Nugget Shooter Forums
Cheshirecat

This one looks wormy!!

Can anyone tell me what this rock is? Found on the beach here in Newfoundland.

20190917_161545.jpg

20190917_161600.jpg

20190917_161610.jpg

It is fossilized some darn thing or the other. I would say it is sea life but that is a wild guess. 

There are  stratas of fossiliferous limestone just about everywhere. That is a chunk of fossiliferous limestone that was solid enough to hang together and survive the erosionary processes for a while. You can see where the limestone eroded faster than the silicified fossils. That it why the fossil texture is raised.

They look like worm tubes or long shells. Maybe some sort of freaky bacterial or plant life. I have no idea on what they were back then. But now they are silicon dioxide replacements in a limestone matrix. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is fossilized some darn thing or the other. I would say it is sea life but that is a wild guess. 

There are  stratas of fossiliferous limestone just about everywhere. That is a chunk of fossiliferous limestone that was solid enough to hang together and survive the erosionary processes for a while. You can see where the limestone eroded faster than the silicified fossils. That it why the fossil texture is raised.

They look like worm tubes or long shells. Maybe some sort of freaky bacterial or plant life. I have no idea on what they were back then. But now they are silicon dioxide replacements in a limestone matrix. 

Thanks!! What is a good method of cleaning stone so that the bryozoans are more clear? (I googled what you said and found that word under a similar photo..  LOL.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheshirecat said:

Thanks!! What is a good method of cleaning stone so that the bryozoans are more clear? (I googled what you said and found that word under a similar photo..  LOL.)

A bath in vinegar might clean your bryzoans. I know it does wonders for mine. :)

Maybe leave them overnight or longer and monitor it to make sure things are doing what you want them to. If that does not work try some dilute Muriatic acid. 

The fossils will be pretty much insoluble in most acids. The limestone matrix may be pretty tough but will erode back slowly. I would start slowly with mild acid and give it time and maybe even some heat to help it long rather than using stronger acids. And remember when using muratic acid it will liberate some fumes so make sure to only do it outside and downwind. One good hit of that stuff will choke the crap out of you.

If it bubbles a little when it hits the stone your mix is strong enough. So dilute the acid as needed to give it a gentle action. Heat it a little to increase action. Keep the reaction slow until you are confident you are getting the effect you want.

After you use acid a dental pick will probably give them some sharp relief. The acid will weaken the limestone and you may be able to abrade it with a sharp instrument around the fossils.

When you clean it up post the results! Tell us what worked and what you tried.

Bob

22 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

A bath in vinegar might clean your bryzoans. I know it does wonders for mine. :)

Maybe leave them overnight or longer and monitor it to make sure things are doing what you want them to. If that does not work try some dilute Muriatic acid. 

The fossils will be pretty much insoluble in most acids. The limestone matrix may be pretty tough but will erode back slowly. I would start slowly with mild acid and give it time and maybe even some heat to help it long rather than using stronger acids. And remember when using muratic acid it will liberate some fumes so make sure to only do it outside and downwind. One good hit of that stuff will choke the crap out of you.

If it bubbles a little when it hits the stone your mix is strong enough. So dilute the acid as needed to give it a gentle action. Heat it a little to increase action. Keep the reaction slow until you are confident you are getting the effect you want.

After you use acid a dental pick will probably give them some sharp relief. The acid will weaken the limestone and you may be able to abrade it with a sharp instrument around the fossils.

When you clean it up post the results! Tell us what worked and what you tried.

Bob

Thanks, I daresay vinegar is the way I will go. I have to drive an hour to get the muriatic acid so maybe down the road I will try it. For sure I will post pics. Thanks again. :)