Nugget Shooter Forums
Jake7291

Gold flake in iron stone

New stone, and of course it's an iron mineral.  I don't know why my fields have so many iron mineral stones, but they are neat.  This one has what seems like quartz crystals on the outer shell and filling fissures.  Along with that there is heavy iron, oxidization, pieces of gold flakes and silver flakes every so often.  Haven't done streak test yet, got a streak plate coming in tomorrow.  Thought I would share this on the off chance someone could ID it, but mainly just to share my first gold flake spotting. I used a 5x lens for pics, first two pics I tried to center the flake with as little reflection possible.  

IMG_20190930_222235.jpg

IMG_20190930_222659.jpg

IMG_20190930_222500.jpg

You caN take a pin to the gold.  If it crumbles, it’s mica.  If it dents it could be gold.  Also, you an crush it and pan.  When crushed to a fine 50 mesh, it pans just like the sand from the river.

It is malleable, it dented into the stone.  Any suggestions on how to easily crush it?  It is pretty dense iron

It could be pyrite you are looking at. 

2 hours ago, Jake7291 said:

It is malleable, it dented into the stone.  Any suggestions on how to easily crush it?  It is pretty dense iron

Streak picture, the two on the left are from the iron like interior, on the right is outside layer

IMG_20191001_131357.jpg

Also I've got this one, it has silver flakes throughout the whole stone, this is just a piece I broke off.  It almost seems like a pudding stone, but the ones I find here are white and have a lot of jasper and quartz. 5x lens was used for pics

IMG_20191001_140448.jpg

IMG_20191001_140156.jpg

IMG_20191001_135958.jpg

Posted (edited)

To crush, I have a steel mortar and pestle purchased at a prospecting store.  Although I get quite a workout, it is a perfect size for small stone sized samples.  I had used a hammer, but bits of stone would go everywhere. Others have talked about a metal pipe with a pipe cap and placing the stone into a bigger pipe cap, and that's supposed to crush quicker.

If the gold is malleable, you're on the right track.  All the rocks I've ever crushed up ended up with nothing but a speck or two of gold dust.

To my enuducated opinion, it looks like an iron ore from Michigan.

Edited by chrisski
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, chrisski said:

To crush, I have a steel mortar and pestle purchased at a prospecting store.  Although I get quite a workout, it is a perfect size for small stone sized samples.  I had used a hammer, but bits of stone would go everywhere. Others have talked about a metal pipe with a pipe cap and placing the stone into a bigger pipe cap, and that's supposed to crush quicker.

If the gold is malleable, you're on the right track.  All the rocks I've ever crushed up ended up with nothing but a speck or two of gold dust.

To my enuducated opinion, it looks like an iron ore from Michigan.

That pipe and cap seems like a great idea, like a piston pulverizer right?  I'll look into getting a metal mortar and pestle.  More than likely the iron ore will only have a couple flakes like your experience, however this other stone with the silver has a ton.  Does silver work the same to where I can pulverize it and pan it, or is the silver too brittle?  That is if it is silver, it seems magnetic on the flakes

The silver should be like the gold.  It's got a specific gravity of 10.8, so it's twice as dense as the black sands.  With the silver, it's hard to find native silver.  The stuff you see would have reacted with the oxygen and changed to a green or a black compound.

I haven't tried the pipe cap thing myself, but it sounds like a piston pulverizer.  I stopped making my own equipment when I found I was spending less on getting it from a place like Keene, I spent too much on failed experiments in classifiers and trommels for stuff I either never used or fell apart after a couple of uses.

20 minutes ago, chrisski said:

The silver should be like the gold.  It's got a specific gravity of 10.8, so it's twice as dense as the black sands.  With the silver, it's hard to find native silver.  The stuff you see would have reacted with the oxygen and changed to a green or a black compound.

I haven't tried the pipe cap thing myself, but it sounds like a piston pulverizer.  I stopped making my own equipment when I found I was spending less on getting it from a place like Keene, I spent too much on failed experiments in classifiers and trommels for stuff I either never used or fell apart after a couple of uses.

I didn't think about the silver oxidization, what do you supposed that silver stuff is?  I have scraped at them, and they don't break off

Posted (edited)

All the silver I've seen as turned out to be mica.  If you have a 40 X jewelers loupe, the mica usually looks less like mica and more like shiny saran wrap.  There's been a few other minerals I've found that are silverfish which aren't mica.  Iron Pyrite, fools gold, can look silverfish.  It would make sense iron pyrite being mixed into the iron ore.

EDIT:  The silver I see in the photos looks like light reflecting off a crystal like in quarts.  I also see you are already using some kind of loupe.

Edited by chrisski

9 minutes ago, chrisski said:

All the silver I've seen as turned out to be mica.  If you have a 40 X jewelers loupe, the mica usually looks less like mica and more like shiny saran wrap.  There's been a few other minerals I've found that are silverfish which aren't mica.  Iron Pyrite, fools gold, can look silverfish.  It would make sense iron pyrite being mixed into the iron ore.

EDIT:  The silver I see in the photos looks like light reflecting off a crystal like in quarts.  I also see you are already using some kind of loupe.

I'm sorry, the second stone I posted here is not of the same stone.  The silver is not in the first stone that one has the gold flake, which is the one I thought you meant was iron ore.  The second stone is not magnetic, only the silver specs are.  The "loupe" I use is just a small 5x magnifying lens directly in front of my phone camera.

Your streak of the inner portion of the black rock said it all, Pyrite and maybe some minor Chalcopyrite which confirms the minerals seen in your photo.  I have no idea if your purple rock is mineralized.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 4meter said:

Your streak of the inner portion of the black rock said it all, Pyrite and maybe some minor Chalcopyrite which confirms the minerals seen in your photo.  I have no idea if your purple rock is mineralized.

Thank you.  When I look at the second stone with my eye, it is black with navy blue pieces.  In the photo, I agree it seems purple.  I can not get this one to streak, I'm sorry. Here is a pic without lens

IMG_20191001_181329.jpg

Here is the whole stone.  It had a couple silver flakes sticking out, I took a pair of tweezers and was able to pry them around without breaking.  Over got a good  50-60x Jewelers loupe coming tomorrow and will post better pics.

IMG_20191002_205446.jpg

IMG_20191002_205051.jpg

Got my Jewelers loupe, here are a couple pics of a 60x view of the flakes.  I hope you can see them, it's hard to take a picture at the same time. Last pic is of a 30x view

IMG_20191004_180018.jpg

IMG_20191004_180005.jpg

IMG_20191004_175906.jpg