Nugget Shooter Forums
Railguy

What kind of rock is this?

I've always seen this on the farm where I grew up. We always call it iron ore . Recently I ran metal detector over it and it didn't set it off. It's only in a small area and I've never seen it any where else. Some of the bigger pieces have sandstone in them. I've found sandstone that appear to be stained by something. Recently I found a sandstone broken and the staining goes into it a ways.

Thanks railguy

20190509_135154_resized_1.jpg

20190509_135008_resized_1.jpg

20190509_135207_resized_1.jpg

I would call that some type of breccia. A metal detector shouldn't go off on it even if it did contain iron. Nice example.

It looks incredibly similar to a jasper we have in California. Can’t say what you’ve got there though. 

More pics

Sandstone stained with the iron rust like substance.

IMG_20191130_105005_hdr.jpg

5 hours ago, d_day said:

It looks incredibly similar to a jasper we have in California. Can’t say what you’ve got there though. 

I hung native American artifacts. I've seen jasper. This is nothing like the jasper  around here. The yellowish piecee in the stone looked like what I've always called "clay stone".

The rocks look sedimentary possibly fused together by the iron looking material . I should say some of the rocks are quite large maybe 5 ft. Across. In the field there is 2 places where its sticking out of the ground. No telling how big it is. I guess it's big enough that it wasn't moved just farmed around.

Another thing I should say is the area where it's at is slate. And there is spings  everywhere. Water literally  comes up through paved roads.I have a gravel driveway when it rains there r two springs in it.

I have iron and sulfer in my well water.

Rocks r not magnetic.

TMI? Thanks railguy

Rock in question with sandstone in it.

Railguy

IMG_20191130_105130_hdr.jpg

6 hours ago, Morlock said:

I would call that some type of breccia. A metal detector shouldn't go off on it even if it did contain iron. Nice example.

It does look like that. 

I live at the foot of the Appalachian mountains lots of lime stone around . It fascinates me that this was once sea floor. These rocks look like their made up of sediment of a large river. No rivers here now.

Is it possible the iron if it is iron is from a meteor?

Thanks railguy

38 minutes ago, Railguy said:

I hung native American artifacts. I've seen jasper. This is nothing like the jasper  around here. The yellowish piecee in the stone looked like what I've always called "clay stone".

The rocks look sedimentary possibly fused together by the iron looking material . I should say some of the rocks are quite large maybe 5 ft. Across. In the field there is 2 places where its sticking out of the ground. No telling how big it is. I guess it's big enough that it wasn't moved just farmed around.

Another thing I should say is the area where it's at is slate. And there is spings  everywhere. Water literally  comes up through paved roads.I have a gravel driveway when it rains there r two springs in it.

I have iron and sulfer in my well water.

Rocks r not magnetic.

TMI? Thanks railguy

I wasn’t suggesting it was jasper. It just looks a lot like jasper I’ve collected from a place called lavic siding.

The pic you posted of the very large boulder makes me think you’re on the right track with sedimentary. It sure looks like some sort of conglomerate cemented together by iron bearing sands. 

7 hours ago, d_day said:

I wasn’t suggesting it was jasper. It just looks a lot like jasper I’ve collected from a place called lavic siding.

The pic you posted of the very large boulder makes me think you’re on the right track with sedimentary. It sure looks like some sort of conglomerate cemented together by iron bearing sands. 

I'm with  d_day.

Conglomerate  ...although the bigger rough chunks in it did make think breccia at first glance.

The second pic shows what looks to my eye like rounded, water-worn (mostly sedimentary)cobble mixed together with the (sedimentary)chunky rough stuff....

The definitions are so similar....

""Breccia and conglomerate are very similar rocks. They are both clastic sedimentary rocks composed of particles larger than two millimeters in diameter. The difference is in the shape of the large particles. In breccia the large particles are angular in shape, but in conglomerate the particles are rounded.""

You wanna call it both??

Earlier this year, I walked a trail around the edge of a lake where a huge wall of nearly identical conglomerate had been carved out to make the trail.

While looking at it up close, hematite and magnetite "black sands" are what I kinda assumed were forming the iron cement.

Edited by DaveZ

7 hours ago, Railguy said:

Rock in question with sandstone in it.

Railguy

IMG_20191130_105130_hdr.jpg

I should have said earlier this is about soft ball size.

Railguy

8 hours ago, Railguy said:

More pics

This rock is about 10-12 inchs across.

Railguy

The second photo is awesome conglomerate bedrock that the sandstone cement has undergone hematite replacement. 

The first photos are the same stuff only from an altered zone. Maybe at the boundary of another formation where the conglomerate has been subjected to heat/pressure or stretching.

Leastwise that is what it looks like to me.

32 minutes ago, Railguy said:

Railguy

That right there is more hematite replacing the organics in the sandstone and leaving only silica crystals. 

This happens by electrolysis from a slightly acidic or alkaline solution. Iron carried in water trades places with carbon in the sandstone and forms hematite.

It is exactly the same process that is working on the cement in that conglomerate.

Or it could be something else. I really don't know much about rocks. I just am a really good BS'er.

• Like 1

I noticed on Wikipedia there a yellow hemetite, could that be the yellow in the yellow stones?

Railguy

On 11/30/2019 at 11:32 AM, Railguy said:

More pics

Railguy

12 hours ago, Railguy said:

I noticed on Wikipedia there a yellow hemetite, could that be the yellow in the yellow stones?

Railguy

Railguy

Indeed it could be.