Nugget Shooter Forums

You Never Know What You Might Find Next!

I happened to run across a news article from the '50s that mentioned a remote picnic site that was popular for weekend and holiday gatherings. A faded black and white photograph showed several concrete tables, benches, and stone bar-b-que pits on a secluded hilltop outside of town. I couldn't find anything else to go on and everyone I talked to had never heard of it, so I explored the back-roads until I located it by a process of elimination. There was nothing left of the concrete and stone that was functionally intact, and the (4x4 only), inaccessibility of the rocky washed out road made the location an ideal lover's lane, beer drinking - high school hideaway. After several trips to the site and a modest clean-up effort, I managed to unearth a few nice surprises: Wheaties, rosies, jeffersons, one buffalo/Indian head, a girls10k gold ring with a tiny "diamond" setting, and a singed 1961 Ben Franklin half dollar. The biggest surprise though, was the improvised "black-jack" made from a gym sock filled with (217) clad pennies, hidden under a pile of rocks.

That's what makes detecting so head shaking interesting. You just never know what you might find next!

PicNic site.JPG

CAMPFIRE.PNG

TABLE-2.PNG

DSCN0711.JPG

DSCN0710.JPG

COINS-1.PNG

COINS-2.PNG

SOCK-1.PNG

SOCK-2.PNG

SOCK-3.PNG

• Like 9
  • well done 4
20 hours ago, jrdemaris said:

Back in the late 40's early 50's , a sock with sand in it would put an end to a big bully in no time. Not an admission on my part !

Don't worry jr, the statute of limitations has long since run out (unless the guy died), and that warrant for your arrest is probably no longer in the computer system :)

On 10/10/2019 at 7:06 AM, Edge said:

Great find!

Beats being the sockee every time!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 10/9/2019 at 5:09 PM, BMc said:

I happened to run across a news article from the '50s that mentioned a remote picnic site that was popular for weekend and holiday gatherings. A faded black and white photograph showed several concrete tables, benches, and stone bar-b-que pits on a secluded hilltop outside of town. I couldn't find anything else to go on and everyone I talked to had never heard of it, so I explored the back-roads until I located it by a process of elimination. There was nothing left of the concrete and stone that was functionally intact, and the (4x4 only), inaccessibility of the rocky washed out road made the location an ideal lover's lane, beer drinking - high school hideaway. After several trips to the site and a modest clean-up effort, I managed to unearth a few nice surprises: Wheaties, rosies, jeffersons, one buffalo/Indian head, a girls10k gold ring with a tiny "diamond" setting, and a singed 1961 Ben Franklin half dollar. The biggest surprise though, was the improvised "black-jack" made from a gym sock filled with (217) clad pennies, hidden under a pile of rocks.

That's what makes detecting so head shaking interesting. You just never know what you might find next!

PicNic site.JPG

CAMPFIRE.PNG

TABLE-2.PNG

DSCN0711.JPG

DSCN0710.JPG

COINS-1.PNG

COINS-2.PNG

SOCK-1.PNG

SOCK-2.PNG

SOCK-3.PNG

COIN SHOOTING!! (Literally) 

After another magnetic surface cleanup and raking/scraping, dozens of bottle caps, rusty nails, and brass 22. casings; (and digging lead bullets), The old Picnic Site gave up another interesting find. A 1961 Washington Quarter with a .22 cal. bullet hole. Both the quarter and the half dollar found previously showed signs of having been burned/blackened in one of the several fire pits at the site. Strange . . . :idunno:

DSCN0756.JPG

DSCN0757.JPG

• Like 5
  • well done 1
  • 2 months later...

Now that is what I call doing due diligence  research ! If everyone was this through it wouldn't leave anything for the slackers!

Well Done !

• Like 1

Tom H. I am afraid that my Baja and  other digging days are over unless I could figure out how to get one  one of those 4X4 wheel chairs at about 15 grand, Grubstake and I where talking about a drone and a "Alexa" vacuum cleaner ., but a drone that will lift 100 LBS is about 15 grand ! I was actually on a MD club outing down south of Arivaca ,AZ when one of the members had a drone with a camera and flew it straight down an old vertical  mine shaft that had been rumored to have bodies at the bottom of it , this was right on the border with Mexico.  He had no problem flying it down and we had a clear view on his laptop , nothing on the bottom but a broken shovel. But his drone could only lift  1 LB. I did not have a drone but my claim had a horizontal tunnel on it so I talked Stan into going into it and checking it out, it was supposed to have the gold vein exposed on the back wall , I was recovering from a hip replacement and was still on crutches.  Well  he took a good flash light and headed in , it had flowing water so he was taking his time. A few minutes later he came back out some what faster than when he went in. Well I asked what did you find ? A  Mama Javalina  with 4 babies he said, she can have any gold back in there! :yikes::laught16:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
On 6/3/2020 at 2:38 PM, TomH said:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the tip! Actually, I did look at that magnetic sweeper and a couple of others before I found the picnic site and since I already had the basic component parts on hand, decided to cobble one together myself. I used an industrial strength bar magnet that does a good job of sucking up bottle caps, nails, rusty metal debris etc. It doesn't have a release mechanism other than manually scraping stuff off, but that's not hard to do and it's narrow enough to get into tight spots between rocks.

DSCN0768[1].JPG

DSCN0767[1].JPG

DSCN0769[1].JPG

DSCN0770[1].JPG

DSCN0771[1].JPG

• Like 3

If you cut that lid so it fits under your magnets, it might be 'as easy' as pulling it off when you want to lose the iron bits.  Or not.

Nice job on the contraption.  :thumbsupanim

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

If you cut that lid so it fits under your magnets, it might be 'as easy' as pulling it off when you want to lose the iron bits.  Or not.

Nice job on the contraption.  :thumbsupanim

Exactly what I was thinking. Just like a coil cover. 

I have a little plastic plumbing plug that slips over my pole magnet. Just pull it off and the magnet is clean. It keeps all the fine black sand from loading up.

• Like 3

NIce job! Go find some stuff now. :)
Tom H.

• Like 2