Nugget Shooter Forums
jrh4

"meteorite" jaguar agates

I’ve got one dresser right now that looks like this. I’m at work right now but I’ll take a picture or two when I get home.

You came here and asked for an opinion. You got it. 

You didnt like the opinions so now you want people to jump through hoops for you and post pictures. 

Sorry buddy. That is just not how it works. 

Ventifacts are common in the high desert areas and so are agates. You are obviously trying to promote these rocks as something special. It is pretty clear you have a vested interest in doing so and came here fishing for a sucker that would buy them. 

It does not look like anyone here is taking the bait. Not on the rocks you posted and not on your demands to post pictures. You need to find a group of people who don't know much about rocks to work your sale. Everyone here is pretty savvy and has spent years in the field. We see exactly what these agates are (and are not). We also see your little game of words and emotion. If you look back in these threads you will see that there has been a parade of guys like you promoting common rocks as something unique. We are as adept at weeding out the hucksters as we are at identifying rocks.

Ventifact or ventifiction you don't have anything that is marketable to a rockhound. Your time is best spent fishing for fools in some other pond.

:idunno:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jrh4 said:

so can anyone provide me with any examples of anything remotely similar? people keep basically telling me how unamazing these things are, but the reason i'm interested is because i've never seen anything like them before. and if you look at all the pics of the items listed on ebay some are WAY too flat around the edges to have been tumbled. they also aren't uniformly perfect and they have little pocks and grooves that would have been worn smooth if they were tumbled even for a short time. in any case, we've already disagreed on the origin and we're entitled to our respective opinions. but can you provide me with any samples of the "true ventifact" you speak of? thanks again

The combined knowledge on this forum is probably unequaled when it comes to subjects like the one discussed in this thread. No one here has any reason to mislead you, although, some like me may be a bit skeptical of your selling practices on ebay. When posters become arrogant and begin demanding WE prove what we are stating, we all sort of look at each other, shake our heads, and move on. Have a great life. :oregonian_winesmiley:

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Terry Soloman said:

The combined knowledge on this forum is probably unequaled when it comes to subjects like the one discussed in this thread. No one here has any reason to mislead you, although, some like me may be a bit skeptical of your selling practices on ebay. When posters become arrogant and begin demanding WE prove what we are stating, we all sort of look at each other, shake our heads, and move on. Have a great life. :oregonian_winesmiley:

When I combine my knowledge with other prospectors knowledge it makes me feel dirty all over. Like I need to take a shower or something.

I must admit that feeling kinda turns me on.

We should not bee so quick to dismiss these travelling agate salesmen. We should set the hook and play them a while before we throw them back. There is some real sport in this game and we should enjoy it more than we do.

The next time some cheekako tries to post an eBay link to a hunk of slag we need to start a bidding war. Or maybe we should all agree that it is exploding martian sandstone. Or a chunk of a carved Spanish poodle. 

If we get our act together as a team we could really screw with these guys. After a few times we could lay a line of BS down that would really be a masterpiece.

We should consider a script to run whenever someone posts a chunk of asphalt from Venus. And another when they start the victim routine. 

A simple flowchart with prepared responses we could cut and paste would provide a simple framework. Then we could predict the response. Maybe offer a prize to the forum member that predicted the total amount of posts the seller would make before they figured out we were jerking their chain. 

I will donate a rare meteorite jaguar agate worth $2 per gram (or pound or kilo) as the first prize. It is probably from Venus, has been shaped by skilled Spanish masons and started a brush fire when it fell from the heavens.

When life gives you a big sack of lemons you need to start drinking lemonade. In this brave new world where ignorance is the most important quality of a good customer we should learn to adapt and have some fun with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Skip knew this guy was the eBay seller the instant he removed those links. He told the forum members straight up that everything originated in Longmont, CO.

Our awesome moderator needs to be recognized for this. Just this much info makes it crystal clear what is going on. You don't even need to see the rocks to know this is a scam.

So not only do we have a lot of knowledge here but we have a darn good "volunteer" moderator. He has a few notches in his pistol over the years too. He deals with our schitte as well as the travelling agate salesmen and does it with a huge amount of respect.

Thanks Skip for what you do. This place would collapse without you man!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 1

17 minutes ago, d_day said:

B79C756D-D6AB-4820-9ADE-A8115E47533A.jpeg

2C8B0D8F-DEF0-49AF-8A53-4F17713A815C.jpeg

I am not sure if you are aware of it or not but I must inform you that you are in posession of a rare "meteorite" jaguar agate ventifact. It is worth at least $2 per gram. I saw another one just like it on eBay....

• Haha 3

jesus you guys are cynical.  i have made ZERO claims on this forum, i've only asked honest questions. i am NOT the seller on ebay btw. it's a guy i know locally and i didn't want to question him directly about his claims so i brought my questions here. but i've been met with nothing but deuchebaggery. i know for a FACT that these guys collect these rocks, but i just wanted to know more about how they formed like that. you guys have all the time in the world to post pics and mock the ebay listing, yet bob and everyone else can't even provide a simple link or pic to something similar.  i'd say the "combined knowledge" in this forum is trumped only by the combined ARROGANCE

• Hmmmmmm 1

Combining knowledge with these guys make me feel dirty. Combining arrogance with them is just plain kinky.

You came here for an opinion instead of going to the guy you know that collects them. You have our opinion on them as well as his. You are going to have to deal with any disconnects that presents.

Was it less painful to deal with our arrogance and cynicism on the internet than his reaction in person?

You know how these rocks got their finish. It was abrasion by some means whether natural or cultured. I think we all agree on that. So take that knowledge and figure out how you are going to digest it. 

No matter how they got their finish they are being hyped for much more than they are worth. I know that is not what you wanted to hear and we are terrible people for telling you that. You were insulted to the point you may never post here again from your very first post. Since that point you have experienced a whole array of emotion over our responses. 

Still, the rocks are what they are. And the hype is real. And you are getting way too worked up over a few agates that some guy is trying to peddle for more than they are worth.

Yes we are all arrogant, evil people. Real douchebags. We are ashamed of ourselves and we have to deal with that every day when we look in the mirror. Your only challenge is having to deal with our opinions about the finish on a handfull of common agates.  My suggestion is that we both deal with our problems without the emotional outbursts and insults. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jrh4 said:

jesus you guys are cynical.  i have made ZERO claims on this forum, i've only asked honest questions. i am NOT the seller on ebay btw. it's a guy i know locally and i didn't want to question him directly about his claims so i brought my questions here. but i've been met with nothing but deuchebaggery. i know for a FACT that these guys collect these rocks, but i just wanted to know more about how they formed like that. you guys have all the time in the world to post pics and mock the ebay listing, yet bob and everyone else can't even provide a simple link or pic to something similar.  i'd say the "combined knowledge" in this forum is trumped only by the combined ARROGANCE

Oh, you KNOW them? Well that changes everything!

okay, let me turn off the sarcasm and get serious for a minute. I just have one simple question. Are they collecting these from public lands, or private property?

On 12/1/2019 at 3:27 PM, jrh4 said:

I have my own theories as to how they could be formed like that, but I'm curious what other people think.

I see nothing having any value that you posted, sorry ....

• Like 3

i have tried real hard to steer this conversation towards "ventifaction" because that's a new concept to me, but look where you people have taken this. i was simply trying to get more information about these agates that someone in my club has been collecting up in WY on public lands. i was hoping for some intelligent discussion about them, something other than the opinions of the people in my club, but apparently i'm not going to find that here. and if anyone is trying to sell something on this thread its bob who is pushing $2/pound rocks that he can't send a picture of. then he admits to getting off on his own arrogance. i'm very disappointed in the quality of the replies here

1 hour ago, jrh4 said:

i was simply trying to get more information

In my opinion, There is nothing special about the agate that you posted. Its falsely labelled as something it is clearly not, nor exists, and has no value except in the eye of the beholder .

Buyer beware ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrh4 said:

.... i'm very disappointed in the quality of the replies here

Another emotional response.

You asked for our opinions my friend. You have heard from a bunch of guys who know their stuff. All of the opinions on these rocks are the same.

It's just agate. It has an abraded finish. It could be a ventifact. No biggie. Agates that lay on the surface of ancient ground all show surfaces influenced by wind abrasion. I have told you exactly why I think the finish is probably not natural. I could be wrong. I honestly don't know much about rocks.

If you feel the quality of response you received was not what you expected then you are entitled to a full refund. I aim to please and every word I post on Nugget Shooter Forums comes with a full money back guarantee.

The disappointment you feel is unfortunate. Rocks should not do that to a person. And people should never expect so much from a rock. Or an honest opinion.

What do the members of your club say about it? You said you came here to get a different opinion. What was their opinion about the finish on those stones? What kind of process do they think "makes them look so amazing"? Do they think the surface looks like a meteorite? Are any of them buying or selling them?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrh4 said:

i was simply trying to get more information about these agates that someone in my club has been collecting up in WY on public lands. 

Tell your “friend” to read up on rockhounding on public lands. Pretty sure what’s posted on eBay is no longer considered collected for personal use. 

• Like 3