Nugget Shooter Forums

Physics of giant bubble bursts secret of fluid mechanics (article)

https://phys.org/news/2020-01-physics-giant-secret-fluid-mechanics.html

In the article they go over how the diversity of chemical polymers adds to the elasticity.

"The physicists also found that varying the molecular sizes of the polymers helps strengthen soap film. That discovery happened by accident."

it follows then, if slag is does not have polymer-like connected chemicals. (It literally comes from a seperating process). That "stretch" features would only be found in meteorites. (Except dripping slag).

More specifically the "fusion" crust should stretch as well making it more resilient to flow because "fusion" and "polymer" might have similarities.

This makes me think these stretches are analogous to the bubble burst. Does the molecular size vary more in meteorites than slag/terrestrial rocks? I am looking into it. That would explain some pulled out features on some of my rocks.

*Pic for example (not saying it's a meteorite, it's  definitely stretched like a bubble though)

Any ideas? Could "stretch features" be the key to visual I. d.? Even regmaglypts stretch in.

20200201_080730.jpg

Edited by WillM
Missed info

It appears that slag is not a polymer and therefore stretch features would be impossible at bigger sizes especially. 

I’m not sure if your still looking for a meteorite or your just fascinated with slag. I think you are way over complicating things if your end goal is to find a meteorite. You are not going to think and theorize and hypothesize a meteorite into existence. None of these searches into fluid mechanics are going to lead you to a new type of knowledge or science that suddenly makes the non meteorites you’ve posted into meteorites. I am not sure if this hobby is for you. The thing that attracts me to prospecting (gold not meteorites) is the simplicity of it. There are some real basic things you do to put yourself in the path of gold. 

-Go to a known gold area

-start digging! 

Thats all it takes, for the most part without over complicating things too much, if you do those two things it is certain you will get gold eventually. For meteorites you should,

1. Got to a known meteorite area 

2. Start swinging! (Magnet on a stick) 

If you do those two things you might be months or even years from finding your first meteorite. But you’ll atleast be stumbling in the right direction. At this point you are moving further and further from finding a real one with all of this assumed science , you are jumping to wild conclusions to prove your theories and ideas. Watching and reading your posts knowing they are coming from a guy who wants to find a meteorite is frustrating. Think of it this way so you can see it from my perspective. It would be like you reading about a guy on here who really wanted to find his first gold nugget. But instead of doing some very brief research and finding a known gold producing area near him, the guy is determined to find it his own way , right in his own backyard. So he goes around and collects small rocks that resemble pieces of gold. Then the guy starts throwing out some far fetched assumptions and conclusions because he has gold on the brain. The color is all wrong, but the shape is there! The texture is similar to a gold nugget! These heavier pebbles weigh more than the others so there might be gold inside! His ideas just lead him further down the rabbit hole and further away from any chance of finding gold. That’s what your doing Will, getting further and further from an actual meteorite the more you learn about fluid mechanics. Get a magnet on a stick and walk around and hunt that way. Please don’t post any more pics of rocks unless you found them in this fashion. That is the least you can do. I know it’s hard to do but try to turn your brain off sometimes and stop the whirlwind of thoughts once in a while. Getting out and hunting a meteorite the correct way would probably be really therapeutic for you. 

• Like 2
  • well done 2
11 minutes ago, Caliche Chris said:

I’m not sure if your still looking for a meteorite or your just fascinated with slag. I think you are way over complicating things if your end goal is to find a meteorite. You are not going to think and theorize and hypothesize a meteorite into existence. None of these searches into fluid mechanics are going to lead you to a new type of knowledge or science that suddenly makes the non meteorites you’ve posted into meteorites. I am not sure if this hobby is for you. The thing that attracts me to prospecting (gold not meteorites) is the simplicity of it. There are some real basic things you do to put yourself in the path of gold. 

-Go to a known gold area

-start digging! 

Thats all it takes, for the most part without over complicating things too much, if you do those two things it is certain you will get gold eventually. For meteorites you should,

1. Got to a known meteorite area 

2. Start swinging! (Magnet on a stick) 

If you do those two things you might be months or even years from finding your first meteorite. But you’ll atleast be stumbling in the right direction. At this point you are moving further and further from finding a real one with all of this assumed science , you are jumping to wild conclusions to prove your theories and ideas. Watching and reading your posts knowing they are coming from a guy who wants to find a meteorite is frustrating. Think of it this way so you can see it from my perspective. It would be like you reading about a guy on here who really wanted to find his first gold nugget. But instead of doing some very brief research and finding a known gold producing area near him, the guy is determined to find it his own way , right in his own backyard. So he goes around and collects small rocks that resemble pieces of gold. Then the guy starts throwing out some far fetched assumptions and conclusions because he has gold on the brain. The color is all wrong, but the shape is there! The texture is similar to a gold nugget! These heavier pebbles weigh more than the others so there might be gold inside! His ideas just lead him further down the rabbit hole and further away from any chance of finding gold. That’s what your doing Will, getting further and further from an actual meteorite the more you learn about fluid mechanics. Get a magnet on a stick and walk around and hunt that way. Please don’t post any more pics of rocks unless you found them in this fashion. That is the least you can do. I know it’s hard to do but try to turn your brain off sometimes and stop the whirlwind of thoughts once in a while. Getting out and hunting a meteorite the correct way would probably be really therapeutic for you. 

I love going for walks and luckily I checks sometimes and the rocks that look like unkown meteorite types are there. These are the types that cannot be found with a magnet on a stick. (I am looking into getting one). I found some rusty iron that looked like a meteorite but that was stolen. I check in places that prove it could not have been put there by man recently. I have enough data from my rocks to start a new branch of meteorite classification. I am talking about Pluto meteorites, Jupiter moon meteorites, and Venusian proto-moon meteorites etc. Unheard of stuff but it excites me to hunt. Thanks for taking the time to write the post. I am looking for a spot to hunt gold. It's always good to get out and do something. From now on I will only post it if it looks like a known specimen.

Edited by WillM
Forgot something