Nugget Shooter Forums
Jake7291

Found massive strange stone

Got another one, this one was about 80 pounds until I broke it.  I noticed a small fracture going through it so I took a tiny hammer and tapped along the line.  The stone broke in half. These are the pictures of two pieces, another portion broke apart as well along another fracture.  Any idea as to what it is?   It is slightly magnetic and fairly hard, I can't break a 1"-1/8" in half with my hands without it hurting.

IMG_20190928_133557.jpg

IMG_20190928_133614.jpg

IMG_20190928_133629.jpg

IMG_20190928_133654.jpg

IMG_20190928_133739.jpg

IMG_20190928_133537.jpg

IMG_20190928_133756.jpg

Do I need better pictures?  Or are my posts becoming too frequent?

7 minutes ago, Jake7291 said:

Do I need better pictures?  Or are my posts becoming too frequent?

I wouldn't worry about you posting too frequently, it's the weekend and most are out doing weekend stuff and as such most forums are slow on the weekends!

1 minute ago, Au Seeker said:

I wouldn't worry about you posting too frequently, it's the weekend and most are out doing weekend stuff and as such most forums are slow on the weekends!

Thanks for the clear up, I should have known better.  I'll be more patient now haha

May be strange for your area but to me, it looks like an ordinary rock....

Here is a couple pics of one of the holes, there are three of them on the outside.  This is the biggest one, about the width of a pencil, there are crystals growing in it.  The other holes seem barren.

IMG_20190930_074348.jpg

IMG_20190930_074335.jpg

I see rocks like that all the time. Nothing really special about it imho.

The only way to identify the rock is to identify the minerals it is comprised of and observe what physical state they are in (oxidized, crystallized, etc.etc)

In you photo you can't see those constiuents. There is no way to know what they are.

It looks like common field stone of the sedimentary metamorphic variety. But it could be anything.

Pick up a good field guide for identifying rocks and get a hammer and a magnifying glass. Before posting a rock break a piece off with a hammer. Not at a natural fissure but into the solid meat of the rock. Take a look at the individual mineral grains and try to identify them. Use the field guide to take you through the process. 

You will be able to ID rocks a lot easier. And when you can't you will be able to give us the info we need to help you.

Im not going to try and explain mineral ID typing on my phone with my thumb. You are going to have to take initiative on that one. There are lots of good guides out there and the process is not difficult to understand.

The photos and info you post do not help to ID the rocks. You need to learn what differentiates one rock from the other and post info that we can use to help you.

Rather than trying to identify rocks you have found, identify their mineral constituents. Once you can identify basic minerals then identifying rocks is a lot easier. Show us a few minerals and we can identify the rocks.