Nugget Shooter Forums
WillM

I started a new topic because this one has flight marks.

I don't know what I am going to do, I have the rocks but I am having a hard time getting them confirmed. I thought I would post this one to see what other people think if I am crazy or not. This has wings on it that show it was a flying mass. I am just trying to verify my first meteorite with other people.

20191214_092214.jpg

20191214_092141.jpg

20191214_092011.jpg

20191214_091957.jpg

20191214_091945.jpg

20191214_092032.jpg

• Like 1

Slag. Sorry.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Slag. Sorry.

Sure, it looks like slag, but doesn't it resemble a meteorite?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

Slag. Sorry.

This is the most radical and beautiful meteorite piece on the planet.

Edited by WillM
  • Like 1

Definitely looks like slag to me, but what do I know?

• well done 1

2 hours ago, steelguy said:

Definitely looks like slag to me, but what do I know?

You certainly know enough to hit the nail on the head with this one. It is obviously oxidized metals and silica flux. Nothing but another  hunk of refractory waste.

• Like 1

The second pic , I see a guy with a sloped forehead, big nose, and a big mouth..

Remind me of Bedrock Bob:brows:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Nope.

:idunno:

I just need the chemical data I guess this is going to be fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

You certainly know enough to hit the nail on the head with this one. It is obviously oxidized metals and silica flux. Nothing but another  hunk of refractory waste.

Explain the lips all meeting each other, this was affected by air, that tells me it was not made on accident as slag.

Edited by WillM
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WillM said:

Explain the lips all meeting each other, this was affected by air, that tells me it was not made on accident as slag.

Kissing?

If the lips are telling you this hunk of oxide is a meteorite the lips are lying to you.

It is obviously slag and you obviously have no clue how to identify a meteorite. 

Why don't you spend an hour or two learning the basics? If you had a simple understanding of the subject you would not be fooled by common pieces of refractory waste.

Why don't you do the basic field test? Do you even know what that is?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Kissing?

If the lips are telling you this hunk of oxide is a meteorite the lips are lying to you.

It is obviously slag and you obviously have no clue how to identify a meteorite. 

Why don't you spend an hour or two learning the basics? If you had a simple understanding of the subject you would not be fooled by common pieces of refractory waste.

Why don't you do the basic field test? Do you even know what that is?

I forgot the basic field test but this looks like a flying rock, no more, no less.

• Like 1
  • well done 1

1 hour ago, WillM said:

I forgot the basic field test but this looks like a flying rock, no more, no less.

I am sure that your chemical testing will prove it looks like a flying rock. No more and no less.

• Like 1

Sorry Will 

nothing more than slag. Keep looking never give up and you will find a meteorite!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sonny said:

Sorry Will 

nothing more than slag. Keep looking never give up and you will find a meteorite!

18 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I am sure that your chemical testing will prove it looks like a flying rock. No more and no less.

This was also explosive when a lighter was applied to heat it up. I thought explosive qualities was the marker of a meteorite? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere. Besides, I have a much larger main mass with the same qualities that is too clunky to be a piece of slag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillM said:

This was also explosive when a lighter was applied to heat it up. I thought explosive qualities was the marker of a meteorite? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere. Besides, I have a much larger main mass with the same qualities that is too clunky to be a piece of slag.

Sometimes they use meteorites instead of TNT when blasting. It's less expensive.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 7:27 AM, WillM said:

I am having a hard time getting them confirmed.

11 hours ago, Sonny said:

nothing more than slag

22 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Sounds like you just got them confirmed....

• well done 1

Not a meteorite. The combined knowledge here is unparalleled. If you want to insult people and refute facts, move to Washington DC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Terry Soloman said:

Not a meteorite. The combined knowledge here is unparalleled. If you want to insult people and refute facts, move to Washington DC.

I am just reporting findings, that clash with the slag hypothesis, this was a strewn field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillM said:

I am just reporting findings, that clash with the slag hypothesis, this was a strewn field.

The findings you report indicate it is a hunk of slag. Nothing you report has indicated otherwise.

Why don't you spend some time learning basic identification?  Why continue to be fooled by common rocks? If you just learned the simple field tests that every meteorite hunter does it would be a step in the right direction.

If you want to be a meteorite hunter you must start somewhere. Why not start by learning the basic field tests to identify one?

• Like 2

Are you serious?  Slag, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Are you serious?  Slag, nothing more, nothing less.

5 hours ago, frank c said:

WANT SANTY CLAUS TA BRING YA A REAL ONE FER CHRISTMAS  ???:vomit-smiley-011[1]:

6 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The findings you report indicate it is a hunk of slag. Nothing you report has indicated otherwise.

Why don't you spend some time learning basic identification?  Why continue to be fooled by common rocks? If you just learned the simple field tests that every meteorite hunter does it would be a step in the right direction.

If you want to be a meteorite hunter you must start somewhere. Why not start by learning the basic field tests to identify one?

It has a clear hole straight through it too that tells me it was affected by wind.

• Like 1

I am not sure its slag.  I thought it was volcanic basalt.  Looks like a lot of the rock on my claim from the section the geological maps label as basalt.  Only difference is the ones I find don't have wings.

Taken from https://www.rocksandminerals4u.com/basalt.html

Volcanic Basalt.JPG