Nugget Shooter Forums
Gembo

How rare is true blue quartz?

I've come across a lot of articles that say true blue quartz is extremely rare. I'm told that the blue color is caused by inclusions that cause the stone to look blue or it has been zapped with radiation by humans to increase it's value. I read that there is no blue quartz that is blue due to the elements that make up it's composition. I can't find any photos of what true blue quartz would look like. Anyone know of any photos on the web that might be a good examples of true blue quartz?

Why don't you post some photos so we can see what you have?

A few images from my collection. The first two images (same rock) are from Nelson Co. VA. I have another with inclusions of Rutile from that location. Both I purchased from a dealer in the mountains out there. The third image is one I found in northern Wisconsin in Langlade Co.

blue quartz VA.jpg

blue quartz VA2.jpg

blue quartz WI.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, fuss said:

A few images from my collection. The first two images (same rock) are from Nelson Co. VA. I have another with inclusions of Rutile from that location. Both I purchased from a dealer in the mountains out there. The third image is one I found in northern Wisconsin in Langlade Co.

blue quartz VA.jpg

blue quartz VA2.jpg

blue quartz WI.jpg

I have never seen blue quartz before. Thanks for the pics.

Very nice blue quartz Fuss, thanks for sharing. Here are a few photos of the blue quartz I'm trying to figure out. I took it to a mineral show to ask around to see if maybe I could find someone that might know what it was and all I got was people trying very hard to buy it. I was told by a couple of retired geologist that this stone is something very unusual and that it might take some very expensive analysis to figure it out and whatever I do, don't sell it. The stone is magnetic, has metallic inclusions and has a mohs hardness of 7.5. The blue color in this quartz is not being caused by "tyndall scattering" or inclusions. It's one heck of a mystery to scientist.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Hardness of 7.5, round and pock marked, fractures exposing crystal lined pockets? Odds are you’ve got a piece of chalcedony on your hands. And while it’s not unheard of for it to be blue, it is rare and quite sought after by jewelry makers. As to what makes it blue, well I’m not certain. I know there are different mineral inclusions causing the color, but couldn’t tell you which you’ve got. In fact, the only included mineral I can remember that does show up is dumortierite. The only reason I remember this one is because I know someone who has a secret spot where he collects it. He claims this material doesn’t fade with exposure to the sun, unlike blue chalcedony with other inclusions.

It could be chalcedony but trying to determine exactly what this is won't be an easy task. A lot of the stones from the area it was found have been altered/modified from their original state. I've had an edx analysis done to see what elements were present, the first one is of that light colored area you see in that last photo and the other scan is of the blue area. 

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg