Nugget Shooter Forums

I have been working on my house up here most every day since April (of this year) UGH  :grr01:; making repairs, upgrades, painting inside and out etc., etc., etc. all for the sole purpose of putting it on the market to sell.  So, due to that purpose and because of the excessive heat, I haven't been out much, nor down into the lower desert areas...and have also  become antzeeeee and rar'n to get back out.  ...Well about a week-or-so ago we where getting some fairly good (late) monsoon rains and I saw on Accuweather  where they where slamming an area pretty hard that I wanted to explore.  I had been to the area and had found some gold, but not much as most of the exposed bedrock in the wash was pooled-up at each time I was there.  So I figured on returning to the area once the summer heat had dried up the wash.  So this late monsoon storm should have been a great time go back down there. 

...Now, I usually pride myself in being prepared :yesss:for most-all situations when out in the field:  I carry two hydraulic jacks, a come-along, chains, cable, two spare tires, extra water for the radiator, extra water for me, snake gaters, an extra battery for my detector. etc., etc., etc.,etc........................But I wasn't at all prepared for what I ran into that next morning....  While making my way down a very rough road I observed that there was fresh green grass all over the hills and valleys and thought:  "Boy i'll bet these cows are just loving all this fresh green grass that had sprouted due to the monsoon rains of-late".  I finally made it down into the wash where I wanted to go.  Two washes had actually merged together, and when I got to the spot where I figured on parking my pickup I was surprised to see that all the water had been blocked or backed up (somehow), which had formed a very large pond-like-lake of still and standing water?!!??  So, that was as far as I could drive without getting stuck in the mud.  I thought I'd walk on down and take a better look at the situation, so I no more than got out of my pickup, walked about 10 ft. down the wash when I was completely covered with, and being bombarded by "hoards" of very hungry mosquito's.:yikes: I had a long sleeve shirt on and it was "peppered-with" them all over.  They were all over my exposed hands, and I had to slap them off of my face, ears, and eyes.   These weren't just a few here and there buzz'n me, there where so many that I had a hard time breathing because I would suck them in when I inhaled!!!!  It was kind of like those caribou herds up in Alaska that are being attacked by the mosquito's where they are trying to get rid of them by flapping their heads and ears around, and trying to outrun them.  So,  I ran back to my pickup, got in and slammed the door,.........and about 10-20 of the persistent critters followed me in!!!!!  I took my ball cap off and was thrashing them as they tried to escape via the windows. 

When I got those in the cab of my pickup under control, I didn't want to have a completely wasted day due to these blood sucking critters, so I grabbed my detector and back pack and made a mad-dash for the hillside (figuring that "maybe" they where just in the wash close-to the accumulated-water-pond(lake)).  The grass on the hillside was almost a foot long in spots and was very wet from the rainstorm from the night before.  As I struggled and made my way up the hillside the mosquito's were NOT getting any fewer, and the more I walked thru the wet brush and grass the worse conditions got!!!!!  Even with a small breeze they just weren't leaving.  So, (disappointed as I was) I made my way back down the hillside toward my pickup,.. thrashing and slapping my face, ears, and wildly-in-the-air;  and vowed to return "After" the first freeze hits that bug-infested area.   

I think that the last couple monsoon rains (because they came so late in the year this year) had triggered a massive mosquito-hatching (outbreak) in that area, and when they hatched, they popped-out Very Aggressive and Hungry for blood.  I just happened to become the menu-of-the-day, as I became Prey..................just something else to stick-ya, stab-ya, poke-ya, jab-ya, and scratch-ya out there in the Arizona desert,............YEEEE..HAAAAAA.  Gary      

• Like 5
  • wow 1

Mosquito net head covering, thin gloves, (or 40% Deet repellent-lotion), thicker long sleeved shirt, . . . and ankle weights to hold you down on the ground? :)

• Like 1

The worlds worst mosquito infestation is Nullagine, NW, Australia. Impossible to take a bite of food without a few in your mouth with the food. 

Like BMc says a head net that goes down past your shoulders, put the spoon of food up under the net to get it into your mouth. 

Been there done that!

• Like 1

Well, thats one more thing for you and I to throw in the truck for our trips......bug spray!

Was that in the lower desert or up around where you are. 

I have noticed a lot more skeeters out in my workshop this last week also. We didnt get them earlier as we usually do so you may be right in its a late hatch out.

Tom H.

1 hour ago, garimpo said:

. Impossible to take a bite of food without a few in your mouth with the food. 

Do they taste good?:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Do they taste good?:rolleyes:

Not sure about the Australia variety.. but here in the SE after a few beers :2drink:and just the right seasonings they taste like tiny chickens. :droolin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • wow 1

I did the GPAA Nome, Alaska trip in the early eighties.  Tons of mosquitoes.  But I didn't have a problem with them because I brought the concentrated LIQUID repellent with me. NOT SPRAY!   Muskol or Deet are fine as long as it is the LIQUID.  Sure, the skeeters would still cloud around your body, but they kept a 5-6" distance.  Put it on as if it were sunblock.  You will STINK while you wear it, so don't put it on and then expect to run errands or visit folks.  But it will keep them off you while you swing that coil or feed that high banker.

oh, did I say to get the LIQUID?

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went to a tropical climate in the service where we stayed in a roofed but not walled facility in summer.  We were sleeping on cots and the mosquitos were terrible.  Its the only place I've been at you truly needed a mosquito net on the cot to sleep.  Put your arm on the net at night and the whole area that was touching the screen would be red from where they bit through the net.  The mosquito net was the single biggest thing to keep bugs away.

The next was the tubes of bug repellant they'd issue us.  That was 34% DEET and worked well.  I usually shy away from bug sprays, but there I would use it.  There's some 30% DEET for sale on AMAZON. 

I never did treat my uniforms with permethrin because of fear of cancer, but probably would if I went back.  That area was malaria infested and didn't take the prophylaxis meds, and feel lucky I did not come down with anything severe.

• Like 3

One has to be very careful about selecting a repellent.  Many are allergic to 'DEET'.  It can raise heck with your breathing and such.  Try it before going out in the field.  You don't want to have a allergic attack alone out there.  

Has anyone had any experience with New Jersey mosquitos?  I spent a lot of time in the Pine Barrens, and there they argue just where they are going to eat you.  They might take you to the lake or into the swamp.    :th_panic:

Old Tom

• Like 1

Yea, in the past, especially during the summer months I would usually use a "Mosquito net head covering" and carry a can of OFF bug spray with me to ward-off the biting fly's (deer fly's) that won't let you alone up here on and around the Lynx Creek area.  But I had never been down to this area (this was in the lower desert area)  just after a "late" monsoon storm, so I didn't even think about being prepared for an all-out-attack of famished-skeeters that day.  And as for them arguing where to eat me,...there was no arguing about it,.............it was right there just outside my pickup door!!!..............SO, yea TOM H.,....  better start bringing along some mosquito netting for you head and the OFF bug spray works pretty good as well.  :barnie:

Oh yea, I ran this experience on Rob Allison's forum and he came back and said that his horses have been hit especially hard this year from multiple mosquito bites down outside the Phoenix area where he lives as well.  .........Now where did I last-pack that mosquito netting and can of OFF bug spray last year??????:89:????????  Gary   

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Not sure about the Australia variety.. but here in the SE after a few beers :2drink:and just the right seasonings they taste like tiny chickens. :droolin:

Once again the first one doesn't have a chance, that's a good one Skip

• Like 2