Nugget Shooter Forums

Just curious if anyone could help indentify this rock a field hunting find from couple years ago this is extremely heavy for size I have a strong earth magnet square hung from ceiling on a string and rock pulls the magnet towards it but not fast the magnet does not snap onto rock 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

11 minutes ago, Chillytay said:

Curious about these as well. They are very responsive to magnet 

thank you for any help

4D3E9362-9D49-4449-9F6C-A2FBEEA6C15E.jpeg

147326ED-05EA-4951-B186-BB234DD12E87.jpeg

I think you have rusted iron pieces. Don't look like meteorites. Just scrap iron from many years ago.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I think you have rusted iron pieces. Don't look like meteorites. Just scrap iron from many years ago.

This one is definitely a rock like piece can iron be a rock 

267D78B7-36ED-4D5B-B6EC-00EC63299184.jpeg

876CA0DB-2F2D-470F-8697-F43083F82478.jpeg

Edited by Chillytay
11 minutes ago, Chillytay said:

When test with black it is a black streak silver underneath don’t see anything from streak

7 minutes ago, Chillytay said:

Not sure about magnetite it barely makes magnetic react and magnet does not stick to it

Do a streak test. 

https://geology.com/minerals/streak-test.shtml

Can use a file as well. Smear shavings onto a piece of white paper and note the color. If its magnetite, the powder will be dark gray to black.

1 minute ago, Morlock said:

Do a streak test. 

https://geology.com/minerals/streak-test.shtml

Can use a file as well. Smear shavings onto a piece of white paper and note the color. If its magnetite, the powder will be dark gray to black.

I will try file but what I’m meant as far as streak test was with the part  black it is black streak where I sanded down to silver i am not getting a streak 

Don’t have a real good file but what I used is showing similar I do see little black when I hit the black areas but the silver doesn’t seem to show anything and even the black when I smear with finger I don’t see any distinctive color 

If it was magnetite wouldn’t magnet stick to the rock even the square earth magnet doesn’t stick and that sticks strongly to anything possible I actually have to close my hand when I hold it so it doesn’t attract to things and pulling off of something It takes a slide off 

I see similarities to magnetite lodestone but they state that it acts like a magnet and I tried with nails, bolts, screws and other types metal nothing sticks to it and like I said not even a magnet sticks to it it only pulls magnet towards  it But does not stick and even regular refrigerator magnets are even less responsive to it also it does show that the silver underneath the black shell would leave black streak and it is not 

It is mineral iron.

You are misinterpreting the information for magnetite. It is not always magnetic nor does it always show magnetism.

You are also mistaking sub-metallic luster for metallic luster. What you have is simply not metallic. It is sub metallic terrestrial iron mineral.

A proper streak test will reveal a light grey or pink streak. The window will show a sub metallic luster. This indicates a terrestrial iron mineral either magnetite or hematite.

Learn the basic field tests and how to interpret them correctly. You will never mistake mineral for free metallic iron again.

7 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is mineral iron.

You are misinterpreting the information for magnetite. It is not always magnetic nor does it always show magnetism.

You are also mistaking sub-metallic luster for metallic luster. What you have is simply not metallic. It is sub metallic terrestrial iron mineral.

A proper streak test will reveal a light grey or pink streak. The window will show a sub metallic luster. This indicates a terrestrial iron mineral either magnetite or hematite.

Learn the basic field tests and how to interpret them correctly. You will never mistake mineral for free metallic iron again.

Thanks bedrock bob well considering that some of your response doesn’t make sense to me shows me that learning the basics is right and that does make sense to me. 

• Like 1