Nugget Shooter Forums
WillM

I started a new topic because this one has flight marks.

19 hours ago, Mikestang said:

You have absolutely no idea what a shatter cone is.  Or a meteorite for that matter.

A shatter cone is an angled crack like a cone from shattering like glass. I now have my first meteorite lol. :5bat:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, WillM said:

A shatter cone is an angled crack like a cone from shattering like glass. I now have my first meteorite lol. :5bat:

Are you trolling for a reaction?  If so, I have certainly fallen for it.

3 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Exactly my thoughts. But I didn't fall for it.

Edited by Morlock

2 hours ago, WillM said:

A shatter cone is a terrestrial rock influenced by a big impact. Not a meteorite. 

So now you have neither a meteorite nor a shatter cone. All you have is a worthless hunk of refractory waste and a whole bunch of ridiculous ideas.

Congrats! :yesss:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

A shatter cone is a terrestrial rock influenced by a big impact. Not a meteorite. 

So now you have neither a meteorite nor a shatter cone. All you have is a worthless hunk of refractory waste and a whole bunch of ridiculous ideas.

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

Exactly my thoughts. But I didn't fall for it.

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

I am not trolling for a reaction, I have these rocks with these qualities, much more convincing to me atleast that they are indeed meteorites. Stop acting like slag is that easy to find. I actually thought I found some slag, it did not look like a meteorite to me. Here is one more picture because the shatter cone doesn't seem to be getting across. How would this be buried in the ground?

20191220_115102.jpg

Edited by WillM

20 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The evidence that it shattered in places shows it was put under pressure that slag doesn't have. It could have cracked in the air. Like I said, it is explosive so we are lucky to have even one piece. These aren't just ridiculous ideas these are observations so unbelievable I am still arguing with people about it. :200:

Edited by WillM

32 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Rocks containing moisture will explode when heated.

Under what conditions does yours explode?

It is during being heated up with a lighter it "popped" in one place. I theorize that this is because it is from Mercury. When you heat it up it also smells like rotten eggs so there is sulpher.

This is also brecciated on top, explain brecciated slag? :laught16:

Slag that was dumped onto loose dirt and rock  that then congealed into the mass you have.

Sulphur and water  are in many terrestrial rocks( and slag).to cause the popping and smell.

• Like 1

It is not explosive. That is ridiculous. It pops when heated. Many rocks do that for very obvious reasons. You should learn about them.

Meteorites won't pop by the way. For obvious reasons. You should learn about those too.

It is not a shatter cone. It may be shattered because that is what they do with slag. They crush it into pieces IN A CRUSHER and use it as fill in roads, railroads, erosion control and to amend soil in fields.

A shatter cone is a terrestrial rock. Not a meteorite. And not a crushed piece of slag.

You should learn about words before you use them in a sentence. That way we dont have to tell you that you are wrong and explain what the words mean. You think it is a shatter cone because it is shattered and that is not how that works. 

The same with the meteorite. It looks like a meteorite to you so it is. You have no idea what a meteorite looks like or how to identify one. But a meteorite is what you want it to be so you pretend.

Its kinda cute actually. Pretending is fun and in style these days. Everyone is pretending things are something other than they really are. So why not insist slag is a meteorite to a bunch of guys who know better?

We love to sèe your posts Will! This is fun for us too! So please post more often and with more photos of your fantastic finds! We love it when guys with zero experience or knowledge monopolize the forum with photos of refractory waste. We live for some kid in red tennis shoes to tell us how stupid we all are. We dig that crap.

You are awesome Will! This forum is yours to take in any direction you like! We just LOVE reading your posts! I am sure every forum member feels you have made it a better place to spend time! I honestly hope they allow you to post a terabyte of crap before someone finally pulls your plug.

• Like 1

WoW That's my reaction . 

I have a son that has O.D.D. (Oppositional Defiance Disorder) and it's very obvious to me that Will does as well, so I'm a bit sympathetic, the fact that he refuses this opportunity to be educated on what a real meteorite is and what is not a meteorite is very sad because he seems to be truly interested in meteorites.

I've been allowing his topics to continue on the forum because I think it may be educational for others new to meteorites to maybe learn from his mistakes, so even though he refuses to be educated he may in a strange way help to educate others new to meteorites. 

• Like 5

Oh for Pete's sake and for the love of God. . .  in the spirit of Christmas. . . Would someone please send this fine young gentlemen a real meteorite so that he has one. I would but I don't have one.

Au Seeker - I agree with you sir.  I have been educated on this and other threads from what other members have posted.

Merry Christmas Ya'all . . . be safe

11 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is not explosive. That is ridiculous. It pops when heated. Many rocks do that for very obvious reasons. You should learn about them.

Meteorites won't pop by the way. For obvious reasons. You should learn about those too.

It is not a shatter cone. It may be shattered because that is what they do with slag. They crush it into pieces IN A CRUSHER and use it as fill in roads, railroads, erosion control and to amend soil in fields.

A shatter cone is a terrestrial rock. Not a meteorite. And not a crushed piece of slag.

You should learn about words before you use them in a sentence. That way we dont have to tell you that you are wrong and explain what the words mean. You think it is a shatter cone because it is shattered and that is not how that works. 

The same with the meteorite. It looks like a meteorite to you so it is. You have no idea what a meteorite looks like or how to identify one. But a meteorite is what you want it to be so you pretend.

Its kinda cute actually. Pretending is fun and in style these days. Everyone is pretending things are something other than they really are. So why not insist slag is a meteorite to a bunch of guys who know better?

We love to sèe your posts Will! This is fun for us too! So please post more often and with more photos of your fantastic finds! We love it when guys with zero experience or knowledge monopolize the forum with photos of refractory waste. We live for some kid in red tennis shoes to tell us how stupid we all are. We dig that crap.

You are awesome Will! This forum is yours to take in any direction you like! We just LOVE reading your posts! I am sure every forum member feels you have made it a better place to spend time! I honestly hope they allow you to post a terabyte of crap before someone finally pulls your plug.

6 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

I have a son that has O.D.D. (Oppositional Defiance Disorder) and it's very obvious to me that Will does as well, so I'm a bit sympathetic, the fact that he refuses this opportunity to be educated on what a real meteorite is and what is not a meteorite is very sad because he seems to be truly interested in meteorites.

I've been allowing his topics to continue on the forum because I think it may be educational for others new to meteorites to maybe learn from his mistakes, so even though he refuses to be educated he may in a strange way help to educate others new to meteorites. 

4 hours ago, NvAuMiner said:

Oh for Pete's sake and for the love of God. . .  in the spirit of Christmas. . . Would someone please send this fine young gentlemen a real meteorite so that he has one. I would but I don't have one.

Au Seeker - I agree with you sir.  I have been educated on this and other threads from what other members have posted.

21 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

I do know that meteorites possess regmaglypts. This has glypts, bumps that form a honeycomb ripple. You could put a golf ball on it. I am having a lot of fun trying to prove this. The crazy thing is that this would make the perfect meteorite prop for a movie because it fits the description so well. If I did not find them with difficulty strewn over a field I would be entertaining that it isn't one more because then it would obviously be slag. These are brecciated and the breccia is cracked on one, may not be a shatter cone but they are from impact force.

Honestly, how is it matching a meteorite linguistically then getting called slag by the internet?

I like that we are being so intensive, yeah it will show others in the future.

I would be happy to receive a meteorite, that way I can compare it to my specimens.

Edited by WillM

3 hours ago, WillM said:

I do know that meteorites possess regmaglypts. This has glypts, bumps that form a honeycomb ripple. You could put a golf ball on it. I am having a lot of fun trying to prove this. The crazy thing is that this would make the perfect meteorite prop for a movie because it fits the description so well. If I did not find them with difficulty strewn over a field I would be entertaining that it isn't one more because then it would obviously be slag. These are brecciated and the breccia is cracked on one, may not be a shatter cone but they are from impact force.

Honestly, how is it matching a meteorite linguistically then getting called slag by the internet?

I like that we are being so intensive, yeah it will show others in the future.

I would be happy to receive a meteorite, that way I can compare it to my specimens.

These are what meteorites look like in the following link.

https://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-pictures/meteorite-gallery/

There isn't a single photo that resembles anything close to the piece of slag you have.

Slag can be used to increase the ph of soil used in farming, and frequently is, as it is cheap- just have to truck it to location used and spread.

A search using the terms, " slag farming amendment" yields  many pages of information. There's even a national slag association...

11 minutes ago, Morlock said:

These are what meteorites look like in the following link.

https://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-pictures/meteorite-gallery/

There isn't a single photo that resembles anything close to the piece of slag you have.

Here is a stony iron meteorite photo from the link you shared that looks just like mine! Lol

Screenshot_20191222-093513_Chrome_mirror.jpg

2 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Slag can be used to increase the ph of soil used in farming, and frequently is, as it is cheap- just have to truck it to location used and spread.

A search using the terms, " slag farming amendment" yields  many pages of information. There's even a national slag association...

These were few and far between they would have had to drop them off one at a time.

Maybe you just found the big chunks as the rest was pulverized and well incorporated.

Farming history in the area would help (and a talk with the landowner  ) to clear things up.

6 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Maybe you just found the big chunks as the rest was pulverized and well incorporated.

Farming history in the area would help (and a talk with the landowner  ) to clear things up.

It was found in a park and I attatched one that has better glypts I think. There were a few trees, it was along a river. It was grass that was cut by the city and I found some under bushes.

20191222_095337.jpg

20191222_095308.jpg

20191222_095258.jpg

44 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

And before there was a park, there was

Engineered fill along the riverbank. The park was constructed in a flood prone area as a barrier for residential/commercial property. The fill used to restore the banks was a mixture of refractory waste, concrete rubble and milled asphalt.

You know. The usual story. The standard case. Nothing special or out of the ordinary. A common fill material in a spot you would expect it to be. Probably in an older area of town that was destroyed by a flood years ago and restored as a flood control barrier on the riverbank.

I bet there is an arc furnace within 50 miles of the park. Just guessing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NvAuMiner said:

What do you say WillMeteor, ? would you really be open to getting a real meteorite for X-mas, well p.m. your address and i will send you something to compare with. HOHOHO!!!

ht  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hardtimehermit said:

What do you say WillMeteor, ? would you really be open to getting a real meteorite for X-mas, well p.m. your address and i will send you something to compare with. HOHOHO!!!

ht  

That's awesome HT !!!  I appreciate it . . .  I was truly meaning it as a good gesture -n- in good faith.  Kudos Sir   Merry Christmas

HT. . . PM me your address and the amount and I'll reimburse you the shipping cost. or I could meet up with you in Reno sometime.  We are out that way often.  

Edited by NvAuMiner
  • Like 1