Nugget Shooter Forums

Years ago I purchased Robert Haag's "Collection Of Meteorites" It's a nice 121 page picture book of various meteorites...some in his collection..some not.

On the front page is a photo of the Adamana meteorite, perhaps the most famous oriented stone chondrite in the world.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ie2FYXmgCZsDM3Er7

I've often wondered about the conditions under which this was formed. Was it the composition, the shape, the angle of entry? Why aren't more like these found?

15730487364421112553272061447888.jpg

• Like 1

Wow Morlock, that looks like a gem of a book. That is one beautiful oriented meteorite, sure is a nosey guy. I would guess the composition of the rock and the conditions of the atmosphere were major factors in how this meteorite was shaped. Maybe there have been way more than we know, because they are at the bottom of the ocean. :idunno: 

Ninninger studied oriented meteorites and proposed that design when all the Professionals said a needle point was the way!

anyway, the rock has stabilize as it enters to produce an oriented meteorite...many meteorites are...irons included

Not Gold Basin, this is it Griffith Wash more detail in pic on metbull. Photos by Jim Wooddell. This was a cold find for me.
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?sea=Griffith+Wash&sfor=names&ants=&nwas=&falls=&valids=&stype=contains&lrec=50&map=ge&browse=&country=All&srt=name&categ=All&mblist=All&rect=&phot=&strewn=&snew=0&pnt=Normal table&code=55289

I have another smaller one that resembles the one Morlock posted that is from the Goldenright claim at Gold Basin very pointed and oriented. , see if I can find a pic.
Aaaah memories, nice sometimes :old:.

• Like 3
  • well done 2

The ones that stabilize have orientation and that is really cool. 

Irons that spin on an axis get twisted steel wings. Iron butterflys. Lots of little ones have arms or wings rotating in the same direction. You can tell they were rolling like barrels as they came in. Ablating into spiral arms at either end.

Glorieta is almost always pulled in a direction and has a black shield on the leading surface. Many have twisted wings from spinning. Some of the "chunks" have regmaglypts formed around ridges where the stone never stabilized in a particular spot. 

I think the long or irregular pieces tend to go crazy and spin and make weird shapes. The chunky pieces tend to be more oriented or regmaglypts. 

I also figure a lot of individual rocks fall into our atmosphere and slow down without exploding. That is more likely to yield an oriented stone than the product of a large bolide that fragments or blows all to hell in the sky.  Fewer pieces would stabilize and orient after a violent fragmentation.

Those are my unsolicited ruminations on the subject of hot steel falling out of the sky and the shapes it makes as it falls. A subject on which I have pondered many hours around a campfire while listening to my belly growl. 

• Like 2

Here is a link that related directly to this discussion. It is an excellent study for those who ponder the shape and extent of strewn fields. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

In my opinion this is why some shapes fall far away from the main stren field and why certain shapes group together.

This principal is a big factor in ballistics when predicting where a bullet will land. It is equally important in the trajectory of a falling object that is spinning vs. one that has stabilized in flight.

Bob , no it was detected with the 3500 and a 16 NF  SL at approx. 8-10 inches depth.
AT an area where it would be described as "Hot Rock Hell", as I led a group of meteorite hunters to the exact spot after the find and they began wondering "how" I was able to detect it in that field of volcanic hell.
They quickly decided it was much too "hot" an area for them to spend time in. 
Perseverance and becoming 1 with your machine will produce rewards for a person who is willing.
AND my fav all time quote :old::old::old::old:

• Like 2
  • well done 2

Morlock,

The Adamana is a beautiful stone. Said to be the nose cone of the Holbrook fall. Love those oriented looking meteorites.  Have you seen the beautiful oriented meteorite found a few years ago from a couple hiking around Baker California? It was loaned to UCLA meteorite gallery, dont know if its still there, but has nice flowlines...

Dave

Baker Oriented Meteorite.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • wow 1
On 11/9/2019 at 10:43 AM, DolanDave said:

Morlock,

The Adamana is a beautiful stone. Said to be the nose cone of the Holbrook fall. Love those oriented looking meteorites.  Have you seen the beautiful oriented meteorite found a few years ago from a couple hiking around Baker California? It was loaned to UCLA meteorite gallery, dont know if its still there, but has nice flowlines...

Dave

Baker Oriented Meteorite.jpg

I wasn't aware the Adamana was the nose cone of the Holbrook fall. Has that been proven?

Love the one found around Baker, CA. What's the name of it? Was that a single fall or were others found?

Years ago someone from Nevada posted a photo on this forum  of what everyone thought was a large oriented meteorite. Beautiful looking stone much like the Baker one.....only to find out it was a volcanic lava bomb. Hard to picture the circumstances in which that was formed.

• 3 months later...