Nugget Shooter Forums

I just found this, it is super dense like a wad of nickel but it is very weakly atracted to the weak magnet and sticks to a neodymium one.  As you can see it has the classic glypts and pits we all know and love. I am trying to get into the International Meteorite Collectors Association but I would need two people as references who are already members. Anyone on here?

This looks brecciated and has rust spots, flow lines, and what seems like a thin shiny fusion crust (especially on the bottom on the buried part, this was seen on the surface).

What else can I say? Glypts, dense, and brecciated? Perfect for arguing with scientists with lol.

I just got done selling a "possible" meteorite for 50 bucks just to see if I could. Wow that someone who bought it stands to make a profit! (I attached the one I sold in the second to last picture.) 

I am having fun going routes to prove it. The suspected venusian ones are under oxygen isotope analysis as we speak. As always, I am just looking for feedback. ICMA members get to use their logo when they sell, automatically authenticating it. I thought it would be cool to be able to do that and especially with these beautiful unclassified specimens.

What do you think?, it looks like one right?

Oh yeah it weighs 98 grams

Thanks

20200115_105159.jpg

20200115_105140.jpg

20200115_105243.jpg

20200115_105232.jpg

20200115_105223.jpg

20200115_105211.jpg

20200115_105259.jpg

20200112_113847.jpg

20200115_110126.jpg

Edited by WillM
Typo

Looks like slag to me, that melty vesicle filled part.

Edited by Mikestang

3 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

Looks like slag to me, that melty vesicle filled part.

I thought so too, I took pictures with the flash to show the glypts in the melty area, they fit fingertips well. Besides, this is an oriented piece if it is one (they have vesicles to the back side, and one side looks like a shield). Also the holes are all flat, ruling out bubbles, (bubbles have lipped rims). This has a rollover rim as well. 

Perhaps it would help to have a confirmed piece of slag,as slag does not look like meteorites to me, none of them do. And the vesicles are a part of why it is brecciated it is from a collision with a surface body that was subject to the implantation of gases. These gases also contribute to the glypt formation as the center of the expansion remains in line with the center of the thumbprint.

There are also only 11 vesicles.

All of this information makes me think it is a meteorite.

Thanks

20200115_132840.jpg

20200115_132828.jpg

Not a meteorite.. Sorry.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Not a meteorite.. Sorry.

Can you please give an explaination why you think it is not a meteorite? Is iron shaped into glypts often or something? I believe that we have yet to incorporate all meteorite types internationally, some that america does not approve as meteorites are being proven everyday. The more rare, the less the scientific community knows. 

I found one that seems to be iron in a white matrix. I attached. Very dense and found near a party shop.

We all know iron is not found in nature besides meteorites, and slag comes from a purification process. How can iron be brecciated into a rock? I also believe time will tell with these when all is said and done, one day there will be a way to prove it outright. Mineral tests etc. Can't argue with that iron!

Lol

20200115_141653.jpg

Will,

May I ask, you say you sold one for $50, did you tell the buyer it was a meteorite, or if not what exactly did you tell the buyer?

12 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Will,

May I ask, you say you sold one for $50, did you tell the buyer it was a meteorite, or if not what exactly did you tell the buyer?

Hi, I told him it was fresh and that the iron in it looked natural so he should test if he wants, but that I was "sure" it was a meteorite, and that it was more than likely. Because of all the fluid dynamic knowledge I have, I was hesitant to sell it, it could be worth way more and it's one of the better ones I have. I told him that it was slightly magnetic in the matrix but the iron clasts were strongly magnetic. 

I did not want to sell it but I needed to and it was fun. I would say it is the best specimen to have as far as arguing it is real immediatly, with the iron clasts. I told him I always check for meteorites and that I had bigger ones that I plan to sell for far more after confirmation.

Essentially.

He was pleased with his purchase and said he would take a gamble. It was 20 grams so $2.50 a gram is not bad.

Edited by WillM
Spacing

No two ways about it. You conned someone out if their money then bragged about on this forum. Obviously not a meteorite, and even if you didn't plainly know that you should have got it tested. Shameful.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nakhladog said:

No two ways about it. You conned someone out if their money then bragged about on this forum. Obviously not a meteorite, and even if you didn't plainly know that you should have got it tested. Shameful.

Actually no, you are completely incorrect, in the hour it took me to find the "meteorwrong" I made $15, in the fluid dynamic knowledge I made $30 no question. I was upset that I sold it honestly, it's my best looking rock.

You can't deny the glypts and iron, you have to be joking to say you have a problem.

It would be worth $10,000 if it's real.

You are obviously just mad you didn't find it.

55 minutes ago, WillM said:

Hi, I told him it was fresh and that the iron in it looked natural so he should test if he wants, but that I was "sure" it was a meteorite, and that it was more than likely. Because of all the fluid dynamic knowledge I have, I was hesitant to sell it, it could be worth way more and it's one of the better ones I have. I told him that it was slightly magnetic in the matrix but the iron clasts were strongly magnetic. 

I did not want to sell it but I needed to and it was fun. I would say it is the best specimen to have as far as arguing it is real immediatly, with the iron clasts. I told him I always check for meteorites and that I had bigger ones that I plan to sell for far more after confirmation.

Essentially.

He was pleased with his purchase and said he would take a gamble. It was 20 grams so $2.50 a gram is not bad.

16 minutes ago, Nakhladog said:

I totally agree with Nakhladog!

You should never sell a rock as a meteorite, unless it's a meteorite, which means it needs to be classified by a certified scientist as a meteorite and you have all the correct paperwork, no ands ifs or buts and to come here and post how happy you are for defrauding the buyer is deplorable, it's very obvious to me the buyer knows nothing about meteorites and took your word that you were for "sure" it is one!!  

I would highly advise to not sell anymore of your "meteorites" without the proper certification paperwork or you risk being brought up on fraud charges!!

• Like 2

Just now, Au Seeker said:

You should never sell a rock as a meteorite, unless it's a meteorite, which means it needs to be classified by a certified scientist as a meteorite and you have all the correct paperwork, no ands ifs or buts and to come here and post how happy you are for defrauding the buyer is deplorable, it's very appearance to me the buyer knows nothing about meteorites and took your word that you were for "sure" it is one!!  

I would highly advise to not sell anymore of your "meteorites" without the proper certification paperwork or you risk being brought up a fraud charges!!

You have obviously lost your mind. 

I sold this as a "possible" meteorite in complete honesty.

You are now bringing up my morals. Ok. I have spent a year on one meteorite with mixed results. That is worth money, stop trying to make me out to be the bad guy, I have literally no other stones to sell for so much.

He actually got it for $40.

No wonder the world is at war and all those people died.

There are no mixed results when sent to a university that classifies. Is or isn't man 

Edited by Nakhladog
Typo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, WillM said:

You are now bringing up my morals. Ok. I have spent a year on one meteorite with mixed results. That is worth money, stop trying to make me out to be the bad guy, I have literally no other stones to sell for so much.

Be very careful what you say towards other members on this forum, you have no idea about my mind, you do realize I'm an Administrator here and I moderate everything posted on these forums which includes remarks by members towards other members don't you ?

I based everything I said on your response to my earlier question and you never said you sold it as a "possible" meteorite, you said you told him you were "sure" it was a meteorite, I will however apologize to you for using the words defrauding and deplorable because I know you have a passion for this subject and truly believe you have found some meteorites.

As long as you can prove you sold it as a "possible" meteorite and that the buyer is buying at their own risk then you should be fine, I would make sure it's in writing to protect from fraud charges should a buyer later denies what you told them....but my advise about selling and having certification still goes out to you.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, WillM said:

Your not a bad guy, your just a poser a kook a wanna -be someone who found a meteorite. As the dog said Shame on you for lying and bragging. Your slag is no mystery to anyone here except you. I offered to send you a real meteorite around x-mas whatever happened, why didn't you respond? Anyway that ship sailed it seems you only care about your finds, so have fun i  tried. :grr01:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Be very careful what you say towards other members on this forum, you have no idea about my mind, you do realize I'm an Administrator here and I moderate everything posted on these forums which includes remarks by members towards other members don't you ?

I based everything I said on your response to my earlier question and you never said you sold it as a "possible" meteorite, you said you told him you were "sure" it was a meteorite, I will however apologize to you for using the words defrauding and deplorable because I know you have a passion for this subject and truly believe you have found some meteorites.

As long as you can prove you sold it as a "possible" meteorite and that the buyer is buying at their own risk then you should be fine, I would make sure it's in writing to protect from fraud charges should a buyer later denies what you told them....but my advise about selling and having certification still goes out to you.

Sure, I will be sure to get documentation even if it is a chondrite lol. I would pay the guy back if he was not satisfied. It is worth it as a rock hunter to have rocks that pass certain tests.

I said I was sure in my knowledge but not chemically/ mineralogically. It really was the best rock to buy off me and is worth it for the size.

Will I ever have an opportunity to sell one without classification again? Perhaps. Universities could help.

I was careful don't worry and you didn't lose your mind it sounds too good to be true lol, I will never sell legitimate without documentation for sure.

Thanks. :thumbsupanim

Edited by WillM
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hardtimehermit said:

Your not a bad guy, your just a poser a kook a wanna -be someone who found a meteorite. As the dog said Shame on you for lying and bragging. Your slag is no mystery to anyone here except you. I offered to send you a real meteorite around x-mas whatever happened, why didn't you respond? Anyway that ship sailed it seems you only care about your finds, so have fun i  tried. :grr01:

I don't want anyone to know my location so the ship is still in the dock lol

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

You should never sell a rock as a meteorite, unless it's a meteorite, which means it needs to be classified by a certified scientist as a meteorite and you have all the correct paperwork, no ands ifs or buts and to come here and post how happy you are for defrauding the buyer is deplorable, it's very obvious to me the buyer knows nothing about meteorites and took your word that you were for "sure" it is one!!  

I would highly advise to not sell anymore of your "meteorites" without the proper certification paperwork or you risk being brought up on fraud charges!!

Shady dealing. Sounds unethical at the very least . . .

20 minutes ago, BMc said:

Shady dealing. Sounds unethical at the very least . . .

I didn't want to do it after getting so many people wanting it ,but the customer was happy, I won't be doing it again. I have taken an ethics class and it is ethical on many levels. I could have sold it for more probably. I apologize if it offends anyone but people sell meteorwrongs everyday for a discounted price. 

Edited by WillM

Here are the photos of the 360 glypted rock I sold as a potential meteorite. :evil1:

20200112_113847.jpg

20200112_113836.jpg

20200112_114008.jpg

20200112_113930.jpg

20200112_113908.jpg

20200112_113859.jpg

20200112_113812.jpg

20200112_114054.jpg

20200112_114021.jpg

50 minutes ago, WillM said:

I didn't want to do it after getting so many people wanting it ,but the customer was happy, I won't be doing it again. I have taken an ethics class and it is ethical on many levels. I could have sold it for more probably. I apologize if it offends anyone but people sell meteorwrongs everyday for a discounted price. 

Be that as it may WillM, perhaps there might be some in the forum not in admiration of your boastfulness, concerning what was construed as misdeeds. Apologies and deflection of responsibility notwithstanding.

• Like 1

Exactly how tolerant are we willing to be with this BS? Are we really so afraid to call this out for what it is?

Yup. We are. So it will continue.

41 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Exactly how tolerant are we willing to be with this BS? Are we really so afraid to call this out for what it is?

The only thing that needs to continue is the study of meteorites. It is not BS. How can it be? Now we are taking glypted stones and saying they aren't valuable on this forum, where we all know glypts indicate meteorite. It is like impossible to find a rock to sell with no documentation, I did a good job. I really shouldn't have said anything, but I was trying to be funny like it was a drug deal or something if you couldn't tell lol

Edited by WillM

35 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

If it were up to me these thread would get locked the moment they are posted and ban repeat offenders; all they do is provide a bunch of misleading information to people who may not know any better at a glance.  Nothing positive or productive comes from them.

• wow 1

38 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

If it were up to me these thread would get locked the moment they are posted and ban repeat offenders; all they do is provide a bunch of misleading information to people who may not know any better at a glance.  Nothing positive or productive comes from them.

Not only do they post wrong info but they undermine the science and processes. It is like viral ignorance.

Not to mention they make a circus out of a forum with so much knowledge and experience to offer.

Allowing this to go on to keep from offending the offensive is diminishing this forum. We invite this crap by allowing any crackpot to monopolize this place. You can post any type of made up nonsense you want to as much as you want. It pervades the place. All to keep from offending a few jet propelled wackos that need a stage to perform on.

We can't keep on being a place for fairy tales and cranks. We readily embrace these personalities and they seem to flourish in this environment where anti-science and ignorance is protected speech.

IMHO anyone that suggests using a respected organization or this forum to fraudulently peddle fake meteorites needs to be weeded out. We cant continue to overlook this crap just to keep from offending someone who refuses to accept the laws of physics while ignoring any ethical boundaries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Not only do they post wrong info but they undermine the science and processes. It is like viral ignorance.

Not to mention they make a circus out of a forum with so much knowledge and experience to offer.

Allowing this to go on to keep from offending the offensive is diminishing this forum. We invite this crap by allowing any crackpot to monopolize this place. You can post any type of made up nonsense you want to as much as you want. It pervades the place. All to keep from offending a few jet propelled wackos that need a stage to perform on.

We can't keep on being a place for fairy tales and cranks. We readily embrace these personalities and they seem to flourish in this environment where anti-science and ignorance is protected speech.

IMHO anyone that suggests using a respected organization or this forum to fraudulently peddle fake meteorites needs to be weeded out. We cant continue to overlook this crap just to keep from offending someone who refuses to accept the laws of physics while ignoring any ethical boundaries.

I am not trying to use this forum to sell meteorites.