Nugget Shooter Forums
Jake7291

Possible meteorite with metal flakes

I was walking one of my fields today with a cheap metal detector I picked up.  I found these two stones, placed about 50 yards from one another.  I chipped a piece off one, and there was a pretty good sized silver flake in it.  Could this be a meteorite?  I haven't touched the flat one yet, it does have a crack through a portion of it, last two pics

IMG_20191013_122906.jpg

IMG_20191013_122917.jpg

IMG_20191013_122925.jpg

IMG_20191013_122933.jpg

IMG_20191013_122950.jpg

IMG_20191013_123011.jpg

IMG_20191013_123027.jpg

Nope.

Jake,

No characteristics of a meteorite.

There are billions of magnetic rocks in the US, none of which are meteorites. Anyone can find magnetic earth stones nearly everywhere. Just take a strong magnet and drop into sand and you will see what I mean. Check our O Richard Norton’s, “Rocks from Space” or visit the ASU Meteorite Center.

billepeters

57 minutes ago, billpeters said:

Jake,

No characteristics of a meteorite.

There are billions of magnetic rocks in the US, none of which are meteorites. Anyone can find magnetic earth stones nearly everywhere. Just take a strong magnet and drop into sand and you will see what I mean. Check our O Richard Norton’s, “Rocks from Space” or visit the ASU Meteorite Center.

billepeters

So the metallic silver is nothing?

I can't see metallic flakes in the pics.  To me, I see small white quartz.  Perhaps a close up would help.  Does the silver flake crumble or flake when pressed with a pin? If so, that points towards Mica, and not metal.

Not a meteorite guy, and I've only been to one ASU meteor showing, but what struck me about their confirmed finds was how thin the fusion crust was.  The Glendale meteor had a paper thin fusion crust.  The photo you have makes your crust look much too thick.  

41 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I can't see metallic flakes in the pics.  To me, I see small white quartz.  Perhaps a close up would help.  Does the silver flake crumble or flake when pressed with a pin? If so, that points towards Mica, and not metal.

Not a meteorite guy, and I've only been to one ASU meteor showing, but what struck me about their confirmed finds was how thin the fusion crust was.  The Glendale meteor had a paper thin fusion crust.  The photo you have makes your crust look much too thick.  

It does not flake or chip off when I use a thumb tack, sorry for the bad close up of the metal flake, my led on the Jewelers loupe makes a bright glare on pictures.

IMG_20191017_152648.jpg

IMG_20191017_152622.jpg

There's so many things the metal flakes could be besides metal.  The easiest to eliminate is mica. I don't see metal in the pic.  Native metals are very rare in rocks, mostly because they react over the years and turn into compounds.  Billpeters is a good authority, and he says no characteristics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1