Nugget Shooter Forums

12 minutes ago, Chillytay said:

I agree it’s low end, it’s my starter metal detector, I was just asking a question 

You are much better off with a magnet on a stick unless you are in a known strewn field where iron meteorites have been found.

Imagine how much junk you will dig with a detector searching for a meteorite. It just slows you down and makes a nearly impossible task truly impossible.

You are much better off learning the difference between mineral iron and metallic iron and searching by eye. Use a magnet and a piece of sandpaper on a stick. Reject every rock that does not have free metallic iron or chondrules. 

Use the detector if you find a meteorite that will make a sound. Otherwise you are really narrowing your horizons by searching with a detector to make a cold find. 

I use both my eye and the detector. But until you get your eyes trained to recognize a meteorite you are juggling more balls than you can handle.

First things first. Learn the different forms of iron and reject oxides. There is no oxygen in space and meteorites do not contain oxides of iron. Then learn to recognize chondrules. Without this you don't have a meteorite. This can be learned in a day and is the basis for testing every suspect rock you pick up.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You are much better off with a magnet on a stick unless you are in a known strewn field where iron meteorites have been found.

Imagine how much junk you will dig with a detector searching for a meteorite. It just slows you down and makes a nearly impossible task truly impossible.

You are much better off learning the difference between mineral iron and metallic iron and searching by eye. Use a magnet and a piece of sandpaper on a stick. Reject every rock that does not have free metallic iron or chondrules. 

Use the detector if you find a meteorite that will make a sound. Otherwise you are really narrowing your horizons by searching with a detector to make a cold find. 

I use both my eye and the detector. But until you get your eyes trained to recognize a meteorite you are juggling more balls than you can handle.

First things first. Learn the different forms of iron and reject oxides. There is no oxygen in space and meteorites do not contain oxides of iron. Then learn to recognize chondrules. Without this you don't have a meteorite. This can be learned in a day and is the basis for testing every suspect rock you pick up.

Thanks bedrockbob for your help do you possibly have any links to sites that you feel are good resources for someone learning. 

9 hours ago, WillM said:

They will get better with time though.

Yes you will. But you will get better faster if you listen to experience and knowledge.

You are a good guy Will. You are just a pain in the patoot. Learn how to be a student of this discipline rather than pretending to be a master. 

It is not what you don't know that is your big problem. It is what you think you know that just ain't so.

:)

• Like 4