Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BMc

You Never Know What You Might Find Next!

I happened to run across a news article from the '50s that mentioned a remote picnic site that was popular for weekend and holiday gatherings. A faded black and white photograph showed several concrete tables, benches, and stone bar-b-que pits on a secluded hilltop outside of town. I couldn't find anything else to go on and everyone I talked to had never heard of it, so I explored the back-roads until I located it by a process of elimination. There was nothing left of the concrete and stone that was functionally intact, and the (4x4 only), inaccessibility of the rocky washed out road made the location an ideal lover's lane, beer drinking - high school hideaway. After several trips to the site and a modest clean-up effort, I managed to unearth a few nice surprises: Wheaties, rosies, jeffersons, one buffalo/Indian head, a girls10k gold ring with a tiny "diamond" setting, and a singed 1961 Ben Franklin half dollar. The biggest surprise though, was the improvised "black-jack" made from a gym sock filled with (217) clad pennies, hidden under a pile of rocks.

That's what makes detecting so head shaking interesting. You just never know what you might find next!

PicNic site.JPG

CAMPFIRE.PNG

TABLE-2.PNG

DSCN0711.JPG

DSCN0710.JPG

COINS-1.PNG

COINS-2.PNG

SOCK-1.PNG

SOCK-2.PNG

SOCK-3.PNG

• Like 5
  • well done 2

Great find!

• Like 1

Back in the late 40's early 50's , a sock with sand in it would put an end to a big bully in no time. Not an admission on my part !

• Haha 3

Ahhh..... the memories.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jrdemaris said:

Back in the late 40's early 50's , a sock with sand in it would put an end to a big bully in no time. Not an admission on my part !

Don't worry jr, the statute of limitations has long since run out (unless the guy died), and that warrant for your arrest is probably no longer in the computer system :)

I plead self defense.....Actually, when we would meet later he called me the socker!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 7:06 AM, Edge said:

Great find!

Beats being the sockee every time!