Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi

This one had some interesting characteristics I thought to share in  hopes of identifying. 

Don't be shy tell me to throw it in the rock garden.

I appreciate you  taking the time to observe the photos look at details and feed back.  

I scrubbed it with a wire brush about 6 months ago thinking that it was a piece of slag.

Attracts cheep Magnet

Rest of info in pic20200126_191154.jpg

Cheers.

20200126_182651.jpg

20200126_185306.jpg

20200126_181653.jpg

20200126_181956.jpg

15 hours ago, Wahib said:

Hi

This one had some interesting characteristics I thought to share in  hopes of identifying. 

Don't be shy tell me to throw it in the rock garden.

I appreciate you  taking the time to observe the photos look at details and feed back.  

I scrubbed it with a wire brush about 6 months ago thinking that it was a piece of slag.

Attracts cheep Magnet

Rest of info in pic20200126_191154.jpg

Cheers.

20200126_182651.jpg

20200126_185306.jpg

20200126_181653.jpg

20200126_181956.jpg

The chances are low but they are there. The edges are not sharp. Is it cracked? Nickel test would help. Could be a stony. It appears to have glypts but are they just on one side?

Hi

Yes

You mean one in a million chance I'll take it.

Cracked a little bit were the 2 big rocks are fused to it

I have to admit I googled the word glypts 

Yes I agree it definitely looks heavy winded on one side.

After looking at it a little bit more it does have expansion and contraction marks .

It definitely is not cracked and it looks like That it has a few damages some might be older than the other.

But here is my favorite it looks like that it was shot with 2   1"by 1.5 "  egg shaped rocks they are a different color then the main body the 1st one turn into a rectangle after the 2nd  rock hit. it flew for a little bit as it covered 5% of the new rocks with its stealthy look before it got hit again  As it looks like the deferent rocks covering  , I think  A lot of this rock is made  of these 1"rocks  just these 2 are the freshest and haven't had the time to get covered like the rest of it with a stealthy  layer. beautiful scenery even if its terrestrial 

You probably think I'm crazy 

Well you're probably right and it's amazing what your mind can make you think sometimes and believe after observing something for so long

Lol

Here are a few more pics

Thank you for taking the time to observe my post

20200127_201741.jpg

20200127_201837.jpg

20200127_202557.jpg

The flat side suggests it broke up in the atmosphere and the edges rounded off. This is a good specimen to send for further science, the most meteorite like rock you have posted. It looks pitted but the only way to know for sure is more testing. You might have an expert say it isn't one but always get a second opinion. With chemical data you can rule it out for sure.

What is the density? It looks dense.

• Thanks 1

Hi

It's  3.1 density 

I'll keep this one out of the rock garden and put it aside for further testing in the future.

It's a 150 to $275 to get the rocks tested and it's good to know  Before we go and test stuff because it could get expensive.

I know that I am very uneducated when it comes to meteorite ,  I'm sure if I knew how to give you guys the proper information you guys would be able to give me the proper answer, 

Thank you so much

Sorry..... neither are meteorites. 

A famous meteorite hunter and dealer once stated there's an average of 7 to 10 meteorites per SQUARE MILE with most the size of a pea. The chances of finding one on your property is almost nil. 

If you're really serious about finding a meteorite, go visit a meteorite strewn field like Gold Basin or Franconia and bring a metal detector with you. The odds are much better.

Or depending on where you live, take long hikes to look for unusual rocks that don't seem to belong and have meteorite characteristics. Again....the chances are slim but you never know.

There's a member of this forum who became interested in meteorites and was successful.in finding one. Originally he wanted to travel out to Arizona to look for one but instead found one while taking a hike with his wife not far from his house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No free metal. No chondrules. No fusion crust. No meteorite.

You don't need "testing". It is obviously terrestrial mineral iron.

Sometimes it is easier to identify meteorites than it is guys who pretend to know about them. Be very careful of the information you get on this forum because much of it is complete nonsense. 

• Like 3

I'll get rid of what I have and start hunting fresh.

It would be awesome  to travel on day and tag along with people who have experience in what to hunt for.

I have access to small beaches that people dont have access to lots of forests ,slopes and creeks in the same area.

BC gold hunters are getting lucky now days, I think I'm in the wrong hobby for this area. :)

thank you all so much for your patiencpatience and I'll do alot more research. 

none of my rocks have the definition or the texture like the one in your pictures, its beautiful. 

cheers

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Wahib said:

I'll get rid of what I have and start hunting fresh.

It would be awesome  to travel on day and tag along with people who have experience in what to hunt for.

I have access to small beaches that people dont have access to lots of forests ,slopes and creeks in the same area.

BC gold hunters are getting lucky now days, I think I'm in the wrong hobby for this area. :)

thank you all so much for your patiencpatience and I'll do alot more research. 

none of my rocks have the definition or the texture like the one in your pictures, its beautiful. 

cheers

My advice to you would be a get yourself a gold detector and start looking for the yellow stuff. Then in the process of doing that, you  might find a meteorite. You're just not going to find one going through your rock piles.

And don't start sending money for testing until you're reasonably sure you have one. Post photos here first.

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 3
  • well done 1

Hi

Thank you, I left the pile alone and took the same trail to the beach as I do every time,

On the way back yesterday I spotted a 5" black rock

I tried to dig it out buy cleaning around it and noticed that it was really heavy for its size and had tetras like blocks,took my file and there was a metal like shine,it was 95%  buried in the ground.

2.91 density give or take 

Beige in colore when dry and light rusty brown when wet.

17000 grams

It's tiger stripes on the sides and flat bottom 

Nickel test was negative 

2 or 3  Very small  Pieces of metal that give a different shine and they are as big as a needle tip

Here are a few pics 

This one will get the name tiger torch because its striped like a tiger and has things that look like flames.lol 

not sure how to explain this but it looks like it has a bunch of tattoos that look like flames. and things like a shape of a leaf maybe its fossil 

It looks like nothing that I have Most of the Hill is dirt and not rocks and it was different than anything I was around it.

I am really excited to one day have my 1st space nuggets so please tell me if I am over posting pics and I will slow down.

Cheers.20200128_152420.jpg

20200129_105222.jpg

20200128_153057.jpg

20200128_152520.jpg

20200129_112426.jpg

20200129_111247.jpg

Sorry I meant to share this pic to

It was the side that was exposed to the surface though it had a very clean Spot that was different than everything else on it

Thank you

20200129_111443.jpg

Wahib,

Your last rock is sedimentary,

Take a look at your rock(s). If it glistens like a crystal structure (ie: quartz) at any point in the rock, it can’t be a meteorite. If it has layers, it can’t be a meteorite. It’s sedimentary. If it has small gas bubbles (vesticles) in it. It is not a meteorite, but basaltic or sedimentary. If it is moderately magnetic it is NOT a meteorite. If there is a thick crust on it, it can’t be a meteorite. If it has very rough surfaces or is angular, except for breakage, it is not a meteorite. If it is heavy, but not much heavier than other similar sized rocks, it can't a meteorite. File off a corner or cut it. It won’t diminish its value. If there is all bright silvery metal it isn't a meteorite. If it is all grey metal it can’t be a meteorite. If there is black crust as thin as a fingernail, and crazing on the outside of the rock, it might be a meteorite. If there are small silver specks visible in the filed off section, it might be a meteorite.

A simple test for your rock is to take the top off a toilet tank and make a hard streak with it on the unpolished porcelain underside.  If the streak is dark red or gray it is oxidized magnetite or hematite and is not a meteorite.

There are billions of magnetic rocks in the US, none of which are meteorites. Anyone can find magnetic earth stones nearly everywhere. Approximately 4% of all terrestrial rocks found in all of the 50 states are moderately magnetic. Just take a strong magnet and drop into sand and you will see what I mean. Check our O Richard Norton’s, “Rocks from Space” or visit the Arizona State University Meteorite Center or similar collection.

Keep looking down. They're out there,

billpeters

Edited by billpeters
  • Thanks 1

I got some inspections to do,I'll go through the list of what I can test myself.

Thank you

Hi

pass on a lot

though I took some negative pictures To help see a little more in flow direction I think 

The square looking side is the stamp

Negative Image_84ceec7c-b705-4e38-bc43-c6a23461b7e1.jpg

and i have never seen a propeller shaped stamp on a rock that was a meteorite. 

20200129_193812.jpg

All beige with rusted like black spots

20200129_182805.jpg

When  watered looks like a rusted rock

I made a better window but still all metal like look with triangle tips, yet square if looking the other way ,looks like there is rocks inside it

Negative Image_3374691d-f413-4be3-9d09-4e258dedb58e.jpg

Especially under the thin layer that's on it

Streak very light brown not much of it.

It has arrows 

20200129_194302.jpg

Cheers

• Hmmmmmm 1

Look bro, you have to walk before you can run. You will have better results if you study geology okay the study of rocks because meteorites are mostly rocks. Also why not learn what not to look for ? you could save yourself and us some time. Get a good grip on what earth rocks are made of and how they form, and study minerals that rocks are made of. This is the path if you are serious about finding a meteorite. I wish you the best with finding one because it does feel pretty amazing when you do pick up your first. Good luck with your path.

ht 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the info I did some research I'm sure I'm not providing you guys with the proper information to help make a better judgment 

This is very unique and has features that I would love some help identifying please

Yes it looks broken up but looking at it from the right veiw it shows signs of space nugget. 

The pic on the wood floor is the true dry color of it. Huge thumbprints and flow lines is it possible to be certain type of meteorite. 20200206_190411.jpg

Flow lines rest of pisa are edited to help better see20200206_220525.png20200206_214123.png

It looks like a very bright it's harder to get the proper angle to observe for a rookie like me

Huge circular stamp or thumbprint 

20200206_211501.jpg20200206_214654.jpg

it has rusted spots that have that shine at an angle 20200206_210508.jpg hoping its chondrules 

20200206_190540.jpg20200206_210701.jpg

Hope pics are better, 

Thank you

20200206_210921.jpg

4 hours ago, Wahib said:

Thank you for the info I did some research I'm sure I'm not providing you guys with the proper information to help make a better judgment 

This is very unique and has features that I would love some help identifying please

Yes it looks broken up but looking at it from the right veiw it shows signs of space nugget. 

The pic on the wood floor is the true dry color of it. Huge thumbprints and flow lines is it possible to be certain type of meteorite. 20200206_190411.jpg

Flow lines rest of pisa are edited to help better see20200206_220525.png20200206_214123.png

It looks like a very bright it's harder to get the proper angle to observe for a rookie like me

Huge circular stamp or thumbprint 

20200206_211501.jpg20200206_214654.jpg

it has rusted spots that have that shine at an angle 20200206_210508.jpg hoping its chondrules 

20200206_190540.jpg20200206_210701.jpg

Hope pics are better, 

Thank you

20200206_210921.jpg

It looks like a terrestrial rock but that could be just from the photos. Is the dark spot a grinded window? If it is metallic inside it might be a meteorite. The flowlines and glypts are  hard to show on camera if the meteorite is not perfect. 

Sorry people make identifying a rock with a website as a pain, it gives us something to do, and not everyone knows everything. I even have been told to take geology classes.

I think having the more rocks on here the better, so we can distinguish from gold and meteorites better. People really are so lazy telling you why it's not a meteorite is too much for them it seems. I don't like the negative attitude people have had on here recently. 

It kind of looks like a sedimentary rock with the parallel lines.

They better not flip the script when I start getting into gold hunting.

Edited by WillM
Typo
  • Like 1

Thank you 

I'm taking advantage of on of your quotes regarding local university mineral tastings.

I really appreciate the leads that I get from you guys.

University of Victoria has a astrophysical department. Waiting on them to direct me to the right department to approach. 

I would like to know if any one is aware of how big of a sample are hunters sending for testing as well as if I would send a find for classification do I have to send the whole rock or a specific weight amount. 

1 hour ago, Wahib said:

Thank you 

I'm taking advantage of on of your quotes regarding local university mineral tastings.

I really appreciate the leads that I get from you guys.

University of Victoria has a astrophysical department. Waiting on them to direct me to the right department to approach. 

I would like to know if any one is aware of how big of a sample are hunters sending for testing as well as if I would send a find for classification do I have to send the whole rock or a specific weight amount. 

Most places need a finely ground sample, it depends.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...