Nugget Shooter Forums

Does a rock "controlling" a touch screen phone indicate anything?

Hello everybody, I just wanted to know if this was a quick test and it would fit on the forum. So do meteorites control phones while most terrestrial rocks do not? It seems that way, a quartz cannot control a phone etc.

I suppose it means the rock can carry charge. It makes sense because it is organic metal.

It is my understanding that a charge difference is made to make the phone register a tap. These are interpreted by a computer. I can get my rock to swipe and tap things on my Galaxy phone.

:fl:

I heard about it on Facebook. It makes sense to me. Let me know if these photos look like a meteorite. I found this under a tree.

It is squarish, with a brown unremovable crust and regmaglypt dimples. It looks aero dynamic and is magnetic enough to control a compass. I did not put any magnets to it to preserve the data. The second to last photo is a cut window I marked that shows shiny silver flecks.

My guess is that it is a silicated iron meteorite. 

Way different than anything I have posted here.

20200202_113408.jpg

20200202_113352.jpg

20200202_113448.jpg

20200202_113432.jpg

20200202_113545.jpg

20200202_113529.jpg

20200202_114022.jpg

20200202_114353.jpg

20200202_115126.jpg

Edited by WillM
Question mark quotes

It is different then what you have posted here before but still not a meteorite. Looks like an old rusted piece of metal. You can use a magnet on it.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Morlock said:

It is different then what you have posted here before but still not a meteorite. Looks like an old rusted piece of metal. You can use a magnet on it.

Morlock, now that we are on the subject, does the rock smelling like fireworks mean anything? Meteorites burn up in the sky like fireworks so it just follows that atleast fresh meteorites will smell like fireworks and gunpowder.

Edited by WillM

The main reason fireworks and gunpowder smell (in some cases.. stink) is because of sulphur.

While meteorites contain sulphur, they are mostly in chondrites and not irons.

That is the most meteoritic looking specimen you have found to date!

Cut a deeper window in it. I bet it is iron. And I bet it streaks metallic too. You need to get below the shale "crust" and get a better look at the inside.

I think you have found your first meteor wrong Will!

I can't guarantee that it is not a meteorite. I would bet a hundred bucks it isn't but I couldn't prove it wasnt.

That is the problem with artifacts. They usually contain nickel just like a meteorite. And they are often in shapes that really look meteoritic. And they turn to shale just like an old hunk of meteoritic iron. So absolute identification is often difficult or impossible for the layman.

Congrats Will! You have taken a quantum leap in your learning curve with this one. It is a lot closer to a suspect meteorite than anything else I have seen you post!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

That is the most meteoritic looking specimen you have found to date!

Cut a deeper window in it. I bet it is iron. And I bet it streaks metallic too. You need to get below the shale "crust" and get a better look at the inside.

I think you have found your first meteor wrong Will!

I can't guarantee that it is not a meteorite. I would bet a hundred bucks it isn't but I couldn't prove it wasnt.

That is the problem with artifacts. They usually contain nickel just like a meteorite. And they are often in shapes that really look meteoritic. And they turn to shale just like an old hunk of meteoritic iron. So absolute identification is often difficult or impossible for the layman.

Congrats Will! You have taken a quantum leap in your learning curve with this one. It is a lot closer to a suspect meteorite than anything else I have seen you post!

This meteorwrong has the least vesicles lol. Vesicles are supposed to rule it out.

I attatched another rock that, incidentally has a quartz-like back and a blackened crusted front with, get this, rusted iron flecks visible. I even attached a magnet quite easily to it. (I wasn't scared to, this could be diamond). Why do I think it is diamond? It lets my diamond detector shows as diamond. It has a specific gravity of 2.6, that is either the rock that has diamond in it or a burnt quartz with a piece of metal in it.

Wild that it attracts a magnet! What case is there of quartz ever being magnetic? 🤔🤔 if it is a quartz meteorite... is that possible?

I even took a picture with the hanging magnet. Weird. It couldn't be lol let me kniw what you think it is.

20200202_144038.jpg

20200202_143949.jpg

20200202_143935.jpg

20200202_144157.jpg

20200202_144122.jpg

20200202_144107.jpg

20200202_144054.jpg

20200202_144222.jpg

Edited by WillM
Typo
2 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Throw your diamond detector away. They are worthless.

Yeah, it just shows it might be quartz because a rock I found registered as quartz but it made the diamond detector go off. That being said it is 99% certainly a quartz meteorite to me, what else could it be?

Edited by WillM

Meteorites don't contain quartz. It's just a piece of  quartz or calcite.

To check for calcite, put a few drops of warm vinegar on it. If it fizzes, it's calcite. If not.... quartz.

6 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Meteorites don't contain quartz. It's just a piece of  quartz or calcite.

To check for calcite, put a few drops of warm vinegar on it. If it fizzes, it's calcite. If not.... quartz.

I will check for calcite soon.

I took some more pictures to show the orange rusted part that attracts a magnet strongly. What could that be? Native iron only occurs in meteorites.so it looks like someone put metal in this quartz on purpose.

I read somewhere that quartz is rare in meteorites.

20200202_154553.jpg

20200202_154519.jpg

20200202_154436.jpg

Edited by WillM
4 got

I cut a window in the black face. I showed how the transitioin in from black to white on the side. It could be magnetite but that doesn't shine silver. The edges are rounded and there is a pit on the front. 

If it was a mineral that rusts and is magnetic it would have to be magnetite, and quartz is found with magnetite. So it would make sense if it was.

The pictures should show what I mean, I circled the cit I made. If I shine a light through it, it shows that the dark part is very thin. It could very well be a quartz from an iron impact that held together.

What a weird little object!

20200202_203506.jpg

20200202_203439.jpg

20200202_203716.jpg

20200202_203928.jpg