Nugget Shooter Forums
Jake7291

Past find at beach

I was out at the shores of lake Huron skipping stones and stumbled upon a flat round dark stone with what I thought was a quartz vein.  I began to carve it with carbide bits in a Dremel with water for lubrication.  I was going to try just carving out and suspending the vein in the stone.  I'm sorry I did not take pictures of the raw form, but my pictures start halfway through.

I started right near the exposed bit, kept carving out stone to until the vein was visible.  When I started carving from the exterior of the stone, that's when it got strange.  My carbide bits would slowly eat through the stone, but once it hit the material, it would halt my progress allowing me to easily and safely carve around this precious specimen.  It was not quartz, but a fossil.  Any help in identification would be appreciated.  Until then, enjoy my first major fossil find besides Petoskey stones.

Final pictures after first three are of final polishing.  I used 80grit sand paper up to 2000

IMG_20190722_222302.jpg

IMG_20190722_222213.jpg

IMG_20190722_222137.jpg

IMG_20190916_215848.jpg

IMG_20190916_215804.jpg

IMG_20190916_215748.jpg

• Like 1
  • well done 1

Wow, sure looks like an old, old bone with a ball/ socket look about it.  A paleontologist  at a local museum, university ought to have a gander.

• Like 2

What an awesome shape!

No doubt a fossilized some dam thing. You did a great job of cleaning it up!

It is difficult to tell of it is plant, animal or sea life. 

I am anxious to hear what you find out about it. With such a unique shape someone is bound to know what izzit.

• Like 2

that’s a very mineralised and therefore extreamly old fossil!  Great job with the prep work it looks amazing! 

I have no idea what it is sorry but like Bedrock Bob, said it shouldn’t be to difficult to ID for those who know because of its shape.

in saying that I looked at whale and turtle vertebrae and couldn’t see anything similar so can’t wait to see what it is!

• Like 1

Zooming in on your second picture it looks very much like horn coral. The only horn coral fossils I’ve seen have been composed of calcite which is quite soft. Makes me question my ID. Perhaps horn corals from some locales have been replaced with silica which is much harder, and perhaps that’s what you’ve got.

So since I live over 2 hours from the nearest University or museum, I did the next best thing and took these same pictures and emailed them to the paleontological society website.  They have an ID team, and when they get back to me, I will post what they have to say on here.

• Like 2

I'm with d-day.  I bet it comes back as a horn coral on fossil bearing limestone.  There could be some replacement of the calcite with quartz.  That happens quite a bit.

• Like 1

Just to say that's an incredible find! 

It's lovely.

Happiness!!