Nugget Shooter Forums

I think most of these are agates but the one on the left in the middle I am not sure what it is. It kind of looks like a flower. When I was out detecting I ran into these rocks. They seem different then most I see. Anybody know what the one on the left in the middle is? It's kind of white. And what are the rest?

9D32E0C6-199A-4137-9882-43041639F8BC.jpeg

3DF59882-363A-4ACE-A594-0A971A1EDFA7.jpeg

Edited by billdean
forgot pics

I hope you marked the spot in your memory bank.  Got some goodies there...some fire agate.

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli
  • Like 1

These are all bits of chalcedony, often called chalcedony roses due to their resemblance to flowers. They may contain fire, as stated above but I don’t see any. 

I see botryoidal chalcedony with a couple having a potential for fire agates. Nice finds.

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

I see botryoidal chalcedony with a couple having a potential for fire agates. Nice finds.

I guess I never look at that one that way. It does make sense and does resemble a cluster of grapes too. I wonder if I was to tumble it,  would it retain its shape? Of course, I would have to buy a tumbler.

1 hour ago, billdean said:

I guess I never look at that one that way. It does make sense and does resemble a cluster of grapes too. I wonder if I was to tumble it,  would it retain its shape? Of course, I would have to buy a tumbler.

It might retain some of its shape, but would be mostly smoothed out.

The one at 10'oclock has some good bands. It has potential to be a fire agate.

I call this chalcedony. I found outside an abandoned mine and and soaked it in in CLR for a year.  Did not come out white, but it is not as brown as it used to be. Was hoping it would come out white and I’d shape it with a Dremel into something.  Before I soaked it, I did not realize the natural color was the brownie red.  Probably pretty close to your color.

E9DDFA4B-1768-45DC-971B-CF4CE07CF52F.jpeg

Edited by chrisski

This is all very interesting to me. I have always detected for gold but never really paid much attention to the rocks. I am not sure what I will do with them. Really don't know how or what to do with them. Now these rocks I understand a little bit.

84530857-00E5-492E-BEF8-AE623A3A8B5B_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 6:17 PM, billdean said:

This is all very interesting to me. I have always detected for gold but never really paid much attention to the rocks. I am not sure what I will do with them. Really don't know how or what to do with them. Now these rocks I understand a little bit.

84530857-00E5-492E-BEF8-AE623A3A8B5B_1_201_a.jpeg

Thats impressive.  May i ask what detector you used to find these..

Glad to see you take an interest in other things like agates. A lot of people just walk over potentially valuable finds. 

I used the Monster 1000. Agates are very interesting to me. I will be keeping my eyes out more for other potential gems!