Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Morlock

Pyrite Trilobites

Ran across this article. We have the limestone trilobites from a local quarry which are the most common kind. We also have pyrite sand dollars which can be found in some of the abandoned coal mines nearby.

Never before have I heard of pyrite trilobites until now. They must be pretty expensive if you can buy them. Probably have to watch out for fakes using gold paint as well.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/pyrite-trilobites-upstate-new-york

• Like 2

The Pyrite Trilobytes were a punk rock band in Austin Texas in 1979. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

Ran across this article. We have the limestone trilobites from a local quarry which are the most common kind. We also have pyrite sand dollars which can be found in some of the abandoned coal mines nearby.

Never before have I heard of pyrite trilobites until now. They must be pretty expensive if you can buy them. Probably have to watch out for fakes using gold paint as well.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/pyrite-trilobites-upstate-new-york

I found one for $975.00. I knew they would be expensive but not that much.

https://www.fossilrealm.com/collections/trilobites-for-sale/products/rare-pyritized-triarthrus-trilobite-ventral

Wife and i are planning a trip to the Green River formation in Mt. early spring. Hope to pull up some nice specimens.

8 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Wife and i are planning a trip to the Green River formation in Mt. early spring. Hope to pull up some nice specimens.

Green River Formation has world class specimens, but too young for trilobites or there are none in the deposit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GeoJack said:

I've been to Green River formation myself and did well for my time there. I went to the Warfield Quarry as I didn't know where else to go. The caretakers were very helpful and it's impossible to get skunked. I think you'll be pleased.