Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wahib

Help identifying please

Hi

Merry Christmas & happy new year 

I found this rock and would like some help identifying please.

Slightly magnetic,

nickle test , little colored, maybe rust

Certain spots in the light it has a Silvery

Found in Victoria 

Thank you

20200102_133211.jpg

20200102_133153.jpg

20200102_133228.jpg

Cut a window in it. Observe the color of the streak. Take a peek at the matrix inside.

It looks like an iron rich terrestrial to me. But still do the tests. You might lean something new. In that way you can turn a common terrestrial stone into something precious.

• Thanks 1

Thank you

window looks flat black and the grounds are metallic gray 

It almost looks glassy 

1 pic with file grounds 

2 pic with out

On the one side has a chunk missing 

Yet it dosen't have any sharp edges 

Kind of glazed lo

Its 8" long 5"wide 2" deep

I am a newbie only a couple of years 

I think you might be right about it being an earth rock 

20200102_212419.jpg

20200102_215101.jpg

• Like 1

That's probably magnetite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A grey streak indicates magnetite. An terrestrial oxide of iron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your help I'll just put it in my rock garden and keep hunting 

Cheers

• well done 1

Great attitude my friend!

The iron you are looking for is free metallic iron. Not an oxide of iron.

There isn't any oxygen in space. So the iron is unoxidized. It appears bright and shiny like steel. 

Earth is oxygen rich and all iron is oxidized. Except for the smelted iron that is man made. So terrestrial iron is always oxidized. Meteoritic iron is never oxidized.

If it sticks to a magnet the first simple test is to determine the state of the iron that is making it magnetic. A window will give you a look and the cuttings reveal the streak.

Oxidized iron will streak in shades of red and grey. It will appear sub-metallic in the window. Free metallic iron streaks metallic and looks metallic in the window.

Most of the time ruling out a meteorite is just as simple as that. If you find something with free metallic iron then it gets a bit more complicated. But identifying oxidized mineral iron in a stone rules out the possibility of extraterrestrial origins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will start doing more research to help make better judgment on  when identifying oxidized 

Mineral in a stone

I was only streak testing the window I made in the rock, yet when I streak tested the exterior of the rock it was very dark grey and black.

At 1st I didn't think it was magnetite because when I put a needle on a string it would not pull it  and if it did it was very small amount to a point where I was unsure if it was my shaking  hands or the rock. As well as I didn't think was hematite because the streaks were Gray.

Just the usual I made a rookie mistake:)

Wahib,

You are confusing magnetism with being magnetic. Many stones are magnetic but only a few can have magnetism. Magnetism is attracting the needle. Magnetic means attracted by a magnet. 

Magnetite is usually magnetic. Only occasionally shows magnetism. Some iron meteorites show magnetism. All are magnetic. Most other meteorites are magnetic but do not usually show magnetism.

If it sticks to a magnet it is magnetic and contains iron. The iron you see in your window is not metallic (like steel) it is sub-metallic like graphite. There is a subtle difference but a very distinct one.

An terrestrial iron oxide can be sub-metallic. Like tumbled hematite beads or magnetite crystals. But it is never free metallic metal. 

Yours is a perfect specimen to learn these distinctions. Take a look at the surface under a strong magnifier and notice the porosity of the mineral and the lack of porosity of the metal. The metal is shiny silver and streaks little metal filings. The mineral is hues of grey or red oxides and the luster is sub metallic grey, not silver. And the window will darken the fresh sub metallic face over a few hours. The metal will remain bright silver metallic.

Hope this helps! Keep comparing mineral forms of iron to a chunk of steel and the differences will be obvious.

• Haha 1

Yes it is helpful info.

Trust me if you cut me, I,d bleed green.

Yes I thought meteorites  have magnetism

Not just mainly magnetic. :)

Ill start figuring the different shades and colors of shine 

I added 2 window pics of a rock that I dont think is a meteorite because the out side was to textured the nickel salutation was not reacting pink,

This one has all the same black rocks but they all shine at different angles in the cut window and very sparkly

20200104_185008.jpg

Same rock with no shine angle

20200104_180055.jpg

I need lots learning still

Thank you for all your help you guys are awesome. 

20200104_163616.jpg

Your gonna think I'm crazy but I thought it was a Martin lol my dream .

Last pic has water on the rock

All black,No streak,hard to diamond file, light gray to white slurry.  The outside is full of Little Rock's the are all black Biggest one is quarter inch near the front scattered all over it gets smaller as you get to the back or smaller end of the rock,looks very aerodynamic ,magnetic, 

Nickel test was negative so I put it in the rock garden

Cheers

20200104_163336.jpg

20200104_152514.jpg

20200104_153052.jpg

I dream of Martians too! So no worries there my friend!

I think it is an iron silica mineral. Probably a volcanic. 

It will look fantastic in the garden with all the rest of the rocks you will be dragging in.

When you first start out you must make some incorrect assumptions and observations. We are forced to learn from our many failures rather than our successes. It is all a part of gaining knowledge. 

When we gaze at a stone we want to believe. We believe in the power of the stone. Or the value. Or the rarity. Stones and believing go together in the human animal. We relied on stones to survive for a few million years. It is hardwired into our behavior. 

That deeply embedded genetic urge leads us to some bizarre conclusions sometimes. We have all been there. Some guys go there and can't find their way back. This forum is full of cases of "Bolide Fever". It is poison to a lot of guys and you can see that in hundreds of old threads in this forum.

You seem to be able to take it in stride. You have passed the first test of a meteorite hunter and that is you must be able to accept reality. Even if you have a strong emotional investment in a rock.

Now all you need to do is to learn the basic testing techniques. Look at a bunch of meteorites and handle as many as you can get your hands on. Forget the nickel test. Learn the common forms of terrestrial iron and how to identify them. Learn about slag. Learn about gas bubbles and oxidation in a silica rich fluid. Research locations of finds and falls. Hunt known strewn fields. Do it until your skin looks like shoe leather. 

If you follow my instructions you will find a meteorite before lightning strikes you the second time. This is a guarantee!

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Your awesome 

Thank you for being positive about it

and taking the time to view my posts 

Cheers

• Like 2