Nugget Shooter Forums
ndg

Does anyone know what this is?

Hello,

Found this in southern lower Michigan.  The color is more hot pink than the picture shows.  Any info will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

pink rock.jpg

A rock with hot pink survey paint sprayed on it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • well done 1

8 hours ago, adam said:

I never would have thought of that either! I would have been amazed at the beautiful pink nature could produce LOL

I'll be serious with my comment because I'm going to give you credit for knowing if it was spray paint or not.

I'm sorry i can't help you id the rock as I haven't the  expertise and knowledge of those whom so far have kindly responded so kindly :~{{

12 hours ago, Cheshirecat said:

I never would have thought of that either! I would have been amazed at the beautiful pink nature could produce LOL

Are you being serious or laughing?

21 hours ago, adam said:

21 hours ago, adam said:

Are you quite certain?

1 hour ago, Sonja said:

Are you quite certain?

No , not quite certain.  But bright pink minerals similar to that color are not all that common.  Cobaltoan ? calcite, Smithsonite, fluorite, Rhodo , all come to mind but I have doubts. 

Edited by adam

Sonja, It does look like paint... my:inocent: was an attempt at😆 It should be quite thin and easily scratch off.

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli

1 hour ago, adam said:

No , not quite certain.  But bright pink minerals similar to that color are not all that common.  Cobaltoan ? calcite, Smithsonite, fluorite, Rhodo , all come to mind but I have doubts. 

And sometimes even cinnabar is that color. And of course there’s the other rhodo, rhodonite.

i think though that if this is not paint, it’s most likely rhodochrosite.

Edited by d_day

I'm no expert on rocks but I have laid miles of spray paint down locating underground cables for 25 years.  It sure looks like spray to me with the rough spots peaking through and the pooling in the valleys.  See if it scratches off easily.  

Old Tom 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sonja said:

Are you being serious or laughing?

Very serious! I would never have thought "paint". Maybe there are rocks that colour pink but I know very little about rocks. Seriously.

Put a little nail polish remover on a spot and let it soak then rub it with a Q-tip.

On 10/19/2019 at 6:41 PM, ndg said:

Hello,

Found this in southern lower Michigan.  The color is more hot pink than the picture shows.  Any info will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

pink rock.jpg

Can you be more specific as to where it was found? 

For reference I took some pink traffic paint and sprayed this gray rock. Then I rolled it around in some dirt. 

20191021_105828.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, adam said:

For reference I took some pink traffic paint and sprayed this gray rock. Then I rolled it around in some dirt. 

I've never heard of or seen pink spray paint being used for traffic purposes. Whose brilliant idea was that? Your very famous Joe Arpaio?:rolleyes:

I was thinking either paint or chalk.  The rock looks to be  limestone.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:27 AM, Morlock said:

I've never heard of or seen pink spray paint being used for traffic purposes

Typically used as a " temporary Survey " 

Hello,

I want to say You have a Lovely Turtle fossil with what probably is not paint but mineral like someone suggested. I have just realized this early morning the copper ore "rock" (I found  35 years ago) and it is a turtle foot fossil. it is pretty with blues and greens. I found it in a barrel of like copper ore rocks, on top of a mountain over looking the Kotsina River. Darn it, the exBF, still in Alaska has the bulk of them. I realized what it was as I was studying my turtle fossils I find here and noticed the same claw shapes in the tiny "rocks" fossils. They look like boring rocks unless you look closer.

the brown rock is also a turtle foot fossil. LOL found it at the grocery store here in the decorative rock bed. Its loaded with roundish pretty smooth egg fossils but there are all kinds of fossils here naturally in the low country of coastal GA. LOL the only rocks here are fossils.

I have a lot more cute fossilised baby turtle feet. oh boy variety galore lol

20191116_192843_resized.jpg

12 hours ago, TybeeJill said:

Hello,

I want to say You have a Lovely Turtle fossil with what probably is not paint but mineral like someone suggested. I have just realized this early morning the copper ore "rock" (I found  35 years ago) and it is a turtle foot fossil. it is pretty with blues and greens. I found it in a barrel of like copper ore rocks, on top of a mountain over looking the Kotsina River. Darn it, the exBF, still in Alaska has the bulk of them. I realized what it was as I was studying my turtle fossils I find here and noticed the same claw shapes in the tiny "rocks" fossils. They look like boring rocks unless you look closer.

the brown rock is also a turtle foot fossil. LOL found it at the grocery store here in the decorative rock bed. Its loaded with roundish pretty smooth egg fossils but there are all kinds of fossils here naturally in the low country of coastal GA. LOL the only rocks here are fossils.

I have a lot more cute fossilised baby turtle feet. oh boy variety galore lol

20191116_192843_resized.jpg

I see absolutely nothing that indicates any fossilization in either specimen much less a turtle foot fossil. 

I do see some minor copper mineralization on quartz... perhaps malachite on the specimen to the right. Not sure on the one to the left.

• Like 2

The one on the right is definitely crystalline quartz and not agate or opal. Fossils are agate opal or replacement oxides of iron.

So there is that. 

I don't see anything that resembles a fossil nor a turtle foot. :idunno:

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 7:43 AM, Morlock said:

I see absolutely nothing that indicates any fossilization in either specimen much less a turtle foot fossil. 

I do see some minor copper mineralization on quartz... perhaps malachite on the specimen to the right. Not sure on the one to the left.

My bad, it is the edge of the turtle shell, not a foot