Nugget Shooter Forums
Jake7291

In process of being tested

I'm going to post this boulder on this sub forum for now until I know for sure what it is.

This was pulled out of my field years ago by my grandparents.  It sat in a rock garden for years until this summer when I remade it.   This was originally covered with mud from sitting so long, it was nearly buried until I dug it out.  I cleaned it up after realizing it has a melted crust.   

This stone has its own pole when I take a compass to it.  It leaves no streak with a sample I took off.  Weighs about 130 pounds. Specific gravity of shell/crust sample is 2.77-3, adjusted for slight errors. 

The shell is very smooth in parts, and is fragile.  Any idea on what this mass is?  

IMG_20191101_114409.jpg

IMG_20191101_114459.jpg

IMG_20191101_114602.jpg

IMG_20191101_114610.jpg

IMG_20191101_114628.jpg

Looks like a large piece of "Unakite" the common name used for a pink (Feldspar) & green (Epidote) granite found in the southeastern mountains.  This piece appears to contain a fair bit of Magnetite and the photos seem to show a dark "glassy" mineral on the surface  I suspect is smoky quartz.  A very interesting rock to look at.  Here is a link to the wiki page for Unakite

33 minutes ago, 4meter said:

Looks like a large piece of "Unakite" the common name used for a pink (Feldspar) & green (Epidote) granite found in the southeastern mountains.  This piece appears to contain a fair bit of Magnetite and the photos seem to show a dark "glassy" mineral on the surface  I suspect is smoky quartz.  A very interesting rock to look at.  Here is a link to the wiki page for Unakite

Just curious, but where do you see pink or green in this stone? This stone is brown and black.

Your color photos clearly show shades of  green, pink (your brown?) and black.  The colors might be more apparent to the eye when the sample is wet and/or polished.

1 hour ago, 4meter said:

Your color photos clearly show shades of  green, pink (your brown?) and black.  The colors might be more apparent to the eye when the sample is wet and/or polished.

I don’t see anything that even resembles unakite. I see the same colors the OP has described. Looks like an oxide crust that has been chipped away in places to reveal a black/dark grey interior. 

I have no idea what it is at this point, but I think it’s safe to say it’s terrestrial in origin.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, d_day said:

I don’t see anything that even resembles unakite. I see the same colors the OP has described. Looks like an oxide crust that has been chipped away in places to reveal a black/dark grey interior. 

I have no idea what it is at this point, but I think it’s safe to say it’s terrestrial in origin.

Thank you, for a second I thought I was going color blind.  This stone is cleaned, I scrubbed the dirt off with tooth brush and vinegar. Then cleaned it with soap and warm water right after.

The shell is melted at  a majority of half the stone, very smooth with a few divots.  The shell is barely as thick as my fingernail.  The other side has the shell still, but it's too damaged by years of being in a field that is plowed annually.  

I originally thought the black was magnetite as well, but the streak test of a sample leaves nothing behind.