Nugget Shooter Forums

Forest Service Road Usage

chrisski

What else can I do short of calling the forest ranger up to determine road usage?  After driving hours once to be met by a road closed sign, I've been much more cautious.

Planning a trip IVO Payson along FR 300 South of Route 87.  Forest service website seems like its open, but google maps shows a closed gate.

I'm planning a trip to the Coconino Forest in AZ, but saw on Google that a road is closed to motrized traffic with a locked gate, despite being marked as open to all motorized registered vehicles on the Coconino Motorized Vehicle Use Map.  When I go to:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/coconino/alerts-notices

I find it highlighted in Blue, and when I read the restrictions, it seems open:

"The following acts are prohibited on the area, roads, and trails in this area:

(1) Possess or use any type of motorized vehicle off forest developed road.

(2) Using any type of motorized vehicle on forest developed roads designated restricted."

This forest service link lists the road as open: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5341627

Sorry for the long winded post. I'm finding other cases where the forest service website states roads are closed during the winter, such as the lava cave, but the links I show above, show them designated open year round.