Nugget Shooter Forums

Need opinions on two potential meteorites..

I've done hours of research, and I have never seen one like it. (The one with the partial crust.) Both are magnetic, but the one with the crust is not highly magnetic,  and the other weathered one with the rusted flecks inside is. If they are, I am eager to sell.. fyi. : )
whiteowl1144@gmail.com
*Found in Southern Oregon.

IMG_20190923_120834962.jpg

IMG_20190923_120857681.jpg

IMG_20190923_120910343.jpg

IMG_20190923_120834962.jpg

IMG_20190923_120842746.jpg

IMG_20190923_122941630.jpg

IMG_20190923_122950546.jpg

IMG_20190923_123001705.jpg

IMG_20190923_123010708.jpg

IMG_20190923_123025475.jpg

Edited by White.owl1144

They both look like they could be meteorites. If the first one is real, it is a good example of the glypts becoming the holes. I would get it more data if you are tring to sell it, so you can get it verified by the Meteoritical Bulletin. That adds to the value.

• Like 1

Do the basic field tests. Streak and window. Do a bit of reading in this forum and you will find detailed info on how to accomplish this.

If your rock passes the foundational tests for free metallic iron then (and only then) is it a possible meteorite.

Your rock is basalt. It is very easy to differentiate from a meteorite using basic mineral testing methodology.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, WillM said:

They both look like they could be meteorites. If the first one is real, it is a good example of the glypts becoming the holes. I would get it more data if you are tring to sell it, so you can get it verified by the Meteoritical Bulletin. That adds to the value.

Will

Why don't you learn the basic field tests for identifying meteorites?

Since you are interested in the field wouldn't it be a good time to learn the procedure? This is a good place to learn from guys who actually go out and find them. 

It is just basic testing methodology. If you learn about it you could possibly locate a meteorite. It would be better than having no idea how to identify a meteorite and trying to find one.

Streak and window is the very first thing a meteorite hunter does with a suspect rock. You can positively rule out 99% of all meteor wrongs with this simple test. Then you can start to learn the difference between gas bubbles and regmaglypts. 

5 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Will

Why don't you learn the basic field tests for identifying meteorites?

Since you are interested in the field wouldn't it be a good time to learn the procedure? This is a good place to learn from guys who actually go out and find them. 

It is just basic testing methodology. If you learn about it you could possibly locate a meteorite. It would be better than having no idea how to identify a meteorite and trying to find one.

Streak and window is the very first thing a meteorite hunter does with a suspect rock. You can positively rule out 99% of all meteor wrongs with this simple test. Then you can start to learn the difference between gas bubbles and regmaglypts. 

I didn't know it was a procedure lol. I did the window test like a month after I found one. I didn't know it was so definitive.

Edited by WillM
3 minutes ago, WillM said:

I didn't know it was a procedure lol. I did the window test like a month after I found one. I didn't know it was so definitive.

What you don't know about meteorites is a big hurdle for you. What you think you know about them is an even bigger problem.

Just start with the basics and learn it one step at a time. Don't pretend you are an expert or that every rock is a meteorite. Just relax and enjoy learning something new. 

There are only a few tests and observations that you can do. Then it is up to the real experts. Learn the accepted testing methodology rather than trying to create your own. Find a stone that passes the accepted testing methodology. 

It is a much shorter path to a meteorite than the path that you are on. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, White.owl1144 said:

Lol I've never met such self-righteous rock enthusiasts before. They pass all the field tests, besides the window test, which be I'll be borrowing a rock cutting saw later today to cut a window into each. I'll post updated pictures afterwards. 👍

If it passed the field tests then you know it is free metallic iron that is attracting the magnet. 

If it did not pass the field test you know it is mineral iron attracting the magnet.

Either way when you look in the window you will see which type of iron is in there. 

It is not self righteous. It is just the basic field test for iron.

Why don't you show us how you did that field test. I can't imagine that your rocks contain metallic iron. Either you do not understand the test or interpreted it wrong.

Streak and a small window is all you need to differentiate a terrestrial mineral from a meteorite. If your rock passed the test it could only be an artifact or a meteorite. 

It is obviously oxidized iron that is attracting the magnet. A field test properly done will prove this instantly. No rock saw needed.

If you don't understand the basic test just ask or look back at my recent posts in this thread. I think once you understand how and why you will see that it is not so self righteous. It is just basic chemistry and one simple observation.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
You should be as eager to show us metallic iron as you are to sell.

They failed the most basic field test: visual.  They display absolutely no traits of a meteorite.  I'm sorry you don't like to hear that, but no reason to come here and call us all "self-righteous".

• Like 3
  • well done 1
1 hour ago, Mikestang said:

They failed the most basic field test: visual.  They display absolutely no traits of a meteorite.  I'm sorry you don't like to hear that, but no reason to come here and call us all "self-righteous".

That is mighty insensitive of you Mike. He is heartbroken and needs someone to lash out at. Why can't you just be his whipping boy. He was so eager to sell too. :cry2:

You just wait until you see what is in that window. That is going to teach you. You self-righteous old rascal. :)

Have you noticed the sudden uptick in aluminum foil headgear around this joint. It is like a zombie virus. I kinda think all this slingshot ammunition is flying out of the same direction if you know what I mean. Too many exploding Martian sandstones and diamond studded hunks of slang from Venus.

I think this could be the work of a sinister mind.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Seems to come in waves, this is a large wave.

I'm thinking it might be correlated with insecticide overexposure. Or a seasonal virus that spun out of whack.

Toxoplasmosis Gondii is a parasite you can get from cat crap. It roots in your brain and makes you like cats. If the parasite gets in a mouse brain they loose fear of cats.

Can you imagine a worm in your brain that affects your thoughts toward their host organism? That is beyond the Twilight Zone man!

They say brainworms and viruses affect our thoughts and behavior to a much greater extent than we could ever imagine. Some think mental illness is often related to parasites and viruses.

I'm thinking some parasite, virus, fungal spore or chemical is making people see meteorites. It is obviously a temporal issue of some sort. The thought process proceeds in exactly the same way every time. It is almost as if they are scripted.

It is freaking body snatchers bro.

It darn sure isn't about the rocks.

Humans are funny sh!t. What makes them tick is some strange sauce indeed. Especially when imagination fills voids in the absence of knowledge.