Nugget Shooter Forums

off road stckers in Arizona

Make sure you take a photo of the on line receipt to show as proof till you get the sticker in the mail.

• Like 1

I have been told that they are citing 4x4 vehicles too.

There was a discussion in a local off road club just the other night. The club suggested that every vehicle have a permit in Arizona even if it was your daily driver.

A member had been cited for not having a permit for a licensed and street legal K5 Blazer just because they trailered it in to the trailhead. They didn't think they needed a permit for a full sized 4x4 but they were cited. It was expressly for trail purposes in Arizona even though it was a daily driver back home.

I think the officer can interpret that law to include any vehicle not just fun buggies when they want to. New Mexico plates might be a factor as well.

Most of the guys were trailering J**ps or Land Cruisers and figured they need permits for them just like an ATV. 

On 11/23/2019 at 4:01 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

I have been told that they are citing 4x4 vehicles too.

There was a discussion in a local off road club just the other night. The club suggested that every vehicle have a permit in Arizona even if it was your daily driver.

A member had been cited for not having a permit for a licensed and street legal K5 Blazer just because they trailered it in to the trailhead. They didn't think they needed a permit for a full sized 4x4 but they were cited. It was expressly for trail purposes in Arizona even though it was a daily driver back home.

I think the officer can interpret that law to include any vehicle not just fun buggies when they want to. New Mexico plates might be a factor as well.

Most of the guys were trailering J**ps or Land Cruisers and figured they need permits for them just like an ATV. 

Like you said, I believe the trailering was a deciding factor here. If they had driven it to the trail...it probably would not have been an issue. My VW buggy has to have the ohv sticker and it's street legal and is registered as such. I think because it's under 1200 lbs.

1 hour ago, beatup said:

Dave i printed out a copy of the receipt but i hope the get it mailed here before i leave for sunny Yuma

You shouldn't get harassed as long as you have the receipt.

2 hours ago, beatup said:

Dave i printed out a copy of the receipt but i hope the get it mailed here before i leave for sunny Yuma

I only recall seeing an official vehicle drive while at Table Mesa Rd.  I think the areas they patrol are more like the popular areas than the more isolated areas.  When I first found out about the Off Road sticker, I could not get one for my street legal daily driver 4 X 4 pick up.  The state website says, "All off-highway vehicles (OHVs) designed by the manufacturer primarily for use over unimproved terrain and that weigh 2,500 pounds or less are required by law to display a valid OHV decal to operate on public and state trust lands in Arizona. This includes “street legal” vehicles that meet these two requirements."  I did look it up to see if that rule had changed, since I try to follow them.

What I do need is a state trust access pass available https://asld.secure.force.com/recreationalpermit/.  Except for that one time, I have never seen anyone that could cite you, but I do like to do things by the rules.

13 hours ago, chrisski said:

What I do need is a state trust access pass available https://asld.secure.force.com/recreationalpermit/.  Except for that one time, I have never seen anyone that could cite you, but I do like to do things by the rules.

From my understanding, the OHV sticker grants access ACROSS State Trust Lands. If you want to stop and park, hunt, hike, or pick dingle berries...you need to get the State Trust recreational permit too.

The sheriff's office will enforce compliance here in the LSD area. I have seen them do it.

Thanks for the weight info as I off a good bit!  

State laws pay for State lawmen. They are enforced by any LEO agency that has jurisdiction.

I suppose you could go to court and prove your vehicle weighs over 2500 lbs. if you got cited.

Trying to explain the law and how much your vehicle weighs to an officer in the field who intends to write a ticket might work. Then again it might not.

If you are travelling to an event and get cited there is a 99% chance that you are going to pay the fine. In the 1% of cases where a judge gets involved the officer fails to show up and the case is rescheduled. Then you have the choice of paying the fine or coming to court again.

After two or three times of an officer doing the "no show" routine the case is dismissed. But you will NEVER get the chance to point out you were cited unfairly. You can't tell your side to the court unless the officer is there. And they are not going to show up to lose.

So that is how that crap works. The letter of the law only works in court. Not in the field. And you cant get to court without the officer's approval. So a whole lot of citations are written knowing that most people will just pay the fine. And the ones that fight will jump through hoops and wind up frustrated even if the charges are dropped.

• Like 1
  • Irritated 1
1 hour ago, ArcticDave said:

From my understanding, the OHV sticker grants access ACROSS State Trust Lands. If you want to stop and park, hunt, hike, or pick dingle berries...you need to get the State Trust recreational permit too.

The sheriff's office will enforce compliance here in the LSD area. I have seen them do it.

Thanks for the weight info as I off a good bit!  

Website explains if you have a OHV sticker, you still need to purchase a state trust permit for state trust land: "...Shall not participate in the usage of state trust land."  So I think you need it regardless.

I would think in AZ that the LEO understand that the OHV pass is intended for those vehicles intended for off road use, not larger pickups.  For me, its not worth purchasing a OHV decal for my truck just in case I get fined.  Were I fined, I would probably pay it versus the trouble fighting it.

27 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Website explains if you have a OHV sticker, you still need to purchase a state trust permit for state trust land: "...Shall not participate in the usage of state trust land."  So I think you need it regardless.

No, not at all. Travel through State Trust land via established trail is covered by the OHV sticker. USE of the land is not. If you stop to do anything, you need the State Trust rec permit.

Your truck does not require an OHV sticker, so you don't get the travel privileges across State Trust lands that it bestows. You would be required to purchase the State Trust Recreational permit to even travel through those lands I believe. 

2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

No, not at all. Travel through State Trust land via established trail is covered by the OHV sticker. USE of the land is not. If you stop to do anything, you need the State Trust rec permit.

Your truck does not require an OHV sticker, so you don't get the travel privileges across State Trust lands that it bestows. You would be required to purchase the State Trust Recreational permit to even travel through those lands I believe. 

EDIT: You are correct above: "An OHV decal allows crossing Trust Land while riding a vehicle that weighs less than 1800 pounds. "

For my pick up, The website says you need a permit to be on state trust land: 

"You must obtain a permit from the Arizona State Land Department (ASLD) to be on State Trust lands. For current fees visit their website."

The chances of getting stopped and fined are minute, but I still try to follow the rules.  I got that from: https://azstateparks.com/trails-on-state-trust-land and that says that state trust is not public land. 

Edited by chrisski
7 hours ago, chrisski said:

EDIT: You are correct above: "An OHV decal allows crossing Trust Land while riding a vehicle that weighs less than 1800 pounds. "

For my pick up, The website says you need a permit to be on state trust land: 

"You must obtain a permit from the Arizona State Land Department (ASLD) to be on State Trust lands. For current fees visit their website."

The chances of getting stopped and fined are minute, but I still try to follow the rules.  I got that from: https://azstateparks.com/trails-on-state-trust-land and that says that state trust is not public land. 

The OHV permit is to cross State lands on unimproved roads. The ASLD permit is to engage in any activities on State land.

I think there are 2 separate activities here. One for vehicle access. One for "use". 

Leastwise that is how I understand it. Unless you are stopping and doing something on State Trust Land you don't need the ASLD sticker. Nor do you need it while legally hunting or fishing. But if the trail you are on crosses State Trust Land you have to have the OHV sticker on the vehicle no matter what you are doing. 

...Unless the vehicle you are driving exceeds 2400 lbs., you have out of state plates, trailered the vehicle or the LEO does not like your looks. In which case you may be cited.

If you resist you will be subdued and locked in a cage after being stripped, searched, chained to a wall and forced to submit to an injection. You may be digitally penetrated if they think it is needed. Then you will be given a blanket and spend the next 12 hours on a steel bunk chatting with a vato with extensive facial tattoos.

Then when you get your day in court the LEO won't show and your case will be dismissed. You will have received the justice you so richly deserve. 

That right there is my understanding of the situation. :)

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I have a folder I keep my permits in. Drivers licence and registration, insurance, hunting and fishing licence, tags, land use permits, wood cutting permits, State Park Permit, concealed carry, medical marijuana, business license,  contractors license,  and a rabies vaccination certificate for the dog.

There is a pocket on the front of the folder for daily camping passes, visitors permits and temporary access permits. 

I have seventeen stickers on my window. All of which are required to be in the lower left corner of the windshield. One fourth of the glass is a smear of glue and old faded stickers. In the summer it is like fly paper. Under the seat there is a wad of camping passes that look like a ringtail cats nest.

I still can't manage to buy enough permits to keep from being fined for something.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1
1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I have a folder I keep my permits in. Drivers licence and registration, insurance, hunting and fishing licence, tags, land use permits, wood cutting permits, State Park Permit, concealed carry, medical marijuana, business license,  contractors license,  and a rabies vaccination certificate for the dog.

There is a pocket on the front of the folder for daily camping passes, visitors permits and temporary access permits. 

I have seventeen stickers on my window. All of which are required to be in the lower left corner of the windshield. One fourth of the glass is a smear of glue and old faded stickers. In the summer it is like fly paper. Under the seat there is a wad of camping passes that look like a ringtail cats nest.

I still can't manage to buy enough permits to keep from being fined for something.

No you can't manage to not get fined, even if you're just walking outside your own house....BUT with all that paper you don't need to bring something to wipe with, so you do save a little bit of money there to help with paying the fines!!

3 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

No you can't manage to not get fined, even if you're just walking outside your own house....BUT with all that paper you don't need to bring something to wipe with, so you do save a little bit of money there to help with paying the fines!!

I wish they would let you bring all those permits into the jailhouse with you. Then a fellow could have something to wipe with after he sat there facing 20 guys on that stainless steel toilet-sink contraption and had to relieve himself. 

If you are one permit short the officer is going to tell you that you can wipe your fanny with the rest of them. So they may as well allow you to wipe with them after they throw you in jail. It beats having to beg a 300 lb. Navajo that has been tazed a dozen times in the past hour for a few squares of single ply.

• Haha 2
  • 2 months later...

Incidentally, if hunting on State land, your hunting license is your permit.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Where can a person read the rules and regulations on this issue. Looks like California crap to me. 

On 4/4/2020 at 11:52 AM, Mike Furness said:

Welcome to the forum. And your new home in AZ. Just be sure to leave California in California when you leave! :rolleyes: LOL!

• Haha 1
On 11/21/2019 at 3:19 PM, Sonoran Dave said:

It's required now, and non residents must buy it from AZ Game and Fish.

https://www.azgfd.com/ohv/faqs/

Bump: Here's the web portal link to read the regulations on the ORV issue. 

• Like 1