Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Lynx Creek

A buddy is a Boy Scout leader and his group wants to prospect over a weekend soon. I suggested they might try Lynx Creek. Is there camping allowed in the public area and if so, can I get a location and directions?

Go onto Google and type in:  Prescott National Forest camping,.......click on the first listing, which should provide you all info about camping around Lynx Creek.  Also, on the left side click on Rocks and Minerals, and then Gold Panning under that caption to give you info about that..   There is also Enchanted Forest Trail Campground ( on Corley Road) a few more miles down farther down Walker Road. I think that the camping there is free (???)  The road takes you down into Smith Ravine, which drains right into the Lynx Creek ( 34 deg  29' 43" N 112 deg 22' 39" W )   ..... this is a free panning area......Hope this helps.  Gary

• Like 2

If the campground at Lynx Lake has not closed for the season, please consider staying there vs. primitive/dispersed camping.

Edited by adam
  • Like 1

I did a Boy Scout camping trip where we took a trail from Mannie Mine Road(Bannie?), and hiked north to the campground, spent the night there, and went North along the trail to the edge of the Panning area.  With a walk around the reservoir, it came out to 10 miles total.  The elevation was a 1000 foot drop, so with the distance and the elevation change, it counted as one of the hikes for the hiking merit badge.

If you google the Prescott national forest, Lynch creek campground, you’ll get details on when the camp is open.

The kids found a little bit of color and had a good time.  We did this when the weather was warmer, I just can’t remember if it was late Spring or Early Fall.  Was 60’s in the day and mid 40s at night.

I agree with Adam to avoid dispersed camping along the creek.  I believe all the land North and SOuth of the panning area is private property, so its a no prospect area, no camping area.  For the free camping area by Mannie Mine road that allows dispersed camping, the couple times I’ve been there late at night too many people lighting up weed and drinking for me to take a group of scouts there.  We staid at the pay area in the withdrawal area.  It was about half way from beginning to end.  I made reservations for two sights online and I think I paid $10 per night. 

13 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I did a Boy Scout camping trip where we took a trail from Mannie Mine Road(Bannie?), and hiked north to the campground, spent the night there, and went North along the trail to the edge of the Panning area.  With a walk around the reservoir, it came out to 10 miles total.  The elevation was a 1000 foot drop, so with the distance and the elevation change, it counted as one of the hikes for the hiking merit badge.

If you google the Prescott national forest, Lynch creek campground, you’ll get details on when the camp is open.

The kids found a little bit of color and had a good time.  We did this when the weather was warmer, I just can’t remember if it was late Spring or Early Fall.  Was 60’s in the day and mid 40s at night.

I agree with Adam to avoid dispersed camping along the creek.  I believe all the land North and SOuth of the panning area is private property, so its a no prospect area, no camping area.  For the free camping area by Mannie Mine road that allows dispersed camping, the couple times I’ve been there late at night too many people lighting up weed and drinking for me to take a group of scouts there.  We staid at the pay area in the withdrawal area.  It was about half way from beginning to end.  I made reservations for two sights online and I think I paid $10 per night. 

Bannie