Nugget Shooter Forums

3 hours ago, Chillytay said:

8CD51617-A001-4041-AB39-385367EF525F.png

From the pictures, you can see that the vesicles have rims, there are no regmaglypt like structures. There appears to be material buildup where there should be none. It appears to have been affected by gravity. It doesn't appear brecciated. It is equally pourous throughout seemingly. It's suposed to be stoney,  but there it looks clumped together like metal. These are each good reasons to think it is slag. I would say slag, although I have never found one that looks like that.

Edited by WillM
44 minutes ago, WillM said:

From the picture, you can see that the vesicles have rims, there are no regmaglypt like structures. There appears to be material buildup where there should be none. It appears to have been affected by gravity. It doesn't appear brecciated. It is equally pourous throughout seemingly. It's suposed to be stoney,  but there it looks clumped together like metal. These are each good reasons to think it is slag. I would say slag, although I have never found one that looks like that.

Thanks willM my understanding of porous is space or holes throughout. I don’t see any holes that go beyond what looks to be shell or crust. That’s with my untrained eye maybe I’m wrong 

image.jpg

image.jpg

18 hours ago, WillM said:

From the pictures, you can see that the vesicles have rims, there are no regmaglypt like structures. There appears to be material buildup where there should be none. It appears to have been affected by gravity. It doesn't appear brecciated. It is equally pourous throughout seemingly. It's suposed to be stoney,  but there it looks clumped together like metal. These are each good reasons to think it is slag. I would say slag, although I have never found one that looks like that.

It’s obviously a piece of slag once I got looking at some pics good call although I do see a lot of similarities between the two I think probably seeing one in real time would help me be able to tell difference.

let me ask you

I have Garett 250 metal detector would a meteorite show on it as a hit?

7 minutes ago, Chillytay said:

It’s obviously a piece of slag once I got looking at some pics good call although I do see a lot of similarities between the two I think probably seeing one in real time would help me be able to tell difference.

let me ask you

I have Garett 250 metal detector would a meteorite show on it as a hit?

I am sure any metal detector would work toward meteorites. I personally use my phone metal detector app and my compass app to check the magnetism. It depends on what type of meteorite you are hunting, the settings will need to be more sensitive for stony meteorites etc.

I am not familiar with the 250 type of detector, but it seems more advanced than the phone so I would say it will help more. 

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Chillytay said:

Thanks willM my understanding of porous is space or holes throughout. I don’t see any holes that go beyond what looks to be shell or crust. That’s with my untrained eye maybe I’m wrong 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I can't tell if it looks pourous or just too rough.

45 minutes ago, WillM said:

I am sure any metal detector would work toward meteorites. I personally use my phone metal detector app and my compass app to check the magnetism. It depends on what type of meteorite you are hunting, the settings will need to be more sensitive for stony meteorites etc.

I am not familiar with the 250 type of detector, but it seems more advanced than the phone so I would say it will help more. 

It really doesn’t seem to be at all identical in regards to porous but Some characteristic similar to slag I did used file and sand paper and I can’t even scratch it I was trying to file some and I seeing shards from file and it’s damaging the file and just did test with metal detector and no reaction even slag should make the metal detector buzz low frequency for iron because that is common in all slag right? 

1 hour ago, WillM said:

I am sure any metal detector would work toward meteorites. I personally use my phone metal detector app and my compass app to check the magnetism. It depends on what type of meteorite you are hunting.

I guess I can use a metal detector phone app to search for meteorites now and my compass app to check them... I just saved a lot of money.🙄🙄

The Garrett Ace 250 is a low end budget detector. It'll work on high iron meteorites but will probably lack depth. 

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I guess I can use a metal detector phone app to search for meteorites now and my compass app to check them... I just saved a lot of money.🙄🙄

The Garrett Ace 250 is a low end budget detector. It'll work on high iron meteorites but will probably lack depth. 

You have to find the sensor on the phone for the compass. It all works best with iron.

2 hours ago, Chillytay said:

It really doesn’t seem to be at all identical in regards to porous but Some characteristic similar to slag I did used file and sand paper and I can’t even scratch it I was trying to file some and I seeing shards from file and it’s damaging the file and just did test with metal detector and no reaction even slag should make the metal detector buzz low frequency for iron because that is common in all slag right? 

It is slag. 

Slag can contain metallic iron but mostly iron oxide. Iron oxide does not sound off a detector. 

Your specimen is oxides of silicon and iron. An terrestrial artifact. Not a mineral. Not a meteorite. It is a by product of an industrial process. Most likely a non ferrous metal smelting operation. 

Only iron and H chontrite meteorites will make a detector react. Terrestrial iron will rarely make a detector sing. So a detector is worthless for identification purposes. So is a compass. A detector is only used to locate a metallic object. Your object is not metallic. It is oxide.

Your specimen has no meteoritic characteristics and streaks brown. It is oxidized iron. Not free metallic iron like is found in a meteorite.

Your specimen has gas bubbles. It was molten in an oxygen rich environment. Meteorites are formed in a vacuum and were never molten or exposed to gas. They do not have any features that resemble bubbles or where gasses escaped from molten material. They are polished smooth from the friction of the air.

Be very careful of the advice you are getting on this forum. Some commenters here have no experience and are presenting nonsense disguised as knowledge. I will leave it up to you to decide who is pretending and who has something to offer.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Nugget Shooter forums. A magical place where fairy tales can become reality.
12 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is slag. 

Slag can contain metallic iron but mostly iron oxide. Iron oxide does not sound off a detector. 

Your specimen is oxides of silicon and iron. An terrestrial artifact. Not a mineral. Not a meteorite. It is a by product of an industrial process. Most likely a non ferrous metal smelting operation. 

Only iron and H chontrite meteorites will make a detector react. Terrestrial iron will rarely make a detector sing. So a detector is worthless for identification purposes. So is a compass. A detector is only used to locate a metallic object. 

Your specimen has no meteoritic characteristics and streaks brown. It is oxidized iron. Not free metallic iron like is found in a meteorite.

Your specimen has gas bubbles. It was molten in an oxygen rich environment. Meteorites are formed in a vacuum and were never molten or exposed to gas. They do not have any features that resemble bubbles or where gasses escaped from molten material. They are polished smooth from the friction of the air.

Be very careful of the advice you are getting on this forum. Some commenters here have no experience and are presenting nonsense disguised as knowledge. I will leave it up to you to decide who is pretending and who has something to offer.

Wow, there is a point that Richard Feynman makes that if you can't put it in lay terms you have identified psuedo science.

All I am doing is bringing together bits of knowledge from many, many websites and academic research papers. There is something unique on every webpage in regards to meteorites, none of them are completely comprehensive.

Slag is purified for it's iron so it will always have iron in it. I just explained why it is slag in lay terms and how I would not pick it up. What more could you ask for?

Saying meteorites don't have bubbles when there are multiple websites that say they do, specifically a regolith breccia. Also on the back side.

This is just stuff I am repeating from memory. I am so confident because even facts I forget are true the whole time. Like shock features or squarishness.

We all agree so I don't see the problem.

Edited by WillM
Typo

Even facts I forget are true the whole time too WillM.

Please stop ruining this forum. Your comments here do not come from a perspective of knowledge or experience and are often completely wrong.

You are pretending. That is just fine for some people but it is an insult to those who have spent decades actually learning their stuff.

It is also unfair to those that come here looking for knowledge. What you offer is the antithesis of that.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Please stop ruining this forum. Your comments here do not come from a perspective of knowledge or experience and are often completely wrong.

You are pretending. That is just fine for some people but it is an insult to those who have spent decades actually learning their stuff.

I guess you feel insulted because I gave my opinion on a forum. Not one guy here has told me to get a mineral test to be sure this whole time. A mineral test would rule out slag because it is only certain minerals. We could have had that on the Venus meteorite, but now that is stolen. I go up against so much opposition for being a general education major. (It literally means I know everything!).

A little knowledge never hurt anybody, it all leads to the mineral test, an intermediate between the shape and elemental composition. 

I cite my sources and still my opinion is crapped on. I am not pretending 

Edited by WillM
Typo
3 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Your opinions are crapped on because your opinions are crap. 

Do you see a pattern developing here?

They will get better with time though.

• well done 1
2 hours ago, Morlock said:

28 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is also unfair to those that come here looking for knowledge. What you offer is the antithesis of that.

I was being sarcastic.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Morlock said:

I agree it’s low end, it’s my starter metal detector, I was just asking a question 

Thanks everyone for your help  I am learning it helps me a lot to be able to have Stone in my hand when it’s explained what helps identify that it’s not meteorite I have done a little research on meteorites but I’m far from even novice amount of knowledge. I always say no matter what I’m learning or discussing that I may have some knowledge but I am far from a master at anything. I  look at as  Im always trying to learn something new 

“The more you know the less you don’t know”   
                     -Howie Mandal-

• Like 2