Nugget Shooter Forums

Wow! Now that is really cool. I wonder, would you be willing to make a ring from a meteorite I found? Thanks for putting up the video, it was fascinating and original.

7 hours ago, FlakMagnet said:

Wow! Now that is really cool. I wonder, would you be willing to make a ring from a meteorite I found? Thanks for putting up the video, it was fascinating and original.

Sure, if I had the meteorite, the machinery, and the skill to do all that's shown in the vid.:).. It all looks pretty straight forward, doesn't it.

I like the  small " ring chuck" he made.

For now, I'll stick with making a cab every so often in the Palomar Gem lap shop.

• Haha 1

Great work. They can probably be found on eBay.

9 hours ago, FlakMagnet said:

David,

You might want to contact the gentleman who made the video and see if he will make a ring from your meteorite, or get on his waiting for one of his rings, the wait maybe a bit long it seems since he has a long list of people wanting for one of his rings, the cost appears to be $1000  +/- but could increase as time goes on. it seem at the moment he has a niche market but I'm sure most anyone with the correct milling machinery could make one since he showed all the steps he took to produce the ring in the video(this may have been a mistake n his part IMHO), so other people may start doing the same and selling rings.

https://bywindestal.com/crafted/custom-made-meteorite-rings/

From what I observed, I could make a ring like that.   I have preformed those simple machining operations thousands of times over the years.

I have never machined meteorite material though.  It looked like a 'gummy' version of cast iron based on the way the 'chips' were forming.

The etching process at the end, was the only thing in the video that I don't know much about.

Maybe I should start looking for some of that 'fancy' material he was using.  :action-smiley-068[1]:

That is way cool!  Wonder what kind if hacksaw blade he used to cut the blank?

4 hours ago, LukeJ said:

From what I observed, I could make a ring like that.   I have preformed those simple machining operations thousands of times over the years.

I have never machined meteorite material though.  It looked like a 'gummy' version of cast iron based on the way the 'chips' were forming.

The etching process at the end, was the only thing in the video that I don't know much about.

Maybe I should start looking for some of that 'fancy' material he was using.  :action-smiley-068[1]:

Luke it just so happens we have "Pinned" topic on doing the etching by Ruben Garcia who is an expert in the meteorite field and community and very knowledgeable in the etching process, just use extreme caution if you decide to do the etching because the acid/chemicals are very hazardous or get someone else to do the etching.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Beeper Bob said:

That is way cool!  Wonder what kind if hacksaw blade he used to cut the blank?

Jewelers saw, which basically a coping saw with metal cutting blade.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=jewelers+saw&qs=AS&pq=jeweler"s+saw&sc=8-13&cvid=5CB8FED609D84BADAEC5E05F4549493C&FORM=QBRE&sp=1

• Like 2

What would they use to prevent rusting? We all know that's going to be an issue and one the general public isn't aware of.

1 hour ago, LukeJ said:

hardest material have machine is titanium, two small pump shafts with a 3/8-16 tread in end of each. had use a new tap on each one. glad me bid time and materials.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

What would they use to prevent rusting? We all know that's going to be an issue and one the general public isn't aware of.

I wonder if a phosphate treatment would last?

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

On the website that Skip posted the link to:   https://bywindestal.com/crafted/custom-made-meteorite-rings/

The gentleman discusses at length the methods used to help prevent rust.  The main concern is a nickel allergy however.

In order to make stainless steel more rust resistant, a process called passivation is employed.  The metal object is placed in a nitric acid solution for an hour or so.  The nitric will dissolve the iron atoms at the surface only leaving the nickel and chromium behind.  There by creating a 'stainless' skin on the surface.  Just an FYI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wet/dry washer said:

hardest material have machine is titanium, two small pump shafts with a 3/8-16 tread in end of each. had use a new tap on each one. glad me bid time and materials.

When drilling holes for subsequent tapping in a material like titanium, a slower drill speed coupled with a heavier feed rate is the best approach.  Pecking the drill and removing the material quickly is the way to go.  Faster drill speeds and lesser chip loads will cause work hardening of the hole and make it more difficult, if not impossible to tap.  3/8-16 is a pretty coarse thread as well.  Spiral point taps with three or more flutes help quite a bit, but the hole has to be deeper or through.  Usually, titanium parts have fine threads in my experience.

AuSeeker, thanks, I think I will wait awhile, although I do have a meteorite. I was enthralled with the video though. Imagine having a ring like that; otherworldly for sure.

Amazing. . . Never seen anything like it and wouldn't a ring like that be awesome to own. Thanks for posting.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:25 PM, FlakMagnet said:

AuSeeker, thanks, I think I will wait awhile, although I do have a meteorite. I was enthralled with the video though. Imagine having a ring like that; otherworldly for sure.

David – you need to make your own. You don’t need the fancy equipment. I made one for myself using diamond core bits, files, sandpaper and diamond polishing compound. Just go slow and take your time. Mine turned out great but should have made a wide band like the one in the video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1