Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BMc

What The Heck Is This? Pet Rock(s)? (wood?)

At first glance, they appeared to possibly be petrified bone: They are very hard and heavy. The large pieces are about 12" long and the wider object has smooth open ends but no porous surface like bone is supposed to have. Nor do they appear to be petrified wood (IMO) Could they just be Rocks that were buried in the sediment at the bottom of the ocean? They were found in the desert mountains of So. NM.

Any guesses or opinions?

ROCK-1.PNG

ROCK-2.PNG

ROCK-3.PNG

ROCK-4.PNG

ROCK - 5.JPG

ROCK - 6.JPG

Pics make it look like wood.  Possibly from a hollowed out tree.  Even looks like there's an insect hole in it.

• Like 1

It's petrified wood but unable to determine the species. Nice specimens.

• Like 2

Petrified wood. Looks similar to what we find here in one of our spots we have. Yet to determine what kind though. Nice finds!!

• Like 1

Well it did it again and i dont know why. Skip you can delete one if you want. Thanks

Pet wood. Nice ones too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BMc said:

At first glance, they appeared to possibly be petrified bone: They are very hard and heavy. The large pieces are about 12" long and the wider object has smooth open ends but no porous surface like bone is supposed to have. Nor do they appear to be petrified wood (IMO) Could they just be Rocks that were buried in the sediment at the bottom of the ocean? They were found in the desert mountains of So. NM.

Any guesses or opinions?

ROCK-1.PNG

ROCK-2.PNG

ROCK-3.PNG

ROCK-4.PNG

ROCK - 5.JPG

ROCK - 6.JPG

I agree petrified wood, it can't be Pet Rocks, none have collars on!

2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Well it did it again and i dont know why. Skip you can delete one if you want. Thanks

Dan, I think you sometimes you just have fat fingers and can't get them off the submit button! LOL

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

I agree petrified wood, it can't be Pet Rocks, none have collars on!

Dan, I think you sometimes you just have fat fingers and can't get them off the submit button! LOL

Haha i made sure i hit it one time. But i also had bad service so that might have been an issue also.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Petrified wood. Looks similar to what we find here in one of our spots we have. Yet to determine what kind though. Nice finds!!

Most of the petrified wood I found at you know where was either reddish or bluish in color. Bluish wood was rare though.

17 hours ago, BMc said:

Any guesses or opinions?

ROCK-1.PNG

ROCK-2.PNG

ROCK-3.PNG

ROCK-4.PNG

ROCK - 5.JPG

ROCK - 6.JPG

Looks like the wood we find up in Virgin Valley hunting for opal. In that area we have been told by the guys running the mines that this is premineralized wood and not fully petrified yet. If your near a volcanic area could be some opal under your feet. Nice find. 

ht

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

Most of the petrified wood I found at you know where was either reddish or bluish in color. Bluish wood was rare though.

The blue is amazing!

23 hours ago, nugget108 said:

The blue is amazing!

Would you happen to know anyone that has some large pieces?

Dang you asked me before and until this thread popped up, i totally forgot. I will ask my father inlaw. He has huge peices. Mine are all softball size and down.