Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Recommended Posts

Found this in my wife's grandfather's workshop. Thought it could be a meteorite so I did some research. It does seem to meet most of the criteria (heavy/dense, metallic, magnetic, burnt surface) but I haven't seen anything that looks quite like this so I'm at a loss. Hopefully its not just slag. Would love some help in identifying :) Thanks!!!

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_9493.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not exactly sure what it is but it's not a meteorite. Sorry. What was your wife's grandfather doing in the workshop? That may give us a clue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I'm not exactly sure what it is but it's not a meteorite. Sorry. What was your wife's grandfather doing in the workshop? That may give us a clue.

I believe he had a metal detector and searched for things as a hobby. What disqualifies it as a meteorite?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The interior does not display any characteristics of a meteorite.  The black coating on the outside does not appear to be fusion crust, and that part of the rock exterior does not resemble what a fusion crusted surface would look like.  It does not appear to be a meteorite, looks like a byproduct of some sort of human activity to me.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 5:16 PM, Mikestang said:

The interior does not display any characteristics of a meteorite.  The black coating on the outside does not appear to be fusion crust, and that part of the rock exterior does not resemble what a fusion crusted surface would look like.  It does not appear to be a meteorite, looks like a byproduct of some sort of human activity to me.

Dang! well thanks for taking a look at it :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, burniejm said:

Found this in my wife's grandfather's workshop. Thought it could be a meteorite so I did some research. It does seem to meet most of the criteria (heavy/dense, metallic, magnetic, burnt surface) but I haven't seen anything that looks quite like this so I'm at a loss. Hopefully its not just slag. Would love some help in identifying :) Thanks!!!

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_9493.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

One side is smooth and the other is rocky, it's brecciated and apears to have gases released from it. Either a very rare meteorite or something man made. It looks like it has glypts from the picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...