Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NvAuMiner

Bullet ID

Had a fun out in the hills today :black_knight_standing:  Found a 1.2 dwt nug :thumbsupanim and a loaded bullet.  The bullet has me stumped though.  It is larger than a .357 and smaller than a .44mag.  It is a Rim-Fire cartridge and where the primer would be ... it is stamped US.  Looks really old too.  Anybody have any ideas of what it is??  Thnx

I know, I know... A picture says a thousands words, but my camera took a dump or went on vacation... Probably in all likelihood it is operator error.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, NvAuMiner said:

Had a fun out in the hills today :black_knight_standing:  Found a 1.2 dwt nug :thumbsupanim and a loaded bullet.  The bullet has me stumped though.  It is larger than a .357 and smaller than a .44mag.  It is a Rim-Fire cartridge and where the primer would be ... it is stamped US.  Looks really old too.  Anybody have any ideas of what it is??  Thnx

I know, I know... A picture says a thousands words, but my camera took a dump or went on vacation... Probably in all likelihood it is operator error.

To properly ID the cartridge you would need more exact measurements, you would need a caliper to determine the caliber, also need a measurement of the case and overall length.

The "US" head stamp is from the "United States Cartridge Company".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_headstamps#US_arsenals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Cartridge_Company

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Skip.  Could you tell I waz a little tired when I posted this.  I should of been able to figure that out...  lol  :nutty:   Looks to be a .30 cal bullet w/overall length of 1.375"

Thanks... I do some research in the morning.

Doug

Couldn't sleep until I found out what I have.. I believe it to be this > http://www.ammo-one.com/30RimfireLong.html 

Edited by NvAuMiner
research
  • Like 2

Hey Doug, just seen this. Been deer hunting for my daughter since Friday so i haven't had network. Great job on the chunk of gold and let us know what your mystery bullet turns out to be. 

Hi Dan,

The bullet is a Rim-fire .30 cal long made by the United States Cartridge Company between 1869 to 1875.  So it is least 144 years old. 

The nugget was a sweet surprise.  I grided the immediate area and it was a loaner.  I'll have to expand out some and see if he had some buddies so I can re-unite them.

Good luck on getting on a deer for your daughter. The temp is going to really drop, maybe that will get things going.

• Like 4

I guess i could have clicked on the link you posted haha. Cool find for sure, i know we have found a few up here in our relic/gold area. Get a pic of your chunker when you can and good job hunting it down. I keep forgetting to mail that arm to ya. Too much going on i guess. Deer season will hopefully be over this coming weekend haha.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:14 PM, nugget108 said:

I guess i could have clicked on the link you posted haha. Cool find for sure, i know we have found a few up here in our relic/gold area. Get a pic of your chunker when you can and good job hunting it down. I keep forgetting to mail that arm to ya. Too much going on i guess. Deer season will hopefully be over this coming weekend haha.

Well I still suck at taking sharp photo's even if I take them from farther away and then crop-em .  None-the-less... here's the 1.2 pennyweight nug I found before the bullet.

IMG_2645 (3).JPG

• Like 1
  • well done 2

8 hours ago, NvAuMiner said:

Well I still suck at taking sharp photo's even if I take them from farther away and then crop-em .  None-the-less... here's the 1.2 pennyweight nug I found before the bullet.

IMG_2645 (3).JPG

Welcome to the club.:rolleyes:

Nice find by the way.....

• Like 1

Nice chunkster Doug! It has brothers and sisters there close. Great find.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Today I walked until my tail was draggin and the brotha -n- sista didn't happen.  But the bird shot, bullet fragments, wire and bullets kept me busy.  You would think a 1.2dwt had a few friends.  :idunno:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, nugget108 said:

You were right Dan!!  It took a bit of walking over an area that I already checked and found a brotha -n- sista....  another 1.2 and a .2 dwt.  I guess I better tighten up my swings a little more.

IMG_2647.JPG

• Like 2
  • well done 2

Whoop whoop!! Awesome Doug!! Time to start griding heavily before the snow sets in.

Good job bud.

• Like 1