Nugget Shooter Forums

Posted in wrong forum please help ID πŸ˜€

I posted in two different forums and still no help with identification, where would be the correct place to post for helpful information then? What characteristics help you confirm that this stone is not meteoric?

Edited by MeteoJuice22
4 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

That would be the leavorite forumΒ :arrowheadsmiley:Mike C...:200:

Not everyone has the experience to identify their finds. Isn't one of the purposes of forums like this to assist beginners and spread knowledge. Why reply if you're not gonna help a kid out..Β 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MeteoJuice22 said:

Not everyone has the experience to identify their finds. Isn't one of the purposes of forums like this to assist beginners and spread knowledge. Why reply if you're not gonna help a kid out..Β 

Sorry didnt know you were a Kid soooooo if you look below the meteorite forum I believe that would be your best bet its called the rock and mineral forum-Im no rock GURU but I would say looks like some kind of flint or chert to me-Hope this helpsΒ :arrowheadsmiley:Β Mike C...:200:

• Thanks 1
On 10/28/2019 at 8:20 PM, MeteoJuice22 said:

If you click on the picture/hyperlink it will take you to my original post with multiple pictures and angles. Thank you

Your stone is not a meteorite. It is an iron rich silicate.Β 

The luster on the surface and in the window indicate a silicate rich stone. Rocks have to be a certain hardness to burnish and this one is burnished well. Iron and silica make very durable minerals. So based on appearance and streak I would say it is an iron rich silica mineral.Β 

It looks nothing like a meteorite. But you did notice the burnished surface. So you are noticing the right stuff.

The weak magnetism means iron. They sub metallic grey in the window you filed is iron oxides. That is earthly iron. Meteoritic iron is shiny and looks like steel.

The streak will be light grey on a dark streak surface. It may be almost white because of the silica content. But if it is magnetic you should be able to discern a red or grey hue in the streak. Sometimes this is impossible and some people don't see colors the same as most. So minerals like these take some experience.

Meteorites have fusion crust, a matrix on the inside that contains chondrules and flecks of free metallic iron. They often have a shape that was altered by the forces of entering our atmosphere.Β 

Being able to recognize these features is a discipline that takes a lot of time and experience. Start by looking at a thousand photographs of Museum meteorites. Browse these forums and look at the ones these guys find in the field. Go and see meteorites in museums and shops. Hold and feel them.Β 

Then study earthly rocks. Know how to identify basic minerals and rocks. You did the streak test and recognized weak magnetism. You have a difficult specimen to identify by streak. You just need a little more experience with that test to be able to interpret it correctly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A basic field geology class would give you hands-on and field experience. If you live where the various glaciers came and went you will find all kinds of stuff....maybe a diamond?

there are many older posts and references around here...

seek and you will learn

fred

• Thanks 1

Thanks Fred! It turns out the Theresa diamond was found on a glacier erratic ice age trail just miles from my home! I've tried but no diamonds yet. Thanks for the tips :) Ill keep learning

• Like 2