Nugget Shooter Forums
WillM

What could this weird rock be?

1 hour ago, d_day said:

How can the values be different? Specific gravity and density are the same thing.

He must be using the density of heavy water? ;)

6 hours ago, GotAU? said:

He must be using the density of a mixture of heavy water...  ;)

8 hours ago, d_day said:

How can the values be different? Specific gravity and density are the same thing.

The specific gravity is dimensionless, the amount of water moved by the square area of the object. My measuring cup is not exact so it will read a number slightly lower or higher than than its weight in water. I guess they should be the same as density because one gram equals 1 cubic centimeter of water lol

• Like 1

Quartz has a density of 2.65 and a specific gravity of 2.72 for example

2 hours ago, WillM said:

The specific gravity is dimensionless, the amount of water moved by the square area of the object. My measuring cup is not exact so it will read a number slightly lower or higher than than its weight in water. I guess they should be the same as density because one gram equals 1 cubic centimeter of water lol

Specific gravity is grams per cubic centimeter. Density is mass per unit of volume. Density and specific gravity will always be the same. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WillM said:

Ah, but heavy water is 1.11 g/cc.  :)

• Like 1

I just read all of this....and had such a great laugh. @WillM c'mon man..........there is no way you aren't trolling these fine men here. Cause of you think any of those are from space, you're way off dude. And it looks like the point is deliberately not be taken. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jcervay said:

I just read all of this....and had such a great laugh. @WillM c'mon man..........there is no way you aren't trolling these fine men here. Cause of you think any of those are from space, you're way off dude. And it looks like the point is deliberately not be taken.

I believe people on here or if it's a meteorite or not. The fact is we can argue for a very long time to the point we need machines. These are the people with a bias against me, they care more about it than I do somehow. Yet I haven't gotten one response even barely close to the detail I brought up.

I am more than perfectly happy with my life with or without meteorites. That needs to get in people's heads. Maybe it looks like I need a meteorite, but I don't. Maybe people think it looks more like a meteorite than I do? Enough to make them think that perhaps I am ignoring what people say?

As far as I know none of these are meteorites. If they were, they wouldn't show up on the map, so that is also an issue.

7 minutes ago, WillM said:

I believe people on here or if it's a meteorite or not. The fact is we can argue for a very long time to the point we need machines. These are the people with a bias against me, they care more about it than I do somehow. Yet I haven't gotten one response even barely close to the detail I brought up.

I am more than perfectly happy with my life with or without meteorites. That needs to get in people's heads. Maybe it looks like I need a meteorite, but I don't. Maybe people think it looks more like a meteorite than I do? Enough to make them think that perhaps I am ignoring what people say?

As far as I know none of these are meteorites. If they were, they wouldn't show up on the map, so that is also an issue.

I think it just proves how many people don't know anything about meteorites 🤷‍♀️

• well done 1

13 minutes ago, WillM said:

Then QUIT posting to prove you DON'T need meteorites.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jcervay said:

I think it just proves how many people don't know anything about meteorites 🤷‍♀️

I am going to have to learn the hard way with my test I can barely afford soon to see if I am crazy with one, if I am I will admit it on here I was delusional. I don't think these are meteorites, they are just shaped like them, I learned the hard way what chert is for sure. Meteorites changed my life to get into, it really is one of the more fascinating science subjects.

2 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Then QUIT posting to prove you DON'T need meteorites.

That's the plan, I was going to re-ignite the Venus thread if I get the isotope data soon, at most. And the worker said he was cleaning some parts of the machine and there were insidious mass spectrometer problems.

8 minutes ago, Relichunter2016 said:

:nutty:

Whatever you say buddy

2 hours ago, WillM said:

I am going to have to learn the hard way with my test I can barely afford soon to see if I am crazy with one, if I am I will admit it on here I was delusional. I don't think these are meteorites, they are just shaped like them, I learned the hard way what chert is for sure. Meteorites changed my life to get into, it really is one of the more fascinating science subjects.

If you learned basic mineral ID you would never need the tests to prove your finds are just common rocks.

Why don't you take the first steps toward learning the subject? It has been months and it appears you are still struggling with the basic concepts. 

The rocks you think look like meteorites simply don't look like meteorites. They have no meteoritic characteristics at all. Most are very easily identified common minerals that any beginner could identify.

Why not start with learning the basics? 

Every item you have posted is easily eliminated as a meteorite with a piece of sandpaper glued to a stick. This is grade school stuff. 

My suggestion is you glue a piece of sandpaper to a stick and use it until you learn what a meteorite really looks like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1