Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kenster

Gold or platinum meteorite?

New forum member with a weird question.

Why has no one ever found a meteorite of solid gold or platinum? NASA says they exist in space.

Just wondering...

• Like 2

I don't think of these meteors as pure gold or platinum, but a higher than normal concentration of gold and platinum than found in most terrestrial ores.  NASA will be visiting Phsche 16 in the next few years which is supposed to have enough precious metals to make everyone on earth rich, but still would be present at well less than .01% precious metals.  Noone has ever found a meteorite on earth big enough to justify removing the precious metals.

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

I don't think of these meteors as pure gold or platinum, but a higher than normal concentration of gold and platinum than found in most terrestrial ores.  NASA will be visiting Phsche 16 in the next few years which is supposed to have enough precious metals to make everyone on earth rich, but still would be present at well less than .01% precious metals.  Noone has ever found a meteorite on earth big enough to justify removing the precious metals.

What about Barringer? How about the Canadian nickel mines?

Nickel and iron are not precious metals. But meteorites have certainly accounted for metals in economic quantities. 

Kenster,

Solid gold and platinum meteorites don't exist in space and NASA has never indicated they have. You must have misinterpreted something you have read or read something that was misinterpreted.

Some asteroids appear to be rich in gold and platinum. Some meteorites contain traces of gold and tiny diamonds. But there is no evidence of any solid gold meteorites. Nor are there any meteorites in space. Meteorites only exist on earth.

Anything that "NASA says" is published. My suggestion is to go to the source and read what was actually published on the topic rather than a paraphrased and editorialized article. You will find that the information you are getting about what "NASA says" is incorrect.

• Like 1

Kenster,

The gold and precious mineral value of Asteroid 16 Psyche is highly misleading in the sensationalized press. Psyche is the 10th largest asteroid by volume at 147 miles in diameter. Placed on Earth it would cover the State of Iowa 42 miles thick in rock of nearly all iron and nickel. Of course, any micro percentage of every single precious metal will value in the gazillions of dollars. Psyche is unique among asteroids in that it is almost completely iron and nickel. The main component of most asteroids is silica, the same as sand and glass. There are no solid gold nor platinum asteroids or Earth landed meteorites. Meteorite precious mineral or metal content is minimal with the exception of semiprecious pallasite containing silicate mineral olivine.

The value of meteorites is that they are rocks from space.

Merry Christmas!

billpeters

Edited by billpeters
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Kenster said:

New forum member with a weird question.

Why has no one ever found a meteorite of solid gold or platinum? NASA says they exist in space.

Just wondering...

Gold or platinum meteorite???? Why not a diamond meteorite? 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3492919.stm

All it would take is another large object to smash into a diamond star to send some pieces our way.:rolleyes:The odds are only one in a few quadrillion.:rolleyes:

Sutter's Mill Meteorite has diamonds.

I agree with what everyone else has said...but even if there were solid gold and platinum meteorites found I would guess whoever found them never even thought in the term "meteorite", more like "GOLD, GOLD I found a huge GOLD NUGGET!!!" and promptly sold it to either the highest bidder or sold it to a refinery, it wouldn't of even occurred to them it was a meteorite, it has something to do with "GOLD FEVER! or such!!

For what it is worth, Dr. Gross, who now heads the NASA moon meteorite department in Houston explained to me when I asked what amount of gold might exist in my 74 pound iron meteorite she tested that the trace amount of gold was so small it basically held no value.  As billpeters correctly stated above "The value of meteorites is that they are rocks from space"

Edited by steelguy
  • Like 3