Nugget Shooter Forums

Is this a crystallized plant?

My buddy found this in the Mojave desert. He tried to wash it out at first. His jeweler's loop doesn't have a light and he thought it was just trash in the crevice. I've ordered a microscope that hooks up to the laptop via usb. I'm constantly blown away by the beauty that mother nature creates that might require close inspection to see.

I've also included a pic of piece of chalcedony with what I call "smoke" in it. We have found quite a bit of it in one area recently, and I haven't figured out yet what causes the smoky look in it.

Much respect to everyone in this forum. In the three months that I have been a part of the forum, I have really enjoyed all the information that has been shared and everyone sharing their finds.

20190927_104629.jpg20190928_112413.jpg

I have no idea about the mini lilly in the magnifier. Is it mineral? I would think it would be plant material in there.

The agate is cool. We have the same looking stuff here. Most of the time it is bubbly and wrinkled and has ugly cortex on it. Some are cool tumbling stones. I call them root beer agates because the swirls and "smoke" is often a beautiful cinnamon root beer color. That one has a super shape and looks like it would make an awesome polished stone.

The colors are minerals in the silica. Probably iron or a like mineral like manganese. 

• Like 1

Bob,

It seems to be a plant that has mineralized or crystallized. I have a bunch of the second picture pieces that I've collected. I know that I can't grind on them other than maybe a high grit polish because the root beer is close to the surface, maybe I will try that. I didn't think to check minedat for that area to see what minerals are there that could have caused the coloring. Thank-you!

• Like 1

Sometimes when i tumble rocks like that most of the color goes away. But it leaves some sweet looking veins and patterns.

My computer is getting serviced and I can't figure this phone out or I would show you some. They are some of my favorite rocks.

I have a bunch of lithic flakes from the natives making arrowheads from that stuff. They really polish up nice.

Sometimes there will be a core in the nodules like an egg yolk that is rich brown swirls. I started breaking them with a copper billet and tumbling the flakes. They always take a nice polish and make great looking stones. Really easy stuff to shine up too.

That little flower is wild. I have no freaking idea at all.  You really can't see the rock in the photo. Is it limestone or something that would be fossilized?

• Like 1

I look forward to seeing pictures of your favorites. I will get a picture of the whole rock. If I remember correctly it is a piece of agate/chalcedony that had fairly thick water lines on one side. There is quite a bit of mud in the area that has hardened. There is a lot of green mineral in the area, but we have found jasper with blue, red, green, purple all banded in it. The variety is what has kept me going back to that same area.