to to the parking area or you can keep to the left and go along the western edge of the circled area on Frank's map.  There are still meteorites out there.

On a couple of occasions I have seen a Railroad Guard.  One time I talked with one and he told me that there had been some thefts so they watched it closely.  The RR right of way is actually quite narrow so you can go down the wash and they don't care.  If you are on their improvements and riding along next to the track they can give you a ticket and fine.  This is authorized by law.  If you go up to the subdivision where Roger made the street signs this seems to be the greatest chance for a ticket.  If you go to the west as I described it gives you access to the old town and seems to be the only way even tho you are on the gravel bed of the tracks.

You can drive up the wash and get across the tracks by walking over the tracks or drive on further and go under the culverts that were mentioned.  Personally this has scared me on solo trips because of the sand.  Do not attempt it without 4WD.  The road was better years ago than it is now.

I've found many meteorites on the North side of the tracks.  Most of them are small irons that were 'blown in the winds' at the time.  I've never found a meteorite on the South side but I have found a couple of pieces of gold.  :thumbsupanim  Montana found his first gold over there also.

Mitchel

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I've been to Franconia many times and this is some of what I learned about access.

Going over the tracks has really not been an 'issue' to me when I've gone to the Wilderness Area parking.  I get over and go back to almost Franconia Road and then turn North.  You can make the first turn and to to the parking area or you can keep to the left and go along the western edge of the circled area on Frank's map.  There are still meteorites out there.

On a couple of occasions I have seen a Railroad Guard.  One time I talked with one and he told me that there had been some thefts so they watched it closely.  The RR right of way is actually quite narrow so you can go down the wash and they don't care.  If you are on their improvements and riding along next to the track they can give you a ticket and fine.  This is authorized by law.  If you go up to the subdivision where Roger made the street signs this seems to be the greatest chance for a ticket.  If you go to the west as I described it gives you access to the old town and seems to be the only way even tho you are on the gravel bed of the tracks.

You can drive up the wash and get across the tracks by walking over the tracks or drive on further and go under the culverts that were mentioned.  Personally this has scared me on solo trips because of the sand.  Do not attempt it without 4WD.  The road was better years ago than it is now.

I've found many meteorites on the North side of the tracks.  Most of them are small irons that were 'blown in the winds' at the time.  I've never found a meteorite on the South side but I have found a couple of pieces of gold.  :thumbsupanim  Montana found his first gold over there also.

Mitchel

I obviously picked a day on the RR maintenance schedule, but it worked out anyways by going through the culverts.  We also made it up to the north end on the BLM roads.

Gold on the south side, huh?  Obviously left over from meteorites!

JK!!:arrowheadsmiley: