Nugget Shooter Forums
Jake7291

Repost for ID

I am reposting this stone I found in the field a while ago that is still yet to be identified.  Green round spots are all over the interior, with red round spots near the surface. No streak, guessing it's a type of quartz. When rubbed with mineral oil, the green spots closest to the surface leak?  They seem to stain the paper towel green. 

Will update with pictures of a slice with light under it.

IMG_20191031_085314.jpg

IMG_20191031_085242.jpg

IMG_20191031_085236.jpg

IMG_20191031_085220.jpg

13 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Leakerite?

...was that an attempt at a joke?

1 minute ago, Jake7291 said:

...was that an attempt at a joke?

Yes. We're you not titilated?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Yes. We're you not titilated?

Slightly, but I still kind of wanted real help with figuring it out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Then it is granite. 

You can be satisfied and amused at the same time now!

This doesn't seem like granite to me, the round spots aren't separate pieces they are a coloration or maybe some sort of mineral stain? Here is a slice with a 60x close up from my jewlers loupe.

IMG_20191031_105507.jpg

IMG_20191031_105501.jpg

IMG_20191031_104957.jpg

Well, if you want to call it something other than granite then that is fine with me.

Let me know what name you are satisfied with and I will change my vernacular to reflect the new naming conventions. Until then I will continue to use the term "granite" for this type of material.

• Like 1

Looks like some type of agate. There's probably thousands of different types worldwide and your specimen doesn't have enough characteristics to narrow it down to anything specific. Let's call it "generic agate".

• Like 2

I call cryptocrystalline silica that is translucent an agate. This specimen is obviously holocrystalline. That (in my book) makes it granitoid by definition.

But I am just getting my info from the internet. I really don't know much about rocks. It could be a loaf of bread and I couldn't tell it from a biscuit.

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I call cryptocrystalline silica that is translucent an agate. This specimen is obviously holocrystalline. That (in my book) makes it granitoid by definition.

But I am just getting my info from the internet. I really don't know much about rocks. It could be a loaf of bread and I couldn't tell it from a biscuit.

This stone is translucent, I can see my fingers on the other side of my slice, not just the shadow but skin color as well.  You looked at the close up photos right?  I shined a light under it.  I'm leaning towards agate as well, but I thought agates have bands.

36 minutes ago, Jake7291 said:

This stone is translucent, I can see my fingers on the other side of my slice, not just the shadow but skin color as well.  You looked at the close up photos right?  I shined a light under it.  I'm leaning towards agate as well, but I thought agates have bands.

From the internet..

"Agate is generally a banded material, and observing bands in a specimen of chalcedony is a very good clue that you have an agate. However, some agates do not have obvious bands. These are often translucent agates with plume-shaped, dendritic or mossy inclusions."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Morlock said:

From the internet..

"Agate is generally a banded material, and observing bands in a specimen of chalcedony is a very good clue that you have an agate. However, some agates do not have obvious bands. These are often translucent agates with plume-shaped, dendritic or mossy inclusions."

That seems like a match, thanks man!

Jake, you are going into the realm of optical mineralogy with that thin slice and tiny minerals.  That is far beyond the ability of a forum like this.  Your best bet is to take it to a university and hope a grad student is willing to help pay big bucks to a professional mineralogist.  Personally, I think calling the sample it Quartz is sufficient.

• Like 1

It might be an agate, but I think quartzite is more likely. There looks to be a grain tonight, which would rule out agate.

• Like 2