Nugget Shooter Forums

GoPro Attachment advice

Chris Coffee

Hello all, 

So, I just received a GoPro Hero 8 as an early Christmas gift and was wondering if some of you could share your techniques on using these cameras for detecting? I would like to use it to record my detecting adventures, but not too sure on where to mount it. 

For those of you that use them, do you wear them on your body (chest mount or headband)? Do you mount it on your detector shaft? If so, is there a specific attachment you use? Or do you just break it out when you dig up a target? This is my first GoPro ever so this is all new to me. Would love to hear any suggestions or opinions! 

• Like 2

We use both the Hero 7 Black and 8 Black and use none of the mounts so far though we have near everyone made even the dog mount :tisk-tisk:, just use a short tripod with bendable legs for all my filming. I love the Hero 8 Black, but am also chomping at the bit to get the "media mod" due out this month which has a direct plugin for a mic without the adapter we need with the 7 and 8 currently. I shoot in linear almost all the time and love the videos these little cameras produce. 

I try to be as real as possible showing trash digs as well as the good ones so folks understand what we "really" do to find nuggets and my subscribers really like seeing all aspects of the hunt as opposed to just the nugget digs. Some videos we all share the skunk...

We also used a Cannon video camera early on and though the video quality was great it was too big to fit in my tool pouch I wear on my waste and also was prone to getting dirt in the lens cover etc. causing issues. The GO PROs are small and water (dust) proof and slide right into the pouch tripod and all. Having to pull a camera out of a back pack or other case quickly gets irritating when in the field digging many targets. I mean ya got to film them all because you don't know if it is gold or not right?

I edit with cyberlink power director 18...

Have fun and will look forward to your videos Chris

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

We use both the Hero 7 Black and 8 Black and use none of the mounts so far though we have near everyone made even the dog mount :tisk-tisk:, just use a short tripod with bendable legs for all my filming. I love the Hero 8 Black, but am also chomping at the bit to get the "media mod" due out this month which has a direct plugin for a mic without the adapter we need with the 7 and 8 currently. I shoot in linear almost all the time and love the videos these little cameras produce. 

I try to be as real as possible showing trash digs as well as the good ones so folks understand what we "really" do to find nuggets and my subscribers really like seeing all aspects of the hunt as opposed to just the nugget digs. Some videos we all share the skunk...

We also used a Cannon video camera early on and though the video quality was great it was too big to fit in my tool pouch I wear on my waste and also was prone to getting dirt in the lens cover etc. causing issues. The GO PROs are small and water (dust) proof and slide right into the pouch tripod and all. Having to pull a camera out of a back pack or other case quickly gets irritating when in the field digging many targets. I mean ya got to film them all because you don't know if it is gold or not right?

I edit with cyberlink power director 18...

Have fun and will look forward to your videos Chris

Bill, thank you so much for the reply. Your words helped a great deal in my decision on which attachments to get. I will be headed out tomorrow to get some of the items as I want to use this camera during my training with Mike next weekend. Sorry we won't be able to meet up, though. Thinking we will spend the day Saturday training and then head to Quartzsite or somewhere else in the westerly direction on Sunday on our way home.