Nugget Shooter Forums

Found this in my wife's grandfather's workshop. Thought it could be a meteorite so I did some research. It does seem to meet most of the criteria (heavy/dense, metallic, magnetic, burnt surface) but I haven't seen anything that looks quite like this so I'm at a loss. Hopefully its not just slag. Would love some help in identifying :) Thanks!!!

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_9493.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

I'm not exactly sure what it is but it's not a meteorite. Sorry. What was your wife's grandfather doing in the workshop? That may give us a clue.

13 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I'm not exactly sure what it is but it's not a meteorite. Sorry. What was your wife's grandfather doing in the workshop? That may give us a clue.

I believe he had a metal detector and searched for things as a hobby. What disqualifies it as a meteorite?

The interior does not display any characteristics of a meteorite.  The black coating on the outside does not appear to be fusion crust, and that part of the rock exterior does not resemble what a fusion crusted surface would look like.  It does not appear to be a meteorite, looks like a byproduct of some sort of human activity to me.

• Like 4
On 1/21/2020 at 5:16 PM, Mikestang said:

The interior does not display any characteristics of a meteorite.  The black coating on the outside does not appear to be fusion crust, and that part of the rock exterior does not resemble what a fusion crusted surface would look like.  It does not appear to be a meteorite, looks like a byproduct of some sort of human activity to me.

Dang! well thanks for taking a look at it :)

On 1/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, burniejm said:

Found this in my wife's grandfather's workshop. Thought it could be a meteorite so I did some research. It does seem to meet most of the criteria (heavy/dense, metallic, magnetic, burnt surface) but I haven't seen anything that looks quite like this so I'm at a loss. Hopefully its not just slag. Would love some help in identifying :) Thanks!!!

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_9493.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

One side is smooth and the other is rocky, it's brecciated and apears to have gases released from it. Either a very rare meteorite or something man made. It looks like it has glypts from the picture.