Nugget Shooter Forums

Will Wax Rustproof Meteorite Slices?

Anyone know if wax, specifically Renaissance wax will prevent rusting on iron meteorite slices? Seems it might prevent oxygen from reacting to the iron which would prevent rusting. Or is it a bad idea for other reasons.

• Like 1

That's a good question Morlock, i am a wood worker, but have not had the chance to experiment with Renaissance wax, and the general idea is to prevent oxidation on the meteorite surface so i wonder too? Maybe you might be on to a good idea, seems interesting to me. Rust would have a tuff time forming on a layer of wax it seems. 

Apparently some meteorites rust much more than others...assuming you can get the water out, wax may work...

there are articles regarding rust...maybe the Meteorite Magazine, Rocks from Space or The Encyclopedia of Meteorite.

the last two by O. Richard Norton

fred

I don't think any meteorite curator would recommend sealing up a meteorite; it's going to have moisture sealed inside it.  Best thing to do it keep it in a sealed case with desiccant.

• Like 1

A plexiglass box purged with nitrogen is how NASA stores the moon rocks. Inside a climate controlled vault. They store all sorts of stuff in nitrogen environments to prevent rust.

A mason jar with dessicant purged with nitrogen is a virtually rust free environment. It would be cheap and easy to do.

FYI shellac is not moisture resistant at all. It would be useless as a rust inhibitor and would drastically change the appearance. Shellac is a very primitive finish made from insects.

Shellac provides fill for open grained wood when using an oil finish. It is the oil that provides moisture protection. Not the shellac.

A urethane spray like Scotch Guard might inhibit rust. I think it would still allow water vapor to exchange and not seal moisture in. It would keep any condensation away from the surface. If'n I was going to coat one with anything it would be an invisible urethane. Maybe some kind of silicone concoction. But not a "finish" of any kind.

why hasn't me handmade .54 cal. muzzleloader barrel and stock and trimmings have no sign of rust or deteariation since 1982 when me built it. violins have restored back then to. shellac has a natural wax in it. best moisture barrier there is.

shellac is a moisture barrier but is not waterproof. on table tops standing water that isn't wiped off soon will leave a white spot. easy fix, wrap linen around a cotten ball, few drops shellac and drop of mineral oil, gently rub the white stain and it will disappear.

5 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

shellac is a moisture barrier but is not waterproof. on table tops standing water that isn't wiped off soon will leave a white spot. easy fix, wrap linen around a cotten ball, few drops shellac and drop of mineral oil, gently rub the white stain and it will disappear.

The takeaway here is that shellac would suck to keep an iron meteorite from rusting.

...on the other hand...

A jar with some dessicant in it, purged with a handy inert gas would work great.

• Like 2