Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
ndg

Does anyone know what this is?

Recommended Posts

Hello,

Found this in southern lower Michigan.  The color is more hot pink than the picture shows.  Any info will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

pink rock.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A rock with hot pink survey paint sprayed on it.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • well done 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, adam said:

A rock with hot pink survey paint sprayed on it.

I never would have thought of that either! I would have been amazed at the beautiful pink nature could produce LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be serious with my comment because I'm going to give you credit for knowing if it was spray paint or not.

I'm sorry i can't help you id the rock as I haven't the  expertise and knowledge of those whom so far have kindly responded so kindly :~{{

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cheshirecat said:

I never would have thought of that either! I would have been amazed at the beautiful pink nature could produce LOL

Are you being serious or laughing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, adam said:

A rock with hot pink survey paint sprayed on it.

 

21 hours ago, adam said:

A rock with hot pink survey paint sprayed on it.

Are you quite certain?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sonja said:

 

Are you quite certain?

 

No , not quite certain.  But bright pink minerals similar to that color are not all that common.  Cobaltoan ? calcite, Smithsonite, fluorite, Rhodo , all come to mind but I have doubts. 

Edited by adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sonja, It does look like paint... my:inocent: was an attempt at😆 It should be quite thin and easily scratch off.

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adam said:

No , not quite certain.  But bright pink minerals similar to that color are not all that common.  Cobaltoan ? calcite, Smithsonite, fluorite, Rhodo , all come to mind but I have doubts. 

And sometimes even cinnabar is that color. And of course there’s the other rhodo, rhodonite.

i think though that if this is not paint, it’s most likely rhodochrosite.

Edited by d_day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no expert on rocks but I have laid miles of spray paint down locating underground cables for 25 years.  It sure looks like spray to me with the rough spots peaking through and the pooling in the valleys.  See if it scratches off easily.  

   Old Tom 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sonja said:

Are you being serious or laughing?

Very serious! I would never have thought "paint". Maybe there are rocks that colour pink but I know very little about rocks. Seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put a little nail polish remover on a spot and let it soak then rub it with a Q-tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2019 at 6:41 PM, ndg said:

Hello,

Found this in southern lower Michigan.  The color is more hot pink than the picture shows.  Any info will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

pink rock.jpg

Can you be more specific as to where it was found? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For reference I took some pink traffic paint and sprayed this gray rock. Then I rolled it around in some dirt. 

20191021_105828.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, adam said:

For reference I took some pink traffic paint and sprayed this gray rock. Then I rolled it around in some dirt. 

 

I've never heard of or seen pink spray paint being used for traffic purposes. Whose brilliant idea was that? Your very famous Joe Arpaio?:rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking either paint or chalk.  The rock looks to be  limestone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 11:27 AM, Morlock said:

I've never heard of or seen pink spray paint being used for traffic purposes

Typically used as a " temporary Survey " 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I want to say You have a Lovely Turtle fossil with what probably is not paint but mineral like someone suggested. I have just realized this early morning the copper ore "rock" (I found  35 years ago) and it is a turtle foot fossil. it is pretty with blues and greens. I found it in a barrel of like copper ore rocks, on top of a mountain over looking the Kotsina River. Darn it, the exBF, still in Alaska has the bulk of them. I realized what it was as I was studying my turtle fossils I find here and noticed the same claw shapes in the tiny "rocks" fossils. They look like boring rocks unless you look closer.

the brown rock is also a turtle foot fossil. LOL found it at the grocery store here in the decorative rock bed. Its loaded with roundish pretty smooth egg fossils but there are all kinds of fossils here naturally in the low country of coastal GA. LOL the only rocks here are fossils.

I have a lot more cute fossilised baby turtle feet. oh boy variety galore lol

20191116_192843_resized.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TybeeJill said:

Hello,

I want to say You have a Lovely Turtle fossil with what probably is not paint but mineral like someone suggested. I have just realized this early morning the copper ore "rock" (I found  35 years ago) and it is a turtle foot fossil. it is pretty with blues and greens. I found it in a barrel of like copper ore rocks, on top of a mountain over looking the Kotsina River. Darn it, the exBF, still in Alaska has the bulk of them. I realized what it was as I was studying my turtle fossils I find here and noticed the same claw shapes in the tiny "rocks" fossils. They look like boring rocks unless you look closer.

the brown rock is also a turtle foot fossil. LOL found it at the grocery store here in the decorative rock bed. Its loaded with roundish pretty smooth egg fossils but there are all kinds of fossils here naturally in the low country of coastal GA. LOL the only rocks here are fossils.

I have a lot more cute fossilised baby turtle feet. oh boy variety galore lol

20191116_192843_resized.jpg

I see absolutely nothing that indicates any fossilization in either specimen much less a turtle foot fossil. 

I do see some minor copper mineralization on quartz... perhaps malachite on the specimen to the right. Not sure on the one to the left.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one on the right is definitely crystalline quartz and not agate or opal. Fossils are agate opal or replacement oxides of iron.

So there is that. 

I don't see anything that resembles a fossil nor a turtle foot. :idunno:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 7:43 AM, Morlock said:

I see absolutely nothing that indicates any fossilization in either specimen much less a turtle foot fossil. 

I do see some minor copper mineralization on quartz... perhaps malachite on the specimen to the right. Not sure on the one to the left.

My bad, it is the edge of the turtle shell, not a foot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...