Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NvAuMiner

Bullet ID

Recommended Posts

Had a fun out in the hills today :black_knight_standing:  Found a 1.2 dwt nug :thumbsupanim and a loaded bullet.  The bullet has me stumped though.  It is larger than a .357 and smaller than a .44mag.  It is a Rim-Fire cartridge and where the primer would be ... it is stamped US.  Looks really old too.  Anybody have any ideas of what it is??  Thnx

I know, I know... A picture says a thousands words, but my camera took a dump or went on vacation... Probably in all likelihood it is operator error.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, NvAuMiner said:

Had a fun out in the hills today :black_knight_standing:  Found a 1.2 dwt nug :thumbsupanim and a loaded bullet.  The bullet has me stumped though.  It is larger than a .357 and smaller than a .44mag.  It is a Rim-Fire cartridge and where the primer would be ... it is stamped US.  Looks really old too.  Anybody have any ideas of what it is??  Thnx

I know, I know... A picture says a thousands words, but my camera took a dump or went on vacation... Probably in all likelihood it is operator error.

To properly ID the cartridge you would need more exact measurements, you would need a caliper to determine the caliber, also need a measurement of the case and overall length.

The "US" head stamp is from the "United States Cartridge Company".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_headstamps#US_arsenals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Cartridge_Company

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks Skip.  Could you tell I waz a little tired when I posted this.  I should of been able to figure that out...  lol  :nutty:   Looks to be a .30 cal bullet w/overall length of 1.375"

Thanks... I do some research in the morning.

Doug

 

Couldn't sleep until I found out what I have.. I believe it to be this > http://www.ammo-one.com/30RimfireLong.html 

 

Edited by NvAuMiner
research
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Doug, just seen this. Been deer hunting for my daughter since Friday so i haven't had network. Great job on the chunk of gold and let us know what your mystery bullet turns out to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dan,

The bullet is a Rim-fire .30 cal long made by the United States Cartridge Company between 1869 to 1875.  So it is least 144 years old. 

The nugget was a sweet surprise.  I grided the immediate area and it was a loaner.  I'll have to expand out some and see if he had some buddies so I can re-unite them.

Good luck on getting on a deer for your daughter. The temp is going to really drop, maybe that will get things going.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess i could have clicked on the link you posted haha. Cool find for sure, i know we have found a few up here in our relic/gold area. Get a pic of your chunker when you can and good job hunting it down. I keep forgetting to mail that arm to ya. Too much going on i guess. Deer season will hopefully be over this coming weekend haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 7:14 PM, nugget108 said:

I guess i could have clicked on the link you posted haha. Cool find for sure, i know we have found a few up here in our relic/gold area. Get a pic of your chunker when you can and good job hunting it down. I keep forgetting to mail that arm to ya. Too much going on i guess. Deer season will hopefully be over this coming weekend haha.

Well I still suck at taking sharp photo's even if I take them from farther away and then crop-em .  None-the-less... here's the 1.2 pennyweight nug I found before the bullet.

 

IMG_2645 (3).JPG

  • Like 1
  • well done 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NvAuMiner said:

Well I still suck at taking sharp photo's even if I take them from farther away and then crop-em .  None-the-less... here's the 1.2 pennyweight nug I found before the bullet.

 

IMG_2645 (3).JPG

Welcome to the club.:rolleyes:

Nice find by the way.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice chunkster Doug! It has brothers and sisters there close. Great find.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Nice chunkster Doug! It has brothers and sisters there close. Great find.

Today I walked until my tail was draggin and the brotha -n- sista didn't happen.  But the bird shot, bullet fragments, wire and bullets kept me busy.  You would think a 1.2dwt had a few friends.  :idunno:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, nugget108 said:

Nice chunkster Doug! It has brothers and sisters there close. Great find.

You were right Dan!!  It took a bit of walking over an area that I already checked and found a brotha -n- sista....  another 1.2 and a .2 dwt.  I guess I better tighten up my swings a little more.

 

IMG_2647.JPG

  • Like 2
  • well done 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoop whoop!! Awesome Doug!! Time to start griding heavily before the snow sets in.

Good job bud.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...