Nugget Shooter Forums
Sonny

Hearing aids and headphones.

Any of you wear hearing aids under your headphones while detecting? Around the house I can’t hear the stove timer or certain high tones. I have a pair but never wear them. Just curious if it would help with the faint deep targets signals or would the hearing aids get destroyed first trip out.

Hi Sonny,  

I wear hearing aids for the same reason you do; loss of high tones (how bout not being able to hear your blinker signal when it's on etc.)

If you have headphones with ear pads that give you enough comfort, and it's not too hot, (my hearing aids are 'moisture resistant' and I have worn them under headphones in the heat where I was sweating quite a bit and have never had a problem, but I'm not too sure that it's a good idea), sure go ahead and wear them. I have tried it both ways. For years I have always used an amp. I first had a B&Z and now I have a SteelPhase. With both amps I am able take my hearing aids off if I choose. At this point it has become personal preference depending on general headphone comfort and the heat. I do think having an amp really helps if you are not comfortable wearing your hearing aids under headphones. 

I want to stress that you will be fine even without an amp if you are tuned well, but for me, I prefer using an amp and have used one for many years, confident that I will not be missing the subtle or faint signals.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, FlakMagnet said:

Hi Sonny,  

I wear hearing aids for the same reason you do; loss of high tones (how bout not being able to hear your blinker signal when it's on etc.)

If you have headphones with ear pads that give you enough comfort, and it's not too hot, (my hearing aids are 'moisture resistant' and I have worn them under headphones in the heat where I was sweating quite a bit and have never had a problem, but I'm not too sure that it's a good idea), sure go ahead and wear them. I have tried it both ways. For years I have always used an amp. I first had a B&Z and now I have a SteelPhase. With both amps I am able take my hearing aids off if I choose. At this point it has become personal preference depending on general headphone comfort and the heat. I do think having an amp really helps if you are not comfortable wearing your hearing aids under headphones. 

I want to stress that you will be fine even without an amp if you are tuned well, but for me, I prefer using an amp and have used one for many years, confident that I will not be missing the subtle or faint signals.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays

Thanks for the reply. I will give them a try!

I have a hearing loss as well. It's impossible for me to wear a hearing aid with headphones due to the electronic feedback. It'll drive me nuts. The reality is all you need are really good headphones with volume control or amiplifier.

I was very successful with the Koss TD 81's. But each person will have their own preference. Learning the machine and interpretation of your signals takes patience and time. I simply could not use someone else's headphones since I was so used to mine.

Sonny

remember there is a full range of tone adjustment on most detectors....run through the whole range for the most hear-able for you.

fred

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fredmason said:

remember there is a full range of tone adjustment on most detectors....run through the whole range for the most hear-able for you.

Thanks for adding that Fred, I meant to and forgot. (that's a whole other problem).

• Like 1

Since we are on the subject :old: of being able to "hear" what a detector can be saying I would like to ask any of you that have and use  :olddude:hearing aids "DO you also have tinnitus"  in addition to hearing loss and did you have the tinnitus long before the hearing aids ?
I am wanting to find out "IF" the hearing aids MAGNIFY :yikes:  the tinnitus at the same time ????????????????????????????? 

Hi Frank, I had tinnitus before I got hearing aids. I don't find that the aids magnify. I can listen to the tinnitus with hearing aids on, take them out and the tinnitus is the same. Honestly most of the time I am unaware of the tinnitus -  that all changes if I think about it…weird I guess. 

Happy Holidays to you sir...

• Like 1

Frank

the noise you hear from tinnitus isn't real like the wind or talking...it is an artifact of your mind and body...aspirin makes my ears ring so I take the minimal dose....probably way worse for many people....

try a lower tone to determine if you can ignore the delusion and hear the reality...

fred

Thanks Fred, however it NEVER went away for 50 years now it sucks period.
Always wondered if hearing aids would have been an asset or a hindrance.

Had a guy come through a class with hearing aids that were blue tooth capable.  Claims he could synch them to his phone with music, leave the phone in the office, walk around the building listening to music, and no-one would hear the music.

if the headphones could be plugged into a device that could transmit blue tooth, this would be good.  https://www.resound.com/en-us/hearing-aids/bluetooth-hearing-aids.  If metal detectors added a Bluetooth capability, this would be even better.

Claimed his music in his hearing aides was great quality.

The level of tinnitus is different for everybody, mine sounds like Big Ben going off, and the ringing never stops. Hearing aids simply magnify the ringing and every other sound, can't wear them to restaurants, baby's making noise tables away drive me up a wall, without the hearing aids I enjoy my meal, but also cannot hear my wife, makes a great night out. as far as using them with headphones, same thing applies, the humming of the threshold will give me a migraine within the hour. I now use earbuds and am able to control what I hear.

By the way if you developed your tinnitus because of the service you can apply for disability, it took 40+ years, I finally got mine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

Claimed his music in his hearing aides was great quality.

Mine are like that and getting phone calls like that on bluetooth is a great help.

Detecting with bluetooth would be interesting.

Merry Christmas you guys.

I just received notice that treasure products.com has reintroduced the Vibra-phone. It plugs into headphone jack and vibrates according to sounds. attaches to your rig with velcro. I wear 2 BTE hearing aids and headphones are troublesome due to pressing uncomfortably in ear, feedback, and sweating causing the aids to fail. I am new to detecting and close to getting a Vaquero for mine tailings and general use. I will give a review if i end up buying one of these things. Anybody have any experience with the original Vibra-phone?    

First, my opinion is I don't want to wreck my hearing aids by sweating under my headphones.  So I take my hearing aids off and instead I use an amplifier to amplify the sound.  The two Screamer amplifiers I carry, the ones suited especially for the GP/SP and the other for the GPX Gold Screamer amplify sound 500%.  The Treasure Screamer can be used with any detector, it uses a 9 volt battery, it also amplifies sound 500%.  Contact Bill if you need one.  The retail for $135.

Second,  I have tinnitus really bad.  My hearing aids have a tinnitus masker setting I can turn on or off.  This is simply a wooshing sound, like white noise, that is soothing and helps with the aggravation of the ringing.  Both Starkey and Oticon have this feature.  But if you are going to look at either of those HA go to http://hearingrevolution.com/ 

They will save you a couple thousand dollars.  You tell them what you need and they arrange for you to see one of their audiologists in your area.  You pay hearing revolution and everything is included in the price, the initial testing, the fitting and follow up visits. 

The theory of the tinnitus masker is that if you are laying in a tent and you hear one lone cricket chirping it could drive you nuts.  But if that tent is located next to a fast running stream where you hear the rush of the water, that would be peaceful and mask the sound of the cricket and also probably make you pee in your sleeping bag.

Now let me tell you that after I got my HA actually being able to hear a full range of sounds, helped my tinnitus.  It's not that it made it go away, but there is so much more to hear that your brain concentrates on those new high sounds you have not been hearing for a long time, and the tinnitus does not seem to be so noticeable.

I have noticed that my diet seems to affect the level of my tinnitus as well.  If I eat a lot of sugar, which I am prone to do, that really makes the ringing in my ears bad.  If I could stay away from ice cream and chocolate I'd be golden.

I have actually had some success with Ring Stop, which is a supplement.  Taking four capsules seems to lessen the ringing to a tolerable level.

So you could start off with less expensive hearing aids.  Costco is the place to go, for a good selection around the $1,700 range but they have no models with the tinnitus feature.  But given my experience, when you are hearing a full range of sounds, you may not need the masking feature.  And, personally I really question whether buying $4000 hearing aids just to have white noise  is a smart expenditure of funds.  I would suggest you get hearing aids from Costco that pair with your phone, I-phone or Android, and use an app called White Noise Lite on your phone that will give you the same effect directly into your hearing aids.  And the plus of using a phone app is you have a wide variety of sounds you can choose from and you can usually find one that you will find pleasing to you.

Doc

• Like 3

Doc, the VA gives me mine, I'm on my 4th set, I can wear headphones with them, They are Blue tooth also. Grubstake

I read about the noisy environments.  This is one of the benefits of some of the more feature rich hearing aids.  If you are looking to get your first pair of hearing aids it's hard because you don't even know what you don't know.  I call this phase of anything the "Uninformed Idiot."  That's not a knock, literally everyone starts at that stage when they think they are interested in something they know nothing about.  Including metal detecting.  Do you remember that feeling of not even being informed enough to know what questions you should ask?  I was looking to buy my first gold nugget detector in like 1990 or so and bought an Excalibur because some Minelab dealer in Kentucky told me it was hot on gold.  He didn't tell me he meant gold jewelry.  Doesn't find small nuggets at all.  But I was not smart enough to ask the right questions.  Once you get more information you become an "Informed Idiot."  Now you at least know enough to ask sensible questions.  If only I had asked. "So how small a gold nugget will an Excalibur find?" 

So with your first pair of hearing aids you want ones that have different programs.  My hearing aids have 4 programs.I have General, Speech in Noise, Comfort, TCoil and Microphone.  General I don't have the tinnitus feature turned on.  I have the tinnitus feature turned on for programs 2 and 3. 

I don't suggest you pay for the T-Coil feature it's not something I use.  But having the ability to have your audiologist be able to put different programs into different channels is nice.  These modern hearing aids actually have the ability to amplify certain frequencies that you have a hearing loss in.  So instead of just amplifying everything, it only amplifies those frequencies you have a deficit in.  In some hearing aids, it actually takes your weak frequencies and instead of amplifying it, it changes those sounds to a frequency that you can hear.  When you have different programs, they can be programmed to not hear loud or annoying noises, or they can actually program your hearing aids in one of your programs to clip out certain frequencies like clanging dishes if the volume of that sound is above a certain level that you find annoying.

If you have a high frequency loss but actually find loud sounds in that frequency painful, that is called "recruitment."  A good audiologist will check you for recruitment.  I have it.  I can't hear high frequencies unless they are really loud.  Then I can hear them, but I find it painful.  So your hearing aids need to be programmed to allow you to hear those frequencies but not at a level that is painful or uncomfortable.  Modern hearing aids can be programmed to "clip" or mute loud sounds above a certain level in the frequencies you find painful.   That is why you are paying $2000 for HA instead of this generic crap they sell for $400 a pair which does nothing more than amplify everything.

Today's modern HA are technological marvels.

Doc

12 hours ago, grubstake said:

Doc, the VA gives me mine, I'm on my 4th set, I can wear headphones with them, They are Blue tooth also. Grubstake

The VA, even if not registered as a disabled vet may get you hearing aides.  You can go back and get a disability filed decades later.

I know a couple of veterans, Viet Nam era, who were not registered with the VA, but were within the last three years able to go back and get a disability rating and free hearing aides.  With my dealings with the VA, free means cost free, but you'll probably spend days getting records, appointments, and the hearing aides delivered.

I'm happy they're giving the blue tooth hearing aides to vets and not just the active duty.

• Like 1

I'm a Vietnam Vet, got 100% service connected agent orange, They are real;ly good about getting you hearing aids, Grubstake

Grubstake and I was detecting Mariposa one day and I decided to wear my hearing aids under my black widow headphones.   somewhere along the line I took my headphones off and  lost one of my hearing aids.  I was already at the truck when I discovered my loss.   I  walked back a half mile retracing my steps and finally found it in the middle of a logging road...........Talk about relief.   Not as luck when my dog got  one off the  counter and chewed it up.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1