Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BMc

What The Heck Is This? Pet Rock(s)? (wood?)

Recommended Posts

At first glance, they appeared to possibly be petrified bone: They are very hard and heavy. The large pieces are about 12" long and the wider object has smooth open ends but no porous surface like bone is supposed to have. Nor do they appear to be petrified wood (IMO) Could they just be Rocks that were buried in the sediment at the bottom of the ocean? They were found in the desert mountains of So. NM.

Any guesses or opinions?

ROCK-1.PNG

ROCK-2.PNG

ROCK-3.PNG

ROCK-4.PNG

ROCK - 5.JPG

ROCK - 6.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pics make it look like wood.  Possibly from a hollowed out tree.  Even looks like there's an insect hole in it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's petrified wood but unable to determine the species. Nice specimens.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Petrified wood. Looks similar to what we find here in one of our spots we have. Yet to determine what kind though. Nice finds!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it did it again and i dont know why. Skip you can delete one if you want. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pet wood. Nice ones too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BMc said:

At first glance, they appeared to possibly be petrified bone: They are very hard and heavy. The large pieces are about 12" long and the wider object has smooth open ends but no porous surface like bone is supposed to have. Nor do they appear to be petrified wood (IMO) Could they just be Rocks that were buried in the sediment at the bottom of the ocean? They were found in the desert mountains of So. NM.

Any guesses or opinions?

ROCK-1.PNG

ROCK-2.PNG

ROCK-3.PNG

ROCK-4.PNG

ROCK - 5.JPG

ROCK - 6.JPG

I agree petrified wood, it can't be Pet Rocks, none have collars on!

2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Well it did it again and i dont know why. Skip you can delete one if you want. Thanks

Dan, I think you sometimes you just have fat fingers and can't get them off the submit button! LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

I agree petrified wood, it can't be Pet Rocks, none have collars on!

Dan, I think you sometimes you just have fat fingers and can't get them off the submit button! LOL

Haha i made sure i hit it one time. But i also had bad service so that might have been an issue also.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Petrified wood. Looks similar to what we find here in one of our spots we have. Yet to determine what kind though. Nice finds!!

Most of the petrified wood I found at you know where was either reddish or bluish in color. Bluish wood was rare though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BMc said:

At first glance, they appeared to possibly be petrified bone: They are very hard and heavy. The large pieces are about 12" long and the wider object has smooth open ends but no porous surface like bone is supposed to have. Nor do they appear to be petrified wood (IMO) Could they just be Rocks that were buried in the sediment at the bottom of the ocean? They were found in the desert mountains of So. NM.

Any guesses or opinions?

ROCK-1.PNG

ROCK-2.PNG

ROCK-3.PNG

ROCK-4.PNG

ROCK - 5.JPG

ROCK - 6.JPG

Looks like the wood we find up in Virgin Valley hunting for opal. In that area we have been told by the guys running the mines that this is premineralized wood and not fully petrified yet. If your near a volcanic area could be some opal under your feet. Nice find. 

ht

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morlock said:

Most of the petrified wood I found at you know where was either reddish or bluish in color. Bluish wood was rare though.

The blue is amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, nugget108 said:

The blue is amazing!

Would you happen to know anyone that has some large pieces?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang you asked me before and until this thread popped up, i totally forgot. I will ask my father inlaw. He has huge peices. Mine are all softball size and down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...