Nugget Shooter Forums

Very dense with metallic sound when thrown

I carve and polish stones as a hobby and I have a few curious stones that I would like to try and identify.  I was messing with one today that was fairly heavy for it's size.  I threw it against some boulders to try and fracture it.  Wouldn't work after 10 throws, tried a sledge hammer and that took 12 swing s and this is all I could manage to bust.  It seems to have cracked off because of corrosion?  There is rust in areas on the stone, but it doesn't seem to be magnetic.  Any idea as to what this could be.  I did streak test, very faint blue, almost shiny.  It can scratch quarts and stainless steel.

IMG_20190914_203907.jpg

IMG_20190914_203945.jpg

IMG_20190914_203953.jpg

IMG_20190914_204015.jpg

Update: so I was finally able to split a bigger portion of this stone, 6 more swings with a 10 pound sledge.  Here are the pictures, there are whitish veins that seem to rust on the parts exposed outside of the stone.  The dark areas on the black are just wet, it was raining out a little

IMG_20190915_111757.jpg

IMG_20190915_111656.jpg

IMG_20190915_111735.jpg

IMG_20190915_111847.jpg

IMG_20190915_111813.jpg

On 9/15/2019 at 11:27 AM, Jake7291 said:

Nice, I'm going to polish it up then. Thanks!

Would you be able to post pictures of it post - polish?

I have some look just like it, same description. Do they have a sparkly sheen to them in good lighting?

I'm curious to know what they turn out like.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Sonja said:

Would you be able to post pictures of it post - polish?

I have some look just like it, same description. Do they have a sparkly sheen to them in good lighting?

I'm curious to know what they turn out like.

Thanks!

Sure will, going to do it tomorrow when I get new belts and blade in from Amazon. It doesn't really shine too much, only a few spots here and there of a flake of what I am sure is quartz

• Like 1