Nugget Shooter Forums
Charlesfore

Help identifying please

Howdy folks. Could someone please help me in identifying this piece. I want to say that it's jade. Also if like help identifying the writing as well. Thank you all in advance.

20190927_134834.jpg

20190927_134857.jpg

20190927_134950.jpg

20190927_134848.jpg

20190927_135029.jpg

Well jade can come in all colors  represented  in your  pics.  I see linear markings  that could be scratches or maybe a clear coat(brush strokes) over the jade.

I assume that its weight is indicative  of actual stone and not painted wood...

A hot pin dragged on the surface will stick or catch a bit , if fake, plastic.

It is extremely heavy. I have not done any tests(scratch). Can you explain how? This piece came from Hawaii 40-50 years ago. Would a jeweler be able to tell me more about it? Locally

I suggest you contact these people.

http://www.orientalheritageinc.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwibzsBRAMEiwA1pHZrq2W5W_64VAsF3NU63piPQT-55-WJqmz1DqJennHejoqwZPj9xsl0BoCRs8QAvD_BwE

There's many other links if you Google "chinese antiques"

If they can't help, I'm sure they can recommend someone who can.

Edited by Morlock

Let us know what you find out. I'm curious myself.

• Like 1

Really reminds me of a Japanese hanko, or official stamp seal.  The bottom would be dipped in ink and stamped to make important documents official, like a signature.  What is different, is the stamp portion I have seen would be square or circular, no more than an inch across.  The stamps I’ve seen are a red color that matches what is in the grooves on the bottom.  This stamp is rectangular. Korean and Japanese both use kanji.  In writing that long, this alphabet would certainly appear, so I’m going towards Chinese origin.

From the side, it really looks wooded.  Perhaps a hard wood since its so heavy.

Edited by chrisski

Looks like jade to me, the Chinese have carved jade for thousands of years. Take a steel knife and see if you can scratch it. Jade will not scratch it is 6-6.5 on the mohes scale which is harder than a knife. 

1 hour ago, Charlesfore said:

It is extremely heavy. I have not done any tests(scratch). Can you explain how? This piece came from Hawaii 40-50 years ago. Would a jeweler be able to tell me more about it? Locally

I have some old carved oriental pieces that are heavy and the color is similar, but they are fossil ivory not Jade. Whatever it is made of it is a nice piece.

Bob

On 9/28/2019 at 5:43 AM, Morlock said:

I suggest you contact these people.

http://www.orientalheritageinc.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwibzsBRAMEiwA1pHZrq2W5W_64VAsF3NU63piPQT-55-WJqmz1DqJennHejoqwZPj9xsl0BoCRs8QAvD_BwE

There's many other links if you Google "chinese antiques"

If they can't help, I'm sure they can recommend someone who can.

Thanks for posting the link.  I have a oriental vase that my grandparents have had for many years.  It is inlaid all kinds of stone and depicts a oriental person riding on the back of a lion of some sort.  Been wanting to check out what it is... but never took that step. Thanks