To the rock garden. 

Magnetic 

What might look like fusion crust, beige in color though 

It has rusted pits. 

Window  was cut through on of the 1 cm pits

Dinsty 4.1

M400 grams,v96ml or close to 

Any help would be great

Thank you for taking the time to review my post. 

Picture, 2 some still moist 

Picture 4 has water on it

20200123_170431.jpg

20200123_174407.jpg

20200123_165128.jpg

20200123_162946.jpg

20200123_165421.jpg

It is an iron rich volcanic basalt. 

Check out the color change at the edges of the window. This is from thermal and chemical weathering. A fusion crust is thin and does not show changes under the surface. It is only a thin skin on the very outside from ablation.

Once again, if the rock is attracts a magnet or exhibits magnetism then a streak is generally all that is needed to prove it is terrestrial. If there is enough iron to draw a magnet there is enough to see the streak color.

Hues of grey and red indicatecterrestrial iron. So the first test is always to observe the color of the streak when making the window.

Meteoritic iron will be in little flecks or blobs and be bright and shiny. The streak will be no particular color. Just tan or pale and watery.

Terrestrial iron is generally distributed throughout the stone and will leave a streak that is a definite color... Red or grey. And the stones often show a change of color from the center toward the outside like yours. This is from cooling and also from weathering. Something that is rarely if ever observed in a meteorite.

Volcanic are generally classified as basalt ( dark colored) or rhyolite ( light colored). Those words can be used to describe a whole lot of different forms of volcanic material. They are general groups of rocks.

Just like a Ford can be a Mustang or a truck. And a truck can be an F150 or an F250. And then a F150 can be several models. They are all "Fords".

Rocks are the same. Yours is basalt. An iron rich fine grained basalt. Closer inspection might reveal certain minerals or crystals that would further describe it. But rocks like that are generally called simply "basalt".

Hope that adds a little to your took kit!

• Thanks 1
  • well done 1

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to observe my post .

I truly apologize I did not add streak info.

It was not hard to make a streak.

I'll add it to the rock garden. 

Cheers

20200124_083603.jpg

Failure after failure .lol

2 hours ago, Wahib said:

Failure after failure .lol

If you learned something it is not a failure.

• Like 2

In this hobby we must learn from our failures rather than our successes.

What we learn from our failures could fill volumes though. So it is not wasted effort.

Do some research and find the closest strewn field. Learn what those particular stones look like. Focus on finding a piece of a known meteorite in an established strewn field. That is about the only way you are going to get one or two under your belt. 

Otherwise you are searching for cold finds with no experience. That could be a very lonesome pastime.

Keep trying and stay with it. Sooner or later you will hit one. It took me a year and over 1000 hours searching to find my first one. So when you get that much time invested into the hunt let us know and we will throw you a little party for sticking with it. 

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's some of the Wickenburg meteorites I've found...Cheers, Unc

Wickenburg Meteorite.jpg

• Like 1