Nugget Shooter Forums
jrh4

"meteorite" jaguar agates

Hey y'all, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like these "meteorite" agates before. I have my own theories as to how they could be formed like that, but I'm curious what other people think. They certainly are unique! What do you think they are and what kind of processes made them look so amazing?

Edited by Au Seeker
To remove eBay links

jrh4,

Welcome to the forum!

I removed your eBay links because the forum owner forbids eBay links to be posted his reasoning is his own and we'll leave it at that.

That being said I sorta connected the dots that you post those here more so to try and get exposure to your eBay auctions and not so much for our opinion on how they came to be....BUT I could be and have been wrong in the past and instead of just removing your entire topic as SPAM I have left it and just removed the links, feel free to post some photos if you wish and are truly interested in our opinions...BUT no  more eBay links Please!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jrh4 said:

Hey y'all, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like these "meteorite" agates before. I have my own theories as to how they could be formed like that, but I'm curious what other people think. They certainly are unique! What do you think they are and what kind of processes made them look so amazing?

I went and hunted down the page. I think it’s the lighting that makes it look the way it does. There are a couple of pics that aren’t back lit and they look like a fairly typical water worn agate. In fact it looks like agates found in Montana. Nothing unusual in that stone.

I'd like to see some photos of this as the name has me stumped.:grr01:

well they took down the links i posted so i'm not sure how to send you more photos. i just found these on ebay and was curious because i also rockhound in wyoming and have never seen anything like that. they also don't look "water worn" to me as someone suggested. they look sort of sand-blasted as they say on the ebay post. and lighting or no lighting, those things look cool! i'm kind of upset at the moderator here for denying me and accusing me of being SPAM. i may or may not ever post here again

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jrh4 said:

well they took down the links i posted so i'm not sure how to send you more photos. i just found these on ebay and was curious because i also rockhound in wyoming and have never seen anything like that. they also don't look "water worn" to me as someone suggested. they look sort of sand-blasted as they say on the ebay post. and lighting or no lighting, those things look cool! i'm kind of upset at the moderator here for denying me and accusing me of being SPAM. i may or may not ever post here again

Take a screenshot
Open the screen that you want to capture. Press the Power button for a few seconds. Then tap Screenshot. ...Your phone will take a picture of the screen and save it. At the top of the screen, you'll see Screenshot capture.  Or use Snipping Tool.  (Then upload)

3 hours ago, jrh4 said:

The reason I even mentioned SPAM is because your post here originated, according to your IP address from Longmont Colorado, and oddly all 4 eBay auctions are also from Longmont Colorado, coincidence...maybe but since that's all I have to go on I suspected SPAM..but I did allow your post to remain here and even if you weren't trying to garner attention to the eBay auctions as if they are your own....as I mentioned the owner of the forum DOESN'T allow eBay links to be posted on his forums, simple as that, eBay links are not allowed, so the outcome of my moderation would be the same even if I didn't suspect it to be SPAM.

I find it hard to believe that you can't find those auctions again to be able to copy/save some of the photos to your device and then post them here, d_day didn't seem to have any problems tracking them down just from the Title of your topic.

I'm sorry if you got your feelings hurt, I'm just doing the job I "volunteered" to do for my friend who owns these forums, nothing personal. 

Edit:, As I mentioned I didn't think it would be hard to find those auctions again, I just went to eBay and searched for "jaguar agates" and one of the auction was the first one on the search list, I went to that auction and then "see other items" and all 4 auctions are there, if you can't find them and you would like me to PM you a link to them let me know.

• Like 3

I grabbed the pics. 

642020A0-2E6B-43F9-9674-4958DEE61546.jpeg

021D1D9A-473B-4DDD-96F6-3A0D0BB07DC7.jpeg

4A591E9A-0EED-4B55-ACA3-644F31BCA162.jpeg

59F17973-06FB-4461-B77A-C22A486BA25A.jpeg

C1711B43-8773-46BC-89CB-6AD044F2C384.jpeg

EE35822B-23D4-46AE-B276-70C383189729.jpeg

D_day, there were 4 stones he linked too, did you see all of them. if not click on "see other items" and it will show all the auctions?

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

D_day, there were 4 stones he linked too, did you see all of them. if not click on "see other items" and it will show all the auctions?

I had only seen three of them. I posted two pics from each of the listings. I just found the fourth and here are two pics from that one.

ACE80B8D-3206-491E-B696-3EA67C2349B4.jpeg

ED5BADCB-FBD7-41FE-9D04-E402AE7F5F3C.jpeg

I’m lost, I thought agates form inside vesicles and it’s repeated by the experts that meteorites do not have vesicles?:89:

Also for agates to form on another planet it would have to have geology similar to Earth and have agates blown off the surface into space by another meteor impact. So I’m having a tough time buying off on meteorite agate.

1 hour ago, Desertpilot said:

I’m lost, I thought agates form inside vesicles and it’s repeated by the experts that meteorites do not have vesicles?:89:

Also for agates to form on another planet it would have to have geology similar to Earth and have agates blown off the surface into space by another meteor impact. So I’m having a tough time buying off on meteorite agate.

I’m pretty sure the person (s) posting these don’t actually think these are meteorites. I’d guess they are just saying they resemble meteorites, even though they don’t really. 

After seeing the photos, I had a hard time reconciling them with the title.

They look like common agate to me. The corners are rounded up from first stage tumbling. 

I don't see a darn thing about them that looks meteoritic. Or jaguaritic. Just common agate that is ready for the pre-polish stage. Only they have too many pits for polishing.

It looks like someone was tumbling some stones and culled out the ones that would not polish well. Then they decided to sell them as meteorites on eBay.

thanks for posting pics. i couldn't figure out how to copy/paste from ebay. i've done alot of tumbling in my life and i've never been able to replicate anything close to that. if you read the description they aren't claiming these come from meteorites, just that they resemble them and they're worn smooth by the elements like a meteorite. obviously they're taking some creative liberties with the name though. i had hoped for some more constructive replies here but oh well. i still think they're cool no matter what anyone says. beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess

Ok lost even further. If the person is not claiming the agate to be a meteorite then why call it a meteorite?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

Ok lost even further. If the person is not claiming the agate to be a meteorite then why call it a meteorite?

Because the more keywords one uses, the more interest and possibly higher prices they get?

23 hours ago, jrh4 said:

thanks for posting pics. i couldn't figure out how to copy/paste from ebay. i've done alot of tumbling in my life and i've never been able to replicate anything close to that. if you read the description they aren't claiming these come from meteorites, just that they resemble them and they're worn smooth by the elements like a meteorite. obviously they're taking some creative liberties with the name though. i had hoped for some more constructive replies here but oh well. i still think they're cool no matter what anyone says. beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess

If you have done a lot of tumbling then you know you can get the identical finish by burnishing for about 24 hours after the rough shaping.

If you didn't know you could get a finish like that you should try it! It is how you do cultured sea glass. Just shape it with 90 grit until the corners are bumped and burnish with laundry soap for 24 hours. It will put that frosted and worn look on glass or stone.

You can do the same finish by blasting or by vibratory tumbling. I would say these are probably a product of a vibratory tumbler because the corners and concavities have the similar finish. This would not be the case with a naturally weathered stone.

I honestly don't see anything unique about the stone or the finish. Nor do I see any similarities to a meteorite. But if you see something special about it then purchase a stone or two. I am sure the craftsman who produced these stones will appreciate the support.

I don't know how much more constructive an answer you expected. It is agate that has been subjected to a prepared abrasive. It is not meteoritic nor does it share any similarities to any meteorite I have ever seen. Not in composition.or surface characteristics. 

:idunno:

How do YOU think they got that finish?

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that the people posting on this thread would rather just blindly judge something by a name than actually read a short one-age description on ebay to get a better picture. I was really hoping for some more thorough and intelligent replies here. 

No one is saying that these things are meteorites. Or jaguars for that matter. Do you also think thundereggs come from the clouds? Or chickens? It's just a name, please get over it. IF you actually READ the description they talk about where they are found and such...and I tend to believe that these are NOT tumbled. Someone recently introduced me to the term "ventifact", meaning wind-blown. SOOO...does anyone have anything productive or academic to add to this conversation, or are we just going to go round and round talking about how stupid the name is? Thanks :)

• wow 1

43 minutes ago, jrh4 said:

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that the people posting on this thread would rather just blindly judge something by a name than actually read a short one-age description on ebay to get a better picture. I was really hoping for some more thorough and intelligent replies here. 

No one is saying that these things are meteorites. Or jaguars for that matter. Do you also think thundereggs come from the clouds? Or chickens? It's just a name, please get over it. IF you actually READ the description they talk about where they are found and such...and I tend to believe that these are NOT tumbled. Someone recently introduced me to the term "ventifact", meaning wind-blown. SOOO...does anyone have anything productive or academic to add to this conversation, or are we just going to go round and round talking about how stupid the name is? Thanks :)

Despite the seller’s insistence otherwise, there is nothing special about these agates. They are so common in fact, that they can be purchased for $1 per pound at Quartsite every year. None of this $2 a gram garbage. 

• Like 1
  • well done 1

6 hours ago, jrh4 said:

They may indeed be ventifact. Pretty common stuff. They are too evenly finished all the way around to be ventifact. And the conchoidal fractures have been finished the same as the cortex. That indicates to me the surface was abraded. The recent fractures show the same weathering as the oldest surfaces.

IMHO the finish was made by mechanical abrasion. But you can believe whatever you want about them.

Just common agate my friend. Nothing more.

Again, if you like the stones then purchase them! As you said earlier "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". If you behold beauty in these stones buy a few!

Here in the Chihuahuan desert where i live there are hundreds of miles of sandblasted agate. What you have just does not look like the result of natural wind blown abrasion. But if you are interested in purchasing stones that are naturally abraded by wind (ventifact) I can hook you up for much less than $2 per pound. 

It seems you want someone to be amazed at these stones. They are nice agate. Nothing out of the ordinary but very appealing. Regardless of how the surface was created they are not worth much.

No one thinks they are Jaguars or meteorites. We see very clearly what they are. The disconnect here is we don't want to buy them and are just not that amazed. 

They are what they are. And you can have whatever emotional reaction you desire to our responses. That does not change the rocks at all. They are common agate that are being offered for much more than they are worth.

I have some chunks of bright orange and pink carnelian that have been wind blown. They are true ventifact and are a much higher quality agate than these. I would be happy with $2 per pound if you are interested. 

I can burnish them up to look just like these for an extra $1 per pound if you like the "sea glass" finish. That will put a frosted finish evenly on the stone rather than only on the older faces that were exposed to the wind.

Let me know if you are interested. Keep in mind that if you are not amazed I will be underwhelmed and may not post again.

Thank you Bedrock Bob. Can you show many any examples of the higher quality "true ventifact" you speak of? I do tend to believe that these particular stones are NOT tumbled, but I guess you don't so we'll agree to disagree there.

4 hours ago, jrh4 said:

Thank you Bedrock Bob. Can you show many any examples of the higher quality "true ventifact" you speak of? I do tend to believe that these particular stones are NOT tumbled, but I guess you don't so we'll agree to disagree there.

The reason I don't think they are natural is stated above. All the surface is the same finish. Even areas that have obviously been broken. Most naturally blasted stones have at least one little conchoidal chip that is not evenly finished. Most show glassy faces where percussion has interrupted abrasion. And very few are evenly frosted down in the dimples and on broken faces.

That, in addition to the hype "meteorite jaguar" name on an eBay ad convinces me that pretty much everything about the rocks are probably contrived. That just makes the finish on those rocks look even more cultured.

Sure, the finish could be a natural I suppose. Can you explain why you think that? There must be some reason you ask for and then resist our opinions. Can you give me some idea why?

It seems the stones need to be special to make you happy. So you must have some financial or emotional stake in these rocks. Im wondering why. Are you selling them or interested in buying them?

I gave you my opinion about the stones. And I told you exactly why I came to that conclusion. Can you do the same for me?

If we are both just commenting on a photo posted on eBay I am not sure why it matters so much. No explanation so far has made it worth $2 per pound. It is obviously another eBay listing trying to make a dollar outta fifteen cents. They could be fartifacts (gas blasted from the asses of the wooly mammoth) and I still wouldn't buy a sackfull.

That is just my opinion. If you decide to invest in a few pounds let us know! Post up some photos and show us your meteorite jaguar agate ventifacts! ...Or ventifictions. Whichever you truly want to believe.

3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

No explanation so far has made it worth $2 per pound.

The listed price is close to $2 per gram.

Edited by d_day

so can anyone provide me with any examples of anything remotely similar? people keep basically telling me how unamazing these things are, but the reason i'm interested is because i've never seen anything like them before. and if you look at all the pics of the items listed on ebay some are WAY too flat around the edges to have been tumbled. they also aren't uniformly perfect and they have little pocks and grooves that would have been worn smooth if they were tumbled even for a short time. in any case, we've already disagreed on the origin and we're entitled to our respective opinions. but can you provide me with any samples of the "true ventifact" you speak of? thanks again