Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
WillM

What could this be? It makes a diamond detector go off

Recommended Posts

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here knew the number of things this could possibly be. I think it is topaz but even that seems far fetched. I think it could be a diamond impact melt breccia but I was wondering if anyone knew if these were reliable? I sent a piece off for mineralogic testing but not the pink part. What clear rock is found in pink rock? Could it be man made?

As you can see it is a diamond like material included in the pink matrix.

Thought it could be fun to guess what it is on here, then we will know what fools a diamond tester.

20200121_093159.jpg

20200121_093223.jpg

20200121_092941.jpg

20200121_093047.jpg

20200121_093034.jpg

20200121_093018.jpg

20200121_093000.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the pink part is feldspar and the clear part is quartz. Diamond testers are not reliable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quartz and Rhyolite, wasted your money on a diamond detector.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Morlock said:

I think the pink part is feldspar and the clear part is quartz. Diamond testers are not reliable.

 

2 hours ago, Beeper Bob said:

Quartz and Rhyolite, wasted your money on a diamond detector.

I heard someone say they had the same device and it did not register quartz. I looked it up, it could be feldspar or rhyolite. It is not magnetic. The pink stuff is shiny in some parts. Some of the pink stuff was alone. The pink stuff looks flat and shiny in some areas too.

I am very excited to see what it is exactly, and the diamond tester will really be put to the test haha. $15 and it is supposed to be guaranteed. I have seen the diamond tester used for ruby testing as well. Diamond seems to conduct heat at multiples of anything else even moissanite.

I bet this is something new or something.

:confused0089[1]:

Edited by WillM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with morlock, feldspar and quartz.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, d_day said:

Agree with morlock, feldspar and quartz.

 

12 minutes ago, Haderly said:

Absolutely feldspar and quartz

I found a website that lists all of the colorless minerals, I think I counted 33 different types of colorless mineral. http://gem5.com/tag/colorless/

If the device is claiming to be a diamond tester, it is one because diamonds can be colorless.

The only question is whether or not this device can distinguish from any mineral like it claims to. It is an element too, pure carbon. Some of these had flat thin sheets that look like shiny carbon, who knows?

We will shortly, the test is being ordered today, 33 is a lot of things it could be but the quaryz and feldspar is the most logical of them.

Edited by WillM
Website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 8:40 AM, WillM said:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here knew the number of things this could possibly be. I think it is topaz but even that seems far fetched. I think it could be a diamond impact melt breccia but I was wondering if anyone knew if these were reliable? I sent a piece off for mineralogic testing but not the pink part. What clear rock is found in pink rock? Could it be man made?

As you can see it is a diamond like material included in the pink matrix.

Thought it could be fun to guess what it is on here, then we will know what fools a diamond tester.

20200121_093159.jpg

20200121_093223.jpg

20200121_092941.jpg

20200121_093047.jpg

20200121_093034.jpg

20200121_093018.jpg

 

This is Rhyolite.

image.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BMc said:

This is Rhyolite.

image.png

You guys, so the test came back and it was not diamond, it was pure quartz per an xray diffraction service. 

darn I wasted my money on the diamond tester. They must not work for raw stones. Back to meteorites I guess lol

 

Edited by WillM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WillM said:

You guys, so the test came back and it was not diamond, it was pure quartz per an xray diffraction service. 

darn I wasted my money on the diamond tester. They must not work for raw stones. Back to meteorites I guess lol

 

Most here tried to tell you that the diamond tester wasn't reliable but as usual you didn't want to hear that, maybe the same company has a meteorite tester they will swap for the diamond tester!! :rolleyes: 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...