Nugget Shooter Forums
Bghunter1

Franconia Strewn field

Looking for directions to the Franconia Stringfield I am here now outside of Franconia off I 40 can anyone help me please?

Take a look on this forum thread for the strewn field.   Scroll down to Uncle Ron's post from November 23, 2014. Several resources there to get you started.

You can also look over the MetBul map so you can see what the land ownership is there and avoid trespassing.

I think the string field is somewhere near the corn palace in South Dakota ...  unless they raked it up. :D

Edited by clay

BGHUNTER,  the I-40 is running thru the middle from east to west.
The EXIT is marked on left by the Interstate Shield in red pen.
As you can see the area is fairly large, theres plenty of room for a newbie to wander.
ALL the little arrows were recovered pieces as of 2006.
Hapy Huntn 
Photo Map credit James Smaller R.I.P. my friend.

IMG_20200208_142808870~3.jpg

• Like 4

There have been several different types of meteorites found in that area....dig everything!  Some very pretty irons have been found, most are small.

fred

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fredmason said:

There have been several different types of meteorites found in that area....dig everything!  Some very pretty irons have been found, most are small.

fred

Is it possible to have several types or classifications from a single meteorite fall? 

It would seem improbable to have several different types from different falls in the same area although it could certainly be possible.

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

Is it possible to have several types or classifications from a single meteorite fall? 

It would seem improbable to have several different types from different falls in the same area although it could certainly be possible.

In eastern New Mexico there are hundreds of individual falls in a relatively small area. It is not about one strewn field with different meteorites but rather very ancient ground that had remained the same for eons of time. This preserved stones from many falls over a long period.

Same with Antarctica for a slightly different reason. The slowly moving ice actually concentrates them. 

So there are many areas where different falls and finds are located in the same general area.

The entire earth is covered with meteorites. The average ground does not preserve them for a long time. But some spots stay more stable and every meteorite that has fallen for thousands of years is preserved at the surface.

Multiple different types in one area can be about hunter pressure too. If you get a large group of hunters hammering any favorable area it will eventually result in multiple finds. Franconia is a great example. Lea County and Antarctica are prime examples as well.

Different types of meteorites are found where the surface hasn't changed in millenia. Where the surface is concentrating. And where hordes of hunters look. This is the recipe for differing classifications in a certain location.

As far as different "classifications" from a single fall I am not sure. I think it is semantics. In my favorite area there are irons (siderites) and stony irons (pallasite) from a single fall. They come from the same fall and host body but are "classified" as two distinct types. So there is that. I guess it all depends on your individual definition of "classification".

At Canyon Diablo there are three distinct materials from a single fall.  I am certain they are "classified" as different stuff but are also "classified" as the same meteorite.

I remember we had a discussion on the term "bolide" one time... You interpreted that word as one thing and I interpreted it as another. This might be a similar discussion.

• Like 2

Thanks Bob

Morlock

the short answer is Yes. The Franconia area was renamed because of the different types....the information is here somewhere....you can find it if you want.

fred

Be careful there if you're alone, especially if you've never been before.  The terrain is unforgiving, and although the Mojave Greens should mostly be hibernating this time of year it's still dangerous snake country.

Edited by Mikestang

If you search for Buck Mountain Dense Collection Area there are several sites to read.  You may also search for Yucca DCA....

have fun

On 2/9/2020 at 9:01 AM, Bedrock Bob said:

In eastern New Mexico there are hundreds of individual falls in a relatively small area. It is not about one strewn field with different meteorites but rather very ancient ground that had remained the same for eons of time. This preserved stones from many falls over a long period.

The most prominent meteorite hunter in this area just has to be Skip Wilson. He's amassed a collection of hundreds of finds including  Portales Valley which almost hit his house. Talk about luck with that find. All he had to do was walk out the front door and pick them up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

The most prominent meteorite hunter in this area just has to be Skip Wilson. He's amassed a collection of hundreds of finds including  Portales Valley which almost hit his house. Talk about luck with that find. All he had to do was walk out the front door and pick them up.

I have met him. He started as an arrowhead hunter in the blowouts. 

Dean Miera and I had plans to hunt with him. We were setting the date when Dean died. I never made the trip.

One of these days im going to look him up again. 

...one of these days...

• Like 2