Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello all.  I am new to the forum.  I wanted say hello, and a request...

Having relocated from the Missouri Ozarks to Arizona a few years ago I have been wanting to try my hand at some nugget hunting.  I have been metal detecting since the early 70's - mainly a coinshooter & relic hunter.  I still have a Minelab XS and one of the original Teknetics T2. 

I have seen several references to Jim Straight’s 8th Edition “Follow the Drywashwer” Nuggetshooter’s Bible.  Everywhere I've checked seems to be out of stock.  I have since found out the book is out of print.  Would anyone have an extra copy they would part with?  Alternately, if anyone in the Phoenix NW Valley area would be so kind to let me borrow their copy for a short time I would be very grateful. 

I have read so many reports that the Nuggetshooters Bible is the one of the best references for nugget hunting with a metal detector that I am anxious to take a look at it.

Thanks everyone...

Mike

Welcome to the forum and nuggetshooting Mike!

Just an FYI the book you seek is hard to find these days and if and when you find a copy it will cost at least 3 to 5 times the original purchase price, you can sometimes find a copy on Ebay, but I just checked and there's no copy on there at this time but if I were you I would keep checking every few days and you may luck up and find a copy.

I also checked on Amazon and nothing there either.

I'm afraid you maybe hard pressed to find anyone willing to part with their copy and also even harder pressed to find someone to loan you their precious copy.....unless you met and get to know someone to the point they will trust you enough to let you borrow their's.

Keep looking you will find a copy at some point but it won't be cheap.

Much thanks for the reply!

Yes, I have seen some of those crazy prices on the Amazon used market.  I haven't checked eBay (thanks for checking, BTW), that's a good tip - I hadn't thought about that.

The more I've been searching the more obvious it is becoming that anyone probably would not want to sell a copy for a reasonable price.   And I completely understand about anyone lending a copy out to a stranger.  In making the request, I was hoping there might be someone close by, or actually in the neighborhood that had a copy and would be willing to meet up for coffee, talk a little nuggetshooting, possibly set up a time to get out and do a little swinging, and finally determine for themselves if I was some dastardly book thief, or not.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks again for the reply, and the eBay tip...

Mike

I found a copy at an online bookstore but it'll set you back $100.00 plus postage. I doubt it's worth that much. You'd do better to go out with someone experienced to get personal instruction. 

I don't think that they will think you might steal it but since it is a paperback it could easily get damaged if not handled carefully and it so hard to get it replaced and I know that many of us who own a copy wouldn't sell it no matter how much they could get for a copy unless they own more than one copy, also many copies are personally signed by Jim and that makes it more a treasure since he is no longer with us.

• Like 1

I had two copies but one was destroyed by a prospector friend I lent it to.

The copies I have owned are made of inexpensive paper bound with a plastic GBC type coil. They won't survive much handling. Once the bind fails the book pretty much becomes a stack of paper. Stacks of paper don't survive for long in the field.

I've seen a few copies over the years put out for sale by local libraries. I wish I had bought them but I can't read two at once and I was , for a long time, convinced that Jim was indestructible. He is missed by many. :cry2:

• Like 5

Once again, thanks to all who took the time to reply...very much appreciated!  

And, I completely understand about letting out of sight, something that holds special meaning.  If the tables were reversed, I'd probably feel the same.

Good point about the used book sales Clay.  I know Sun City West has a pretty big used book sale a couple times a year.  The Maricopa County Library system has book sales also.  I will definitely start keeping a close eye out for those also.

In keeping with another suggestion, if any of you wouldn't mind a novice tagging along on a short trip, please let me know.  I can drive, and do have a 4-wheel drive truck.

Mike

Mike not the same as Jim's famous book but a really good book for a new prospector is Chris Ralph's "Fist Full of Gold" book ... it is available on Amazon. Lots of very good information in that book. Chris is a Geologist and a very well known and accomplished prospector as well as a very experienced Metal detectorist.

• Like 4