Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Recommended Posts

Found an iron ore chunk the other day, it's different from other iron ore chunks that I have found.  The metal on the interior is in shades of blue mixed with the iron around it.

It streaks red-brown and is magnetic.  It seems to have higher magnetism the more blue areas it has.

IMG_20191107_105251.jpg

IMG_20191107_105245.jpg

IMG_20191107_105140.jpg

IMG_20191107_105049.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious what clues you have is its Titanium ore?

I've went to a titanium mine that I found on minedat.org, and found some black titanium ore.  Turned out when I put boots on ground, the mine turned out to be two tunnels about 10' deep.  Was not a real producing mine, but just a test dig.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrisski said:

I'm curious what clues you have is its Titanium ore?

I've went to a titanium mine that I found on minedat.org, and found some black titanium ore.  Turned out when I put boots on ground, the mine turned out to be two tunnels about 10' deep.  Was not a real producing mine, but just a test dig.

Well when I searched images of titanium ore, I found this https://m.alibaba.com/product/108573312/Titanium-Ore-From-Mexico.html

I did not realize at the time this was Alibaba, until I looked for it again just now.  I see now looking at other images that titanium is more of a shiny metal in ore.  

I still don't know what it is

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rutile is titanium ore. It generally looks like little hard mirrored crystals. But it can tale a lot of forms.

You have iron.

Do the most basic test with every mineral. The streak test. Get yourself a simple streak surface and post your results. 

You ID BY streak, hardness, cleavage, luster, crystal habit, density, etc. Since you seem to want to ID rocks you should learn the process and how to do the tests and make the observations. We can help you do that!

I like to look at rock photos and guess what they are. But that is a game. Rocks are real. And there are basic field tests to classify them. 

You should provide some observations with your photos. Let's start with streak. If you do a streak test and post the photo of the result it will give us much more info and you will learn to identify rocks and minerals! 

Just a suggestion my friend. At some point we should take this beyond the game of "guess this rock" and talk about field testing techniques so you can learn to identify them yourself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Rutile is titanium ore. It generally looks like little hard mirrored crystals. But it can tale a lot of forms.

You have iron.

Do the most basic test with every mineral. The streak test. Get yourself a simple streak surface and post your results. 

You ID BY streak, hardness, cleavage, luster, crystal habit, density, etc. Since you seem to want to ID rocks you should learn the process and how to do the tests and make the observations. We can help you do that!

I like to look at rock photos and guess what they are. But that is a game. Rocks are real. And there are basic field tests to classify them. 

You should provide some observations with your photos. Let's start with streak. If you do a streak test and post the photo of the result it will give us much more info and you will learn to identify rocks and minerals! 

Just a suggestion my friend. At some point we should take this beyond the game of "guess this rock" and talk about field testing techniques so you can learn to identify them yourself. 

This is aimed specifically at you Bob

F this forum, everyone on here that's below that petty content score line seems fine.  It's when I see posts from people like you and others like morlock and d day crapping on a person reaching out for help. 

I post on here because I like sharing my finds.  I already did the dang streak test, did you read? Also did a specific gravity test, multiple samples, 2.86.  not hematite or magnetite.

I'm not posting here anymore, it's filled with jackasses that seem to think their opinion is the best you will get, then when you argue with evidence that proves otherwise, you get a "well it's whatever you want it to be buddy!"

Your posts are borderline masochistic, you belittle the people in them while at the same time call them friend, like you are trying to help.  

Nobody here is a professional, stop acting like it.

 

  • Hmmmmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jake7291 said:

  It's when I see posts from people like you and others like morlock and d day crapping on a person reaching out for help. 

Can you give an example of me having ever crapped on someone? Please provide links to posts so I can see for myself. To my knowledge I’ve only ever offered opinions about rocks. In fact, most times I give an opinion, it’s couched with terms like, “looks like” or “might be” because my being 100% certain about a rock ID from a photo is exceedingly rare. So please, if I have actually overstepped, show me, so that I may learn from my mistakes and not repeat them.

  • Like 1
  • well done 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jake7291 said:

This is aimed specifically at you Bob

F this forum, everyone on here that's below that petty content score line seems fine.  It's when I see posts from people like you and others like morlock and d day crapping on a person reaching out for help. 

I post on here because I like sharing my finds.  I already did the dang streak test, did you read? Also did a specific gravity test, multiple samples, 2.86.  not hematite or magnetite.

I'm not posting here anymore, it's filled with jackasses that seem to think their opinion is the best you will get, then when you argue with evidence that proves otherwise, you get a "well it's whatever you want it to be buddy!"

Your posts are borderline masochistic, you belittle the people in them while at the same time call them friend, like you are trying to help.  

Nobody here is a professional, stop acting like it.

 

Wow!!! I haven't seen one sentence or paragraph in the comments for your post that are degrading or harsh. The only time these folks start getting aggressive towards a poster is when they flip out like you have. EVERY single person on here gives their opinions and in that opinion they usually state " but it is a picture, and its hard to tell from a picture". These are good folks on here. If you cant handle a little constructive criticism and tips from hundred of years of experience in the field, like thats on here, then i suggest you just move on.

  • well done 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jake7291 said:

This is aimed specifically at you Bob

F this forum, everyone on here that's below that petty content score line seems fine.  It's when I see posts from people like you and others like morlock and d day crapping on a person reaching out for help. 

I post on here because I like sharing my finds.  I already did the dang streak test, did you read? Also did a specific gravity test, multiple samples, 2.86.  not hematite or magnetite.

I'm not posting here anymore, it's filled with jackasses that seem to think their opinion is the best you will get, then when you argue with evidence that proves otherwise, you get a "well it's whatever you want it to be buddy!"

Your posts are borderline masochistic, you belittle the people in them while at the same time call them friend, like you are trying to help.  

Nobody here is a professional, stop acting like it.

 

Jake, 

First and foremost, I have not seen any posts that were attacking you or demeaning towards you, our forum rules state that attacking other forum members is not tolerated for any reason, it doesn't matter if someone has been a member here for many years or just recently joined, no one has the right to attack other members, if I see any such posts I will step in with a warning, so you can consider this as a warning to refrain from doing so in the future if you decide to continue being a contributing member, if you decide not to continue to contribute here then I'm sorry to hear that because these forums were first created to share with others...but foremost and most importantly to educate others in various subject matter, which from what I have read, Bob was trying to do, he can be a little abrasive at times but he is still trying to educate those who ask questions!!

I'm assuming that you visited these forums and read many of the topics and posts before deciding to join us here, so I'm sure you have read posts similar to your topics before joining, most specimens usually end being something other than what the OP thought it was especially if it was posted with a ? after the title as this topic was, i.e. the OP usually doesn't know for sure what it is,  which is what I though this topic was posted for, so other members are going to give you their opinions on what they think it is or isn't, if the OP tends to wear their heart on their sleeve then they will as it seem you have, get their feelings hurt, getting your feelings hurt still doesn't give you the right to start attacking other members.

You posted photos, you did post what the streak color is, but until your rant post, which I quoted, you didn't post the specific gravity until you posted it in that post, there are many minerals that have a red/brown streak but when it''s also magnetic it does have some type of iron in it, so others posting that they think it's some type of iron ore especially without knowing the specific gravity, should be taken for granted.

We would love for you to continue to be a member here, but that's up to you.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...